• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Full Tilt Soul Sisters v. Dalbello Krypton Storm Id

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up with black and blue toes last season which I posted under "black and blue toes" months ago. I'll skip the background on my skiing ability as it's all in that post, but do want to mention again that with the suggestion of Divas here I found my way to my local bootfitter - Billy Kaplan (who is on the bootfitters list here on this forum). As one Diva said, the good news was that my ability probably exceeded the performance of my boots, the bad news is that I probably need new boots. That Diva was correct.

Although my boots were sized correctly, they were a high volume entry level boot. I wear a 9 to 9 1/2 street shoe and a 24 mondo in ski boots. Bill narrowed down a list of boots for me to try based on my foot type (average foot size, but I tend to like wide shoes and hate high heels. I have the start of small bunions - probably from years of wearing those damn high heels. Higher than average instep, but not by much. Narrowish heel/ankle and average calf size) What I like to ski was a consideration as well - bumps, trees and powder - not so much a speed or slalom skiier. My final two choices ended up being between the Full Tilt and Dalbello.

What I loved about both boots is the 3 piece system concept, Intuition liners, varying flex adjustments and easy to get on and off. Supposedly, the Intuition liners will not pack out that much - time will tell. The Full Tilt boots have a great cable system that will surely snug things up nicely. The Dalbello's have a combination of cables and buckles. They were VERY similar in fit, snug, but not painful and they "hugged" my foot. I wore both several days for 20-30 minutes at home trying to trouble shoot any potential issues. Other than the tight toe area in both boots (because they weren't heat fit yet) my only issues were with the Dalbello's which felt like a blood pressure cuff and I made my calf go numb. Also, I noticed after flexing the boot I started to notice shin pressure and a ever slight heel lift. No issues with the Full Tilts other than extremely snug heel in a good way. I kept waiting for something to bother me, but it never happened. I'm not sure how anyone could wear these boots off the shelf without some kind of bootfitting. The heat fitting is a must!

I wear orthotics normally, so Bill made me custom footbeds. After Bill heat fitted them (with toe caps) and tweaked alignment of the cuffs. The Dalbello's did not seem to make my foot go numb anymore, but still had that ever slight heel lift and most of all that shin pressure was noticed again. As they say the slightest issue at home will be a bigger issue on the mountain. The Full Tilt boots were just incredible and the Intuition liners on those particular boots come up higher which is most likely why I don't have any shin issues in the Full Tilts. For those who have larger calves, just getting them around your calves could be an issue for you in the Full Tilt boots. I would imagine that these are probably great for skinny legs as the intuition liners wrap around like a cuff and the power strap keeps things snug. I also love the idea of the interchangeable tongue that Full Tilt sells for about $50 so you can change the flex of the boot. The Dalbello's can be adjusted to alter the flex as well, but in theory it seem's more effective to me to replace the actually tongue that is being flexed. It takes about 30 seconds to do this.

So with the Full Tilts being my pick, the shell's were placed in a warm water bath and then I put them back on until the shell's were cool. The last tweak Bill needed to do was to shave down the footboards a bit as they have a slight factory arch which I don't need since I have my custom footbeds. Can't say enough about Bill Kaplan, the time and attention to detail was impressive and I'm a tough sell.

As I carpet skiied in them the other night what I noticed most was that even if I leaned way back in my boots, the fit was so snug and conforming. I put on my old boots which are like slippers and can't imagine how I skiied west coast black runs in the crud post powder day. I no longer have all that volume (boot slop - I now understand that term all too well) I can't move my foot forward in my new boots even if I tried. They seem to have amazing heel retention and my foot just stays put. I also had a big problem with lifting up my toes, problem solved with new boots - there is no room to lift up my toes! Now I just need to go ski on them!!. :dance: Thank you to all the Divas for your imput!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Great to read all this, as this will likely be DH's next boot, either FT or Dalbello. It's interesting how both companies acquired the rights to use (with their own modifications, though FT is pretty close) Raichle's old Flexon Comp molds. Still see quite a few of those in ramp (water) training! Was his favorite boot ever, and he finally had to give up when replacement cables became impossible to find. (Take cautionary care of your cables.) FT's ability to change out tongues and therefore stiffness is awesome. Many, many free-skier/freestylers use these locally. Will await your on-snow follow-up report. :smile: Thanks for the detailed info!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on your new boots! I love my Full Tilts too. Happy skiing!

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations on your boots. I also have the Full Tilts and love them. I have the Lady, but I would love to try the Soul Sister

skithesierras

Angel Diva
Thanks for your detailed report! I got new Dalbello Krypton Storm IDs last year, and while I do think they have a great fit, I've been noticing a little heel lift like you said. And as the season wore on I felt they were getting compressed too quickly.

While I'm not planning on getting new boots ;), at least I'll have an idea of other models to try that are similar.

Congrats on the new boots, and I'll be waiting to hear how they work for you on the slopes!

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my update regarding performance of full tilt soul sisters. Due to the lack of snow in PA I never did get to put tHese to the test until our recent vaca on SLC 1/28 - 2/4 I will write a separate trip rept on that. So back to my review, I was nervous I would have an issue or 2 with the new boots, but they were just perfect. I felt connected to my skis, my old problems like lifting up my toes and stemming my turns were gone. I felt more comfortable with speed. As I posted above the whole reason for new boots was that I got black and blue toes in my old boots. The Full Tilts keep my heel down, my foot is snug and I am not in the backseat (much). I skiied some bumps and after looking back with my gopro video. The difference is amazing. I'm not getting bucked by the bumps. I'm "skiing" them with stopping, continuously making nice turns and in control. I still turn around every 2 bumps and its not "speedy" but its a huge differnce from last year. I have to say for eastcoast PA, bootfitter Bill Kaplan picked the perfect boot for me and fit them oh so nicely! LOVE THEM!

P.S. Cat trax worth every penny because we relied on free bus system which was easy, but there's enough walking involved that it pays to protect your boots.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my update regarding performance of full tilt soul sisters. Due to the lack of snow in PA I never did get to put tHese to the test until our recent vaca on SLC 1/28 - 2/4 I will write a separate trip rept on that. So back to my review, I was nervous I would have an issue or 2 with the new boots, but they were just perfect. I felt connected to my skis, my old problems like lifting up my toes and stemming my turns were gone. I felt more comfortable with speed. As I posted above the whole reason for new boots was that I got black and blue toes in my old boots. The Full Tilts keep my heel down, my foot is snug and I am not in the backseat (much). I skiied some bumps and after looking back with my gopro video. The difference is amazing. I'm not getting bucked by the bumps. I'm "skiing" them with stopping, continuously making nice turns and in control. I still turn around every 2 bumps and its not "speedy" but its a huge differnce from last year. I have to say for eastcoast PA, bootfitter Bill Kaplan picked the perfect boot for me and fit them oh so nicely! LOVE THEM!

P.S. Cat trax worth every penny because we relied on free bus system which was easy, but there's enough walking involved that it pays to protect your boots.

Thanks for the review. I still love my boots but I may bed stiffer boots next year so I am eying the full tilt soul sister to replace the full tilt lady.

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review. I still love my boots but I may bed stiffer boots next year so I am eying the full tilt soul sister to replace the full tilt lady.

Did you look into getting a stiffer flexed tongue? This was one of things that I loved about these boots.

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correction to my review - I mean't to say I DON'T stop when I ski bumps anymore....

Sorry, I'm so busy most of my posting here is done on my blackberry while on a train to and from work.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was what I noticed about the Full Tilt Soul Sister, they just seemed so soft even with the Intuitution liner

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga