• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Goggles that don't fog my glasses?

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone with astigmatism, and thinking about anything in their goggles (prescription goggles, inserts, whatever) that will require a curved lens, make sure you check with your optometrist before ordering anything.

I have high astigmatism in one eye and a pretty good amount in the other, and my prescription *cannot* be put into a curved lens.
I worked at a mine for a while where the only approved prescription safety glasses had curved lenses, so we tried to fill the prescription, and it took about 30 seconds of wearing the glasses for me to be looking for somewhere to hurl, the distortion was so bad. Never did come up with a solution.

My fogging problems always go away a few turns after I start moving, so I just live with it...

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have astigmatism also. My inserts are not curved. One of my goggles is a wrap style and the inserts don't curve with it. I think people get the impression that inserts are placed on the original goggle lens---they aren't. It's more like your own glasses Rx made and put into its own little frame, without the ear pieces.

I do remember though when I first ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses. Like the previous post mentioned---wrap style sunglass and Rx---Hurl.........had to have the frame heated and adjusted to remove the wrap style.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got contacts again after a 10year haitus, only wear them skiing (and will for biking season). But before that I'd have luck with OTG goggles. I think I have Smith. Yeah, they were not beautiful but I rarely had fogging issues. The only time I did was if some snow got inside of them (so I rarely take them off when skiing, like on the chairlift) or if I was so bundled the airholes couldn't 'breath'. Like if my neck gator went up to or over my nose and closed up vents. But like someone else said, usually if they fogged, once I got moving they'd clear.

OH..make sure they fit with your helmet - have to try on goggles with your helmet to be sure they fit together.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went throught his problem too. I finally ordered some perscription insers from Sport RX who were great and really helpful. Then i ordered the Smith Phernom goggles with a fan. So far, this system has been great for me.

I do have the problem at lunch that I don't see very well. Sometimes I bring my glasses in a hard case, some days i just tought it out.

FLGIRL

Certified Ski Diva
Our next attempt was to get contacts. They were great for a number of years. However, I reached a point where my eyes were allergic to the contacts, and there was so much protein buildup that I could only use a lens for one day. Plus I needed reading glasses along with my contacts to read a trail map, at which point I gave up on contacts. :confused:

OMG, I have this same problem too! The "contact conundrum" I really only use contacts for skiing and once I take my goggles off, can't read the trail map or a menu! I'm hopeless! I need to get some prescription goggles.

BTW, what does OTG mean?

FLGIRL

Certified Ski Diva
I went throught his problem too. I finally ordered some perscription insers from Sport RX who were great and really helpful. Then i ordered the Smith Phernom goggles with a fan. So far, this system has been great for me.

What do you mean "with a fan"? I don't understand.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, what does OTG mean?

OTG = Over The Glasses

My husband, who has prescription goggles, can't see when he takes them off, either. Luckily, he skis with me most of the time, so I help.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean "with a fan"? I don't understand.

There are some goggles that have a little battery-operated fan inside to circulate the air and prevent fogging. For some people, they work beautifully. My husband had nothing but problems with his, so he opted for the prescription goggles, instead.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG, I have this same problem too! The "contact conundrum" I really only use contacts for skiing and once I take my goggles off, can't read the trail map or a menu! I'm hopeless!
One possibility - and it doesn't work for everyone - is "monovision." I have been wearing one distance and one close-up lens for almost 20 years. It's really just a variation of bifocals. When you have your eyes examined, your optometrist can do a simple test that takes about 30 seconds that determines if you are a candidate for this - i.e., can your brain process the need to use one eye for distance and one for close-up. The test will be back and forth from eye chart to close book, fast.

I wouldn't be altogether comfortable sitting and reading an entire book with monovision correction (although many do), but it certainly addresses the "can't read trail map" conundrum when wearing contacts.

Many years ago, someone told me about this on a plane trip. It intrigued me, as I'd had similar problems. Asked for this test next eye exam, passed it, haven't looked back since. It's really great to be able to read a trail map! (or---the speedometer!)

altagirl

Staff member
Some people have Lasik done in monovision too. Heh, I guess you'd REALLY want to try it out with contacts and make sure it doesn't give you a headache first...

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thought I should update with my current goggle situation.

After trying on numerous pairs of goggles, I purchased the Smith I/O. It is not really meant to be worn with glasses, but it fits well over my frames and because the lenses are spherical, there is plenty of room for the air to circulate. I skied with them in a blizzard last week and even fell once, and they did not fog. One time as I got off the lift they fogged a bit, and I just lifted them slighty off my face, and they cleared up. I skied for about 3 hours and never had any problems. Plus, they come with 2 lenses which interchange very easily. One is for flat light, the other for sunnier conditions. The one for flat light gave me much better contrast than any other lens I have used in any other pair of goggles. DH tried them for a run, and he agreed that the lens gave him outstanding vision in the flat light. :clap:

I also purchased a pair of Zeal OTG goggles. They are a smaller OTG than others I have tried, and fit me well. I used them on a nice day and they did very well, but I have not yet tried them in a blizzard. I will report back when I do. :noidea:

MST

Diva in Training
I'm trying to find the UVex perscription goggles in Canada (I'm in Vancouver) with no luck - has anyone purchased any in Canada? With the inserts, are they like glasses? I can not wear contacts and find that I wear my sunglasses all the time so I can see, the over the glasses goggles do not work for me. Thanks.

MT_Skier

Diva in Training
Oakley A-frames

I had the same problem earlier this season, then I got the Oakley A-frames. Personally the Oakley A-frames are the best pair of goggles I have ever owned, they didn't fog and they fit perfectly over my glasses =]

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't post on this thread last season, probably because I was so depressed about the subject. My problem seems to be that I sweat when I'm active, even if I'm not very warm; it's not moisture coming from my body or breath, but from my face and eyes, which water even with goggles on. So OTG goggles just don't work.

My optometrist was all excited about Rudy Project goggles with inserts, so I tried some with anti-fog coating on the inserts. The goggles never fogged and I love the racing red, which is great for contrast. In dry weather the inserts were fine while was moving or facing a breeze, but otherwise they fogged on the lift, if I was skiing facing out of the wind, if I stood still, if I slowed down, and sometimes even if I was moving fast on a warm day. Balaclava, no balaclava, no difference. I had him remove the anti-fog coating so I could try Cat Crap, FogTech, and other coatings, but still no difference.

Finally I took a tumble in a narrow part of a trail, got snow on the goggles, took them off to get to the side of the run, and halfway down the hill realized the inserts fell out when I took the goggles off. $150 down the drain! So I used my Rx sunglasses when I could, even if my eyes teared up, and skied with limited vision in goggles when it was too cold or snowy. My vision starts getting blurry about 6 feet away, so flat light meant skiing by feel. :fear:

I've got dry eyes to start with, so contacts won't work. Lasik sounds better but a little scary, and I don't have the $$ right now. I'm tempted to try the Smith I/O because maybe the spherical lens will make a difference, but it seems like quite a gamble to spend that kind of money without being able to return them (though maybe they'd take the $165 goggle itself back if they didn't work).

So even though Uvex prescription goggles with the Rx built into the lens look ugly as sin, I'm leaning towards getting them as a last resort. No interchangeable lenses, but they're relatively cheap and hopefully they'd have something amber to help with flat light. It would be so nice to be able to see the view clearly while skiing...

Sorry about the rant; I guess I have PTGS (post-traumatic goggle syndrome).

MST

Diva in Training
I didn't post on this thread last season, probably because I was so depressed about the subject. My problem seems to be that I sweat when I'm active, even if I'm not very warm; it's not moisture coming from my body or breath, but from my face and eyes, which water even with goggles on. So OTG goggles just don't work.

My optometrist was all excited about Rudy Project goggles with inserts, so I tried some with anti-fog coating on the inserts. The goggles never fogged and I love the racing red, which is great for contrast. In dry weather the inserts were fine while was moving or facing a breeze, but otherwise they fogged on the lift, if I was skiing facing out of the wind, if I stood still, if I slowed down, and sometimes even if I was moving fast on a warm day. Balaclava, no balaclava, no difference. I had him remove the anti-fog coating so I could try Cat Crap, FogTech, and other coatings, but still no difference.

Finally I took a tumble in a narrow part of a trail, got snow on the goggles, took them off to get to the side of the run, and halfway down the hill realized the inserts fell out when I took the goggles off. $150 down the drain! So I used my Rx sunglasses when I could, even if my eyes teared up, and skied with limited vision in goggles when it was too cold or snowy. My vision starts getting blurry about 6 feet away, so flat light meant skiing by feel. :fear:

I've got dry eyes to start with, so contacts won't work. Lasik sounds better but a little scary, and I don't have the $$ right now. I'm tempted to try the Smith I/O because maybe the spherical lens will make a difference, but it seems like quite a gamble to spend that kind of money without being able to return them (though maybe they'd take the $165 goggle itself back if they didn't work).

So even though Uvex prescription goggles with the Rx built into the lens look ugly as sin, I'm leaning towards getting them as a last resort. No interchangeable lenses, but they're relatively cheap and hopefully they'd have something amber to help with flat light. It would be so nice to be able to see the view clearly while skiing...

Sorry about the rant; I guess I have PTGS (post-traumatic goggle syndrome).
Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience. I think I have the same situation as you do - I must just sweat more than some folks from my face - this finally makes sense because my son can wear OTG goggles as can my husband, but when I put them on in the same conditions, they fog and are terrible. This might sound completely challenged, but I can't believe how more confident I am when I can see crystal clear - and this is the magic with my perscription sun glasses - forget night skiing. . . I can also see myself taking off my goggles and loosing the $150 insert in the snow. I'm going to track down the UVex Rx goggles in Vancouver - we can start a trend - we will look so hot with our very "special" goggles!!!!!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, if Uvex just made the 'frames' around the prescription black instead of brown in the black-goggle version they'd look less conspicuous, but check out the white goggles--the Rx frame would hardly show up unless you were up close. They look like they have pretty good peripheral vision, too.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have POC Iris Bug goggles and on super-bright days I wear Oakley sunglasses underneath them for extra UV-protection . They fit over glasses well and glasses don't fog.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga