• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Frequent skiers, how do you do it?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, Bounce! I see so much of me in your post! I too am "shot", but I admire you for making it to 4 or 4:30! I'm close to 70 and have had my own "health issues", but it is really worriying me that I am pretty much used up by lunch time, though it's true that it's pretty much non stop skiing here as there are seldom any lift lines at Big Sky: whatever time you spend actually sitting in the lift is about all the rest you're going to get around here. Nonetheless, I find it alarming to watch others head off - and to difficult areas too - when I have to head home lest my legs carry me straight into a tree!
:snow:

Well, I'm in my mid-thirties. I hope - plan! - to be skiing regularly into my 70s, if at all possible. But I wouldn't be surprised if I started skiing shorter days, or being pickier about my days, by the time I'm in my 60s =) I ski with a number of men who are grandfathers, and they still rip it up, but I don't see too many older women, so it's good to know you're out there! Inspiration!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
But I wouldn't be surprised if I started skiing shorter days, or being pickier about my days, by the time I'm in my 60s =) I ski with a number of men who are grandfathers, and they still rip it up, but I don't see too many older women, so it's good to know you're out there!
:wave:
ry%3D400

abc

Banned
You enjoy it. That's all that matters. It's not a sacrifice for me to be away from the city - it's a blessing. Different priorities and preferences.
I think that's the difference. I enjoy skiing. Enjoy it enough to go whenever I could find the time.

But it doesn't quite qualify as a "passion" for me. I don't drop everything to go to the mountains.

Definitely different priorities and preferences.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me thinks you aren't looking in the right place.

I guess what I had in mind was people skiing with me. So, true! Breck has this super sweet lesson pass thing. There are a lot of men in their 60s and sometimes 70s skiing with the level 8s and 9s, but very few women at all, let alone at that age. That's what I was picturing in particular. Those are the people I mostly ski with.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Boulder isn't exactly the cultural epicenter that NY was... so depending on your values some people would think you gave up quite a lot...

Aaaahahaha... it is true that I moved 2000 miles to get the particular balance that I now have. Sooooooo I guess ymmv. :smile:

I just wanted to throw out there that renting a place in the mountains is something you can do pretty affordably in the right circumstances, and it can make things a lot easier.

Last edited:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I guess what I had in mind was people skiing with me. So, true! Breck has this super sweet lesson pass thing. There are a lot of men in their 60s and sometimes 70s skiing with the level 8s and 9s, but very few women at all, let alone at that age. That's what I was picturing in particular. Those are the people I mostly ski with.
You need to hit your mountain on the day that Prime Timers are skiing. Our local group skis on Weds, and they have a membership of over 600 and that's just at our mountain. A good percentage is woman.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need to hit your mountain on the day that Prime Timers are skiing. Our local group skis on Weds, and they have a membership of over 600 and that's just at our mountain. A good percentage is woman.

And in 20 or 30 years when I'm tired, I'd love to do that!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And in 20 or 30 years when I'm tired, I'd love to do that!

Hah, I assume you mean retired, not tired.

But yeah, I think we get a skewed version of who skis depending on when we happen to ski. Weekends there are lots of families with kids. Night skiing has lots of teenagers and young adults. I expect there are many more older skiers out during the weekdays, particularly if they're retired and living the ski bum life, but I never see them because I'm at work at that time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah, I assume you mean retired, not tired.

But yeah, I think we get a skewed version of who skis depending on when we happen to ski. Weekends there are lots of families with kids. Night skiing has lots of teenagers and young adults. I expect there are many more older skiers out during the weekdays, particularly if they're retired and living the ski bum life, but I never see them because I'm at work at that time.
Stupid phone! Yes, I meant retired.

abc

Banned
Actually, I think that's the same argument that most of the most frequent skiers here would make. I know some people here sacrificed high-paying careers in the city in order to move closer to a ski area and spend more time doing what they love.
If the reason for staying in the city is high paying job. One may conclude skiing is more important than yet another new flat screen TV...

But if one's reason for staying in the city is the "city thing" (bar? musuem? concert?). It's a lot harder to leave behind and do without!

My reason for liking the city are actually both for the indoor offering and also PEOPLE to do things with too. I'm never short of skiing partners, even more so on cycling partners (when you belong to a 2000 member bike club!). So, crowd for some, is actually company for me!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Location is certainly a factor. I don't know what my attitude would be if it I lived further away from the mountains, luckily it's not possible in this country. I used to think I was a city girl until I moved here. But I do "culture" only not in winter unless it's a weekday. I also used to think of myself as a sea person, my grandparents used to have a house by the sea, but now I am in a land-locked country. I wouldn't go on holidays with a friend to scuba. I lived in Caribbean for 5 years, that was a time and place for scuba and I did this a lot, so taking a flight somewhere to scuba makes zero sense to me now. But I definitely enjoying what Switzerland delivers.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Talking about us older folk skiing, it's true you have to be at the mountain when they (we) are there. That means hardly ever on a weekend. It means early in the morning. And at Tremblant I would generally say it means frequenting the north side base. The chalet is full of happy seniors - maybe more men but lots of women - just about every weekday.

And SkiNana, you're not the oldest one around here!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Talking about us older folk skiing, it's true you have to be at the mountain when they (we) are there. That means hardly ever on a weekend. It means early in the morning. And at Tremblant I would generally say it means frequenting the north side base. The chalet is full of happy seniors - maybe more men but lots of women - just about every weekday.

And SkiNana, you're not the oldest one around here!

It is the same at my home mountain. I infinitely prefer to ski on weekdays, in the mornings, because that's when conditions are best (unless there's a storm in progress). Lodge is absolutely full of the senior set at that time. Mr. S. turns 60 next month, and he says the crowd makes him feel like a youngster. I'd say the average age is well into the 70s. Get a handful of youthful ski bums and people like myself, with flexible schedules, but at 46 I'm pulling the average down a good bit.

And just in case anyone's reading this and thinking of a hill crawling with geriatrics, it ain't so. It's a hill full of highly experienced rippers, is what it is.

abc

Banned
Location is certainly a factor. I don't know what my attitude would be if it I lived further away from the mountains, luckily it's not possible in this country. I used to think I was a city girl until I moved here. But I do "culture" only not in winter unless it's a weekday. I also used to think of myself as a sea person, my grandparents used to have a house by the sea, but now I am in a land-locked country. I wouldn't go on holidays with a friend to scuba. I lived in Caribbean for 5 years, that was a time and place for scuba and I did this a lot, so taking a flight somewhere to scuba makes zero sense to me now. But I definitely enjoying what Switzerland delivers.
I'm in the reverse situation.

I learn to ski when I live in a much colder place. Now the temperature in the winter is only occasionally below freezing in NY, skiing takes a lot more effort. The 2 years I lived in Florida was probably the worst. But I did ski aa few time nonetheless. It became a "vacation" to GO somewhere entirely different.

I definitely took skiing for granted when I had it at my door step. And now I know it was probably only because I never that much into it.

I grew up by the sea but wasn't all that crazy about it either.

I never thought about whether I am a city girl or not, until I moved away from the city. That's when I realized I really missed it and will give up all else to live in the city again!!!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Big Sky is filled with older folks who ski with gusto and skill as well. Except for the backbone of the (employed) community, Resort employees, visitors, and the cuties from the Ophir School, of course, I'd even consider this a community of older people. We ski with a mixed group, often, and the Master the Mountain course for locals probably has an average age over 50.

I know I'm not the Forum elder, SkiBam. I've met a number of Divas: you included.

And this "Now the temperature in the winter is only occasionally below freezing in NY" made me laugh out loud! All we've been hearing on the news is moaning and whining about how cold it is in New York, NYC, and the entire Eastern US and how much snow they're getting and how bloody much they're suffering this year! (Generally in close juxtaposition to a story on global warming. LOL :smile:

I grew up by the ocean (in the tropics. I'm just waiting to find a place with tropical ocean and cold mountains: together! Mauna Kea doesn't count: I've tried that!

Last edited:

abc

Banned
I grew up by the ocean (in the tropics. I'm just waiting to find a place with tropical ocean and cold mountains: together! Mauna Kea doesn't count: I've tried that!
I got the place for you: Vancouver!!!

OK, the ocean isn't exactly tropical. But it's right there. And it's not THAT cold in the summer.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tropical ocean!! You missed that part. Though I loved Vancouver: what a gorgeous city - if you're going to live in a city of course. (tongue in cheek: I'm needling you, abc)

(Did you just edit in the last sentence? Or did I miss it reading on my iPad?)

abc

Banned
Tropical ocean!! You missed that part. Though I loved Vancouver: what a gorgeous city - if you're going to live in a city of course. (tongue in cheek: I'm needling you, abc)
You responded while I was still editing my original post...

There's no need to keep your tongue in the cheek. I've been eyeing Vancuver as a place to retire to. That is, if I haven't found a way to move there BEFORE I retire!

(it's a bit more complicated it being a "different country"...)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna