• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Frequent skiers, how do you do it?

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great plan!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
And this "Now the temperature in the winter is only occasionally below freezing in NY" made me laugh out loud! All we've been hearing on the news is moaning and whining about how cold it is in New York, NYC, and the entire Eastern US and how much snow they're getting and how bloody much they're suffering this year!

Just for the record, NYC is a city of winter haters who whine about how cold it is when it is really not cold at all. :smile: I do think they've been skirting the edge of some polar vortex action this winter, but it's really not that cold a place in general.

abc

Banned
Just for the record, NYC is a city of winter haters who whine about how cold it is when it is really not cold at all. :smile:
Quite true.

Moving from Michigan to New York City, I was very much amused at all that whining about the cold. In contrast, Bostonians seems have a much better attitude regarding winter. They appear to take it in strides.

Though in reality, NYC is a bit stuck in the worst part in the winter. It's actually a little too warm for winter sport but too cold to continue on with summer sport.

I think Boston is a better situated city weather-wise. It's by the ocean (mind you, a much warmer ocean than the Pacific, skinana), pretty close to the mountains. It's also colder than NYC and has a much better chance of having snow nearby in the winter (read: xc skiing out the door). While still have a decent long warm season for all the non-snow related outdoor stuff.

(Yes, I've been also thinking about moving to Boston... especially now that I have slowly established a few professional connections up there)

Christy

Angel Diva
I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver was more expensive than NYC when you look at the cost of goods, services, groceries, gas, etc. And transit is pretty weak so the parts of the metro area that have less expensive housing generally require a longish drive to the city. Nice place for those that can afford it though!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for all this city stuff, I with you. There are many weekends I regret not being able to stay to see the symphony, or a really amazing dance troupe that would expand the kids' horizons. Amazing stuff happens in winter, and as much as I love skiing I do miss those opportunities. I would like to have the freedom to take a couple of weekends off, but that won't happen until nobody is on ski team, or at least until we can do a family split thing and have one parent in each place. Sounds like many of you have a nicely balanced life. Enjoy!

altagirl

Staff member
You all are making me appreciate living in Salt Lake. Work, skiing, going to the symphony/opera/ballet are all only about a 15-20 minute drive.

I guess we just have to deal with disgusting polluted air most of the winter.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think there's quite a few places where it doesn't have to be either/or. I went to a rock opera Friday night (about Jerry Springer! Fantastic) and a benefit on Sat. night, and neither precluded skiing on Sat or Sun. If you want to spend all weekend at your ski condo in the mountains they do run plays, concerts, etc on weekday evenings.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I think there's quite a few places where it doesn't have to be either/or. I went to a rock opera Friday night (about Jerry Springer! Fantastic) and a benefit on Sat. night, and neither precluded skiing on Sat or Sun. If you want to spend all weekend at your ski condo in the mountains they do run plays, concerts, etc on weekday evenings.
I've been hearing that rock opera advertised on KEXP. I can only imagine....

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

yeah, I was thinking this too -- check out the Vilar Center in Beaver Creek:
https://www.vilarpac.org/Online/ Everything from Man of La Mancha, Rigoletto, John Legend, ski films, etc etc.

Jilly

Staff member
We have a movie theatre at Tremblant. There are some live events once there is warmer weather. Big time summer stuff for sure. But that doesn't attract skiers.

Powderqueen

Certified Ski Diva
I ski every weekend and we have night skiing, so I try to get out once or twice a week after work. If it is a powder day, I will go to the mountain in the morning and be back to my office by the end of lunch time and will work later hours to catch up. I also take one or 2 weeks of ski vacations a year.

abc

Banned
Yeah but there's a difference between cultural events and culture. Tremblant has some cultural events. Montreal has culture.

I'm not trying to put down the stuff that runs in the mountains. I'm just saying, it's like comparing apples to cantaloupes.
That might be a tad harsh :smile:

I think of the cultural events in the mounatins vs the culture in a major metropoliton area in the same light as skiing in the northeast vs skiing out west (only in reverse). Sure, it's both skiing, and we can have isolated great powder days in the northeast too, but...

if you're a real powder crazy, you know the northeast "chowder" aren't the real stuff. And if you're really into the culture stuff, a few concerts from a touring company in the summer aren't going to cut it either.

altagirl

Staff member
I ski every weekend and we have night skiing, so I try to get out once or twice a week after work. If it is a powder day, I will go to the mountain in the morning and be back to my office by the end of lunch time and will work later hours to catch up. I also take one or 2 weeks of ski vacations a year.

Same here. Unless I have an actual business appointment/meeting - if I'm just doing normal day to day stuff at work, if I really want to go, I go for a few hours and catch up. My boss doesn't mind as long as my work gets done. There are occasions where I don't have the time, or I can't make it work on a powder day, but if I want to go, more often than not, I can make it work.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah but there's a difference between cultural events and culture. Tremblant has some cultural events. Montreal has culture.
Oh, please!

I'm not trying to put down the stuff that runs in the mountains. I'm just saying, it's like comparing apples to cantaloupes.
Well, you might not be trying, but it's pretty clear that your apples are little towns or cities and your big juicy cantaloupes are the big cities. By saying that the only culture that matters is endlessly diverse big-C art culture and dismissing the very idea of small town and even small city culture, you're saying that it's only "culture" if it's world renowned and infinitely diverse. I'm sorry, but that's a little more than 'harsh.'

This thread started out with someone who looked at her experience juggling family and skiing, and couldn't understand how others manage to ski more; she wishes she could ski more too but other obligations keep getting in the way. Then we got off on the misconception that there's some intrinsic virtue in skiing 40 or 60 or 100 days in a season, which quickly morphed into the superiority of those who'll sacrifice skiing for the arts.

Look, I don't want to live in New York, and you don't want to live in Salt Lake, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about the arts or that you don't care about outdoors sports. It means we have different tastes and priorities. If you think people who choose my life are settling for something inferior, well, it's your loss that you can't see that small C culture is just as valuable as big C culture, just as it's my loss if I judge you wanting for doing so.

Now I've probably offended someone, and so I'll apologize in advance if I too was harsh.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was me posting that, not abc. I think you may have been confusing us. I'm the one who started the thread, and not because I'm juggling family and skiing (I don't have kids) but because I was curious about the experiences of many people here.

Anyway, I like the mountains. I like skiing. I could probably see myself living there one day, at least for a time. I don't think it's insulting to anyone to point out that city life and mountain life are two different things.

This does seem to have gone off the rails a bit. Let's dial it back and just say that everyone's experiences are interesting and that's that, k?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna