• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Frontside & moguls - what should be on my demo list?

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What changes made you hate them? Seems like I’m the opposite since I preferred these 2024s over the 2017s? I didn’t try them between 2018-2024 so I couldn’t compare. If you liked the older versions definitely try this years Kendo/Kenja.

I heard the good changes happened with the 23 and 24 models. The dark period was from '20 till '22. I bought a '21 and hated them. Didn't have the edge grip and bite from the '15 year when they were 87 underfoot. Even the 90 underfoot years of 2016 thru 19 were decent. I've been told by a long time Kendo lover that the '23 model and after was way better than those in between years.

What you said is in alignment with what my friend said.

I'm stoked to try the newer ones.

My shop has a '23 Kendo so hoping to get in it soon.

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
Oh gotcha. One thing I thought was interesting about these is the feel super heavy to lift. But they didn’t feel heavy underfoot. My husbands 2017 Kendos are exhausting (but fun) to ski. These 2024s did not in any way leave me exhausted.

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone tried the Blaze 84 vs. 94? I’ll be in Beaver Creek next week and want to try to demo but may only have one day for that. If possible I could try both back to back. But curious if anyone has compared these and could comment.

If I understand correctly the 84 is metal free, and the 94 has metal but only on the binding platform? Also, are there any differences between the W (women’s) Blaze vs regular, other than the graphics?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried the Blaze 84 vs. 94? I’ll be in Beaver Creek next week and want to try to demo but may only have one day for that. If possible I could try both back to back. But curious if anyone has compared these and could comment.

If I understand correctly the 84 is metal free, and the 94 has metal but only on the binding platform? Also, are there any differences between the W (women’s) Blaze vs regular, other than the graphics?
I have not tried either myself but can tell you there are no differences between w and regular. I know because my son tried the 94 and was told men and womens were the same aside from the topsheet.

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
It must be too late in the season because I’ve been to numerous ski shops - both at home mountain and here at Beaver Creek on vacation this week - and there’s nothing I want to ski available in a size close to what I need. Either that or they just don’t mount demos for tall women. Plenty of 154’s around but few 170s. And the men’s demos are all 177+. No Blaze, no Secret, no Mantra, no Sheeva, no Rustler, no Black Pearl, no Brahma. I found some Santa Ana 93 in 172cm though. I liked them OK but they didn’t “wow” me which was surprising since they’re so popular. They felt really damp to me. I didn’t trust them at speed (at first) because I got no feedback from them whatsoever. Once I started trusting them and let go a little, I liked them better. Still not sure they’re the ski for me, but by the end of the day I appreciated them. They were good in bumps and crud. Didn’t love them on groomers but likely because I haven’t skied anything wider than 88mm so it was new to me.

Looks like I’m not going to be able to try out a Sheeva/Rustler, Secret, or a Blaze this year. I’m bummed.

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It must be too late in the season because I’ve been to numerous ski shops - both at home mountain and here at Beaver Creek on vacation this week - and there’s nothing I want to ski available in a size close to what I need. Either that or they just don’t mount demos for tall women. Plenty of 154’s around but few 170s. And the men’s demos are all 177+. No Blaze, no Secret, no Mantra, no Sheeva, no Rustler, no Black Pearl, no Brahma. I found some Santa Ana 93 in 172cm though. I liked them OK but they didn’t “wow” me which was surprising since they’re so popular. They felt really damp to me. I didn’t trust them at speed (at first) because I got no feedback from them whatsoever. Once I started trusting them and let go a little, I liked them better. Still not sure they’re the ski for me, but by the end of the day I appreciated them. They were good in bumps and crud. Didn’t love them on groomers but likely because I haven’t skied anything wider than 88mm so it was new to me.

Looks like I’m not going to be able to try out a Sheeva/Rustler, Secret, or a Blaze this year. I’m bummed.
That stinks! Have you tried the shops around the mountain?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you have. :(

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
Seems like charter sports in Beaver Creek may have an Atomic Maven 86C in 169. Maybe not what you planned on, but an option!

View attachment 22746
I was at Charter Sports not once, but twice today . He did mention the Atomics. The guy said “I don’t really have anything like what you want. What I DO have is great skis for spring-breakers from Texas.” Lololol.

I’m 185 cm tall and my current too-short skis are 164’s. I think I really need something >/= 170, and trying out a couple low 170’s confimed that. Especially with any rocker involved. :(

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Charter Sports not once, but twice today . The guy said “I don’t have anything like what you want. What I DO have is great skis for spring-breakers from Texas.” Lololol.

I’m 185 cm tall and my current too-short skis are 164’s. I think I really need something >/= 170, and trying out a couple low 170’s confimed that. Especially with any rocker involved. :(
So frustrating! You said the men's skis were 177+? Maybe try out the shortest pair you can get your hands on?

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
So frustrating! You said the men's skis were 177+? Maybe try out the shortest pair you can get your hands on?
Yea I may drop into Christie and Charter both again tomorrow and see if I missed anything and consider trying something longer. I bought husband some Kendos and dropped them for binding mount at Christie in the late afternoon but the rental side was slammed so I wasn’t going to wait to talk to somebody

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel you, fellow tall woman. I’m shocked they don’t have men’s 168/172s left to demo at least. Guess all the spring breakers are shorter men :smile:

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel you, fellow tall woman. I’m shocked they don’t have men’s 168/172s left to demo at least. Guess all the spring breakers are shorter menput.

I'm not even tall 167cm but often have an issue demoing as they often times one have sub 160 skis for women. I can usually demo a men's skis in a shorter length but sometimes have an issue there too as they often just have taller lengths.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm not even tall 167cm but often have an issue demoing as they often times one have sub 160 skis for women. I can usually demo a men's skis in a shorter length but sometimes have an issue there too as they often just have taller lengths.
That’s interesting.. I can almost always find a ski in the mid 160s lengths to demo. Have always felt lucky about that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You are lucky. I've had hit or miss both with in store demos and manufacturer pop up tent demos.
Must be the locations and what the reps being to each place. The shop at Sunday River always seems to have my size. I don’t usually demo there, but I browse through on occasion when I am waiting on something or in that part of the store for some reason.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Must be the locations and what the reps being to each place. The shop at Sunday River always seems to have my size. I don’t usually demo there, but I browse through on occasion when I am waiting on something or in that part of the store for some reason.

Bromley mostly too. I got lucky there with my secrets but mostly the tallest they'll have in ladies is 158 which is sometimes ok. They usually have shorter sizes for the men's skis for me. I just hate paying to demo lol. Sometimes the manager will let me take out a ski and not charge me since I work at the mountain and we're friends but I don't like to take advantage of that.

Not a big deal at all tho.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Bromley mostly too. I got lucky there with my secrets but mostly the tallest they'll have in ladies is 158 which is sometimes ok. They usually have shorter sizes for the men's skis for me. I just hate paying to demo lol. Sometimes the manager will let me take out a ski and not charge me since I work at the mountain and we're friends but I don't like to take advantage of that.

Not a big deal at all tho.
I would want to know what gives with such short sizes though. Do they not think even any average sized women ski there?? I'm 5'4" which is around the average female height in the US and I ski a mid 160s ski. That means they don't even have skis for average height females never mind tall women. That's not cool.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would want to know what gives with such short sizes though. Do they not think even any average sized women ski there?? I'm 5'4" which is around the average female height in the US and I ski a mid 160s ski. That means they don't even have skis for average height females never mind tall women. That's not cool.

Right. I see it as a common general issue with ski shops. Most ski shops I've gone into I can see the obvious size difference with men's and ladies skis Shorter ones for the ladies and taller ones for the men. I mean I get that the shops need to have stock for the masses and they don't want to have big stock in sizes that won't sell as quickly but there's got to be a happy medium. It can be a bit frustrating. A bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. I see it as a common general issue with ski shops. Most ski shops I've gone into I can see the obvious size difference with men's and ladies skis Shorter ones for the ladies and taller ones for the men. I mean I get that the shops need to have stock for the masses and they don't want to have big stock in sizes that won't sell as quickly but there's got to be a happy medium. It can be a bit frustrating. A bit of a pet peeve of mine.
What you’ve experienced is the extreme! Like, I get not having my 177 Black Pearls, fine. But no 163?? Wild.

Proud of my shop for carrying and demo-ing up to 168ish for almost all of our women’s skis and down to 144 in some options.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga