• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Jenny

Angel Diva
Look! An overachiever!

image.jpg

And clearly, they are facing all directions - finally at least one that's looking toward me and the possibility of another couple that might. I don't think they're getting anywhere near as tall as the tag said, but I don't care, there are flowers!

This next one is the Mexican sunflower; first the plant and then a close up of the flower so you can see how vibrant the color is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Everyone's gardens look so vibrant and nice. The flowers are gorgeous.

Here is our little garden.

Eggplant showing a nice little bud. A couple micro cherry tomatoes so far but lots of overall growth. Sure have more evidence of things that we will eventually get to eat by mid August. Last year i didn't get my eggplant until October haha

20160712_082209_resized.jpg 20160712_082219_resized.jpg

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've had landscapers in our yard since the middle of last week. I think they'll finish up middle of next week. They are working their butts off. The red rock blocks instead of metal edging look amazing. There is no way we're going to recoup the costs, but our yard is going to be really nice after it's all done, I think. Of course right now it looks like mutant gophers have been attacking (as they reroute the sprinkler system).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH didn't take "before" pictures, but the landscapers are close to finishing, and it's looking good.

They're replacing all the river rock and metal edging with mulch and a brick border:
20160715_172414.jpg

Replacing three scraggly pines that were slowly dying because they were planted too close together. Now there are three arborvitae that will be in their own mulch bed in the back corner, visually separating that area from the grass part of the lawn. Obviously much mulch still to be moved. This is the back right corner of our yard and will also be lined with rock (see the little border starting on the left):

20160715_172434.jpg

Garden boxes!! I didn't realize how tall they'd be. Very easy to work with and no way the dogs will be peeing on the plants unless they get some very uppity (hah!) ideas. The one in the background will be flush with the ground when it's finished. They have their own drip system, and the guys are also running the drip system into the blueberry and strawberry containers to the left and right of the deck stairs. (Meaning the berries will be watered on the same schedule as the boxes, not on the rose schedule.)

20160715_172427.jpg

Our front and back yard still look like mutant gophers have been at them, but I'm still thrilled. Are there veggies that get planted mid-summer in Colorado?

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
Garden boxes!! I didn't realize how tall they'd be. Very easy to work with and no way the dogs will be peeing on the plants unless they get some very uppity (hah!) ideas.

Hah - I have garden boxes and while I've gotten the dogs trained not to dig in them.... I found some fresh dog poop in one recently. :doh:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah - I have garden boxes and while I've gotten the dogs trained not to dig in them.... I found some fresh dog poop in one recently. :doh:

How tall are they? Also you have Mexican jumping dogs. I'm not sure my guys will be that interested. If they are, I plan to put up a fence. I can block off that part of the yard without any negative impact.

altagirl

Staff member
How tall are they? Also you have Mexican jumping dogs. I'm not sure my guys will be that interested. If they are, I plan to put up a fence. I can block off that part of the yard without any negative impact.

They're tall enough that they had to jump up there, but I do have dogs with some serious ups.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm about to head to Home Depot to buy supplies to build some raised beds alongside the new garage... So I'm with you on the "What to plant in July...." question!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're tall enough that they had to jump up there, but I do have dogs with some serious ups.

We'll see how it goes. I can picture a 4' picket fence from the deck to the fence on the other side, if necessary. Or something.

altagirl

Staff member
Here is the new addition to our backyard (DH's new garage) I'm putting in a raised beds along the side, essentially where the shade is in the second photo.

20160716_132030-1600x900.jpg 20160716_132011-1600x900.jpg

Looks great

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Great Landscaping Project of 2016 is complete! Note that the grass looks pretty terrible because 1) dogs 2) sprinkler system had some busted heads for a while 3) the whole yard was torn up to redo the sprinkler system.

New trees in the back corner to replace pines that were killing off the grass - not a problem with the mulch and the sandstone rock border, which makes our back yard look surprisingly refined ... at least for now while the mulch is fresh ;-)

20160720_164155.jpg

Finished veggie boxes - although we do still need to finish the drip system by adding the pieces to drip exactly where we want. I'm not sure how particular I care to be about that part. All of that mulch replaces river rock (which, as you can see, is still present way in the back, where it leads up to a little-used gate and through to the street).

20160720_164205.jpg

They put mulch around this tree, which is a nice touch since we didn't actually ask for it (and they didn't plant the tree) - but it does look a lot better this way!

20160720_164207.jpg

More of the mulch/sandstone border thing replacing river rock and metal edging. Along the fence, we kept the narrow section of river rock, but still replaced the edging with the sandstone "bricks." It's more aesthetically pleasing to me, but initially I was most concerned about preventing the dogs from hurting their paws - I heard a couple of horror stories from friends.
20160720_164257.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga