• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting ski fit fast in the pool - suggestions?

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two weeks before I return to ski country and I need to get ski fit fast. I am without transport and staying with my parents in a remote village but I do have unlimited access to a pool.

I suppose swimming lengths would help fitness, but specifically for skiing what stroke is the best? How much do I need to do each day?

Are there any other exercises I can do in the pool that will help?

Potentially I can ride a bike, but it's cold and wet, plus it's dark by 4.30pm and the lanes are narrow, so I'm very much a wuss about going out at this time of year.

Any other things I can do with little or no equipment?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hours of wall sits and wall slides. Squats. Planks. Lunges.

(in addition to pool stuff ... I'm not the one to talk about the pool, just things you can do in front of tv)

(the other cool thing about wall sits, besides tv, is that they are compatible with drinking beer)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hours of wall sits and wall slides. Squats. Planks. Lunges.

(in addition to pool stuff ... I'm not the one to talk about the pool, just things you can do in front of tv)

(the other cool thing about wall sits, besides tv, is that they are compatible with drinking beer)
Progress those squats and lunges to squat jumps and lunge jumps and scissor jumps. Add side to side jumps and skates. Calf raises. Lots of core like planks and various style crunches. In the pool the best would be something like aqua jogging.

I'm a big believer in stretching and flexibility. And after 51 years of only running when I was trying to catch a bus or a train, I'm starting to do a little running at the gym (once I get a higher impact sport bra and running shoes that will help), nothing like good cardio to get you ready! I must say that I am amazed at my fitness progression after only 7 days of skiing. Nothing like being on snow to get fit fast. And don't forget to allow yourself time to acclimate to the altitude!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Martial arts classes and jogging did it for me in about a month ... at least, that's all I can figure that I did differently. I was in way better shape this season than last season. (There may have been other differences, and new boots were probably as much responsible as anything else ... this was not a well-controlled scientific experiment =) )

Moongidget

Angel Diva
I took up swimming and swimming lessons this fall, for no other reason than I didn't know how. First ski trip out I noticed how much stronger my legs were than the other people I was with and also how un-fatigued I was. :thumbsup: No rubber legs here!

Any stroke you can do in the pool will help. Even if you only do laps just kicking using the kickboard or without, you will notice a big difference in your legs. :clap:

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reminders on lunges. I might start with lunges in the pool where I'd get some resistance but less risk of strain (from wobbling over, my balance needs to be refined too!).

I should also do some arm curls with soup cans.

Bing

Angel Diva
Surrenders. Seriously the best exercise I have EVER done to get ready for ski season.

Start standing on both feet. Go down on one knee, then the second. Now up on one knee and wait for it (this is where it is hard) stand again.

Totally hard workout for quads & glutes.

Enjoy. Or not. Once you are not in pain with them this way, hold weights above your head as you do them !

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I started season I tried 'spinning' while on my back and with ski boots on, slowly lifting and lowering my legs. This year was the first time I had no muscle pain after my first weekend skiing even that I pretty much broke every resolution I made after last season - i.e. going for a run at least twice a week May-October (though managed 7 times in total), cycling to work (about the same number of times managed) and similar things that I simply never have enough time to do or they turn up to be much more hassle then I am prepared to put up with on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga