• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Frequent skiers, how do you do it?

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's an excellent point, and it brings up two other interesting discussion questions:

1. How much do you think someone needs to ski per season to really improve?
2. Do you enjoy an activity more when you're constantly improving? Or does it not matter to you all that much?
For me and skiing, it depended of life status. When I only take a ski week out west every 2-3 years, just having fun on groomers as a solid intermediate was enough. Now that I'm retired and have the time, money, and ski buddies for ski safaris, I'm much more interested in improving in order to enjoy more parts of the various places I choose as ski travel destinations. That also means doing more lessons at Massanutten (small home mountain) in order to get ready for skiing at larger mountains.

I was improving with 15 days in the southeast, plus 2 separate week trips out west. However, the real improvement came after I started taking private or semi-private lessons from PSIA Level 3 instructors. That's only been in the last three seasons.

For other sports, once I got to an intermediate stage that was usually enough. Except for skiing and table tennis, every other activity was more social recreation than any sort of personal passion.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting question about improvement. For me, I'm interested in improving my skiing for the sake of improvement, because I like a challenge - that's a piece of it. But a piece of it also has to do with stimulation. Sometimes I like a nice mellow ski. Sometimes I want a ski that will get my adrenaline cranking a bit, whether it's because it's a really challenging run, or because it's a less challenging run that I'm skiing with an increased amount of precision. That's a moving target, because the more I do challenging runs, the more challenging they have to be in order for me to find them challenging, and the better my skills need to be to handle them safely. Same with the precision. Sometimes I want to stop at the top of the run and pick my exact line and a particular speed before I drop in, and ski that exact line and maintain that consistent speed. This is pretty easy if it's a soft run, but if it's variable, or has a lot of ice on it, that demands better skills. The better my skills are, the more precise I expect that run to be. Also a moving target there. And then there's exposure to other skiers - I see a skier on the slope who is moving in a way I want to, or doing some trick and I'd like to, that's a call for improvement for me.

I don't think improvement is necessarily constant. I had some instruction recently, five or ten minutes of it, that caused me to hit a new level. I'd been at the same level of function for quite a while, not improving really, not trying to make a lot of changes or anything, but when this instruction came by it really spoke to me, and I found myself in a new state. I don't think it's constant, and I know it's not linear. So for people who don't have to be constantly improving, another question would have to be whether maintaining openness to improvement is important to their enjoyment of the activity.

Mr. S. is an advancing novice and has been for two years. He has a goal, which is to get down low-intermediate runs safely and have fun. Beyond that, he doesn't worry about it. He trundles down the novice runs, and he loves it. 90% of the runs I take scare the pants off him. He wants nothing to do with them. BUT...he's also a nordic skier, and an advanced one at that, and even though he's operating at a reasonably high level - he was skiing Trapp and Jackson last week - he's on the lookout for a downhill lesson because he thinks he can do a better job with them than he's already doing. So he enjoys his little plateau with alpine skiing, but wants to be constantly improving with nordic.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At this point in the season, I am totally dragging butt. In order to ski as much as I want to, I never get to sleep in, and I am a person who needs sleep. Right now I just am draagggggggggging. This coming weekend would probably be a good one for R&R - but - I have new skis and plans to meet up with an epic bear or two at MJ!

Spunk72

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread. Very interesting. Skiing would be my priority but it is not DHs (his is road cycling) which makes it hard with two young kids. I LOVE it so much, but my opportunities are really limited due to the short ski season here,and the fact that the nearest downhill mountain to ski at is 3hrs away. We do take o/s ski vacations but only can afford that every couple of years. So it is a bit frustrating because that limits my ability to improve. I would get 7 - 10 days per year if I am lucky. My dream is to live at the mountains one year so I can really make the most of it.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
At this point in the season, I am totally dragging butt. In order to ski as much as I want to, I never get to sleep in, and I am a person who needs sleep.]

I can relate to this, especially since we changed to daylight savings time I'm dragging. The only thing that will get my mousetail out of bed in the morning is skiing. Anything else will wait until later in the day now that I'm retired.

In the offseason, mostly hurricane season, I'm a Red Cross Disaster worker. Hurricanes DO NOT occur during ski season!

I just wanted to note something here: when I first responded to this thread on January 21, I said I was on day #33. Today, March 11, I marked day #65. I'm hoping to make 80. :smile:

I had 31 days before I arrived in Vermont and I've skied 14 days since I've been here. If the blizzard allows, I'll get 3 more days here and a couple back in NC to total 50 or so for the season.....not bad for a Carolina resident....

Last edited by a moderator:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am on 45 days at the moment. Not saying that they were all bell to bell days (actually only did about 6-7 days like that all season), some days I would just skin to the restaurant near top station, have 2-hour lunch and ski down. Now we are into spring season so there will be more days like this. On Saturday we had a picnic on a mountain, filled our backpacks with rosé, bread, cheese, beers, went top and descended to the side of Mt Gelé, on a nice wide ridge overlooking a bowl and spend there pretty much the rest of the day. Sunday was a skin and lunch on a terrace day and Monday I demoed Kaestle, so did a little bit more skiing but still spend on terraces about 2 hours. I got a nice tan after last weekend:smile: And the coming weekend is expected to be similar. Maybe we'll bring a portable BBQ with us this time:smile: I would like it to get cold and start snowing again, but I don't mind it the other way either. Mountains in spring are beautiful, lot of things to do and skis are just a means of transport to get you where you want. And FWT Final is less than 2 weeks away, with lifts running from 7 am front row seats are guaranteed.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm behind in my "count" this season, due largely to a nasty virus that felled me for about two weeks. Didn't even feel like skiing, despite lovely conditions and weather. (My friends debated if they should tell me what I was missing or not.) Seem to be back on track now, and my pass black-out (which didn't totally stop me from skiing) ends Saturday. Hope to ski til the end of the season.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about how you AFFORD to ski that much. I assume its all about the season pass???

abc

Banned
You were not the only one who mistaken it that way. The thread in fact detoured into that for quite a few pages before coming back to what the OP s point

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about how you AFFORD to ski that much. I assume its all about the season pass???
Same here! I'm thinking, let's see, no manicures, no spa trips with the girlfriends, etc... ah yes, it is the season pass. for us it was break even at six days. (LITTLE hill). Then the next mountain over (15min.) bought the resort this year and offered a "Highlands" pass that now includes both resorts, plus one free day (sun-thurs) at blue knob, wisp & snowshoe, plus the mountains of distinction discounts. So skiing just became less expensive if you use them all. We used to rent a house/condo every year on the mountain, then the bottom fell out of the market two years ago and we bought a fixer upper two in from the slope. It's a little mountain but it's only 55min. front door to front door. And now that I see so many of you ski alone, I might just brave that one out and ski more during the week next year.

soliloquy72

Certified Ski Diva
I'm really tired, too, and thinking of reigning in our skiing but I know the end of the season is coming quickly. I am forcing myself to squeeze out every possible opportunity. Once I'm there, I'm good. But the thought of getting all the gear and food organized and coming home late to mountains of laundry and bathrooms that need cleaning ... that gets old.

abc

Banned
I'm really tired, too, and thinking of reigning in our skiing but I know the end of the season is coming quickly. I am forcing myself to squeeze out every possible opportunity. Once I'm there, I'm good. But the thought of getting all the gear and food organized and coming home late to mountains of laundry and bathrooms that need cleaning ... that gets old.
I ski only enough to enjoy it. I pick and choose the good condition days to go, not so much because I'm really that picky, but because I really don't have time to ski any more than what I do now. If I ski more days, my life will simply fall apart, beyond skiing. So, why bother ski more on less than good days and have other aspect of my life gone to the dogs? I don't.

By skiing fewer number of days, I get extra excited when I do go out! :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
segacs said:
I just counted day #8 this past weekend. If I'm really lucky I'll make it to 10 this season.

Lol, me, too!

The years that I was a frequent skier were functions of proximity to slopes, consistent conditions, and owning a pass.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But the thought of getting all the gear and food organized and coming home late to mountains of laundry and bathrooms that need cleaning ... that gets old.

Wrong thought - the bathroom can be cleansed in spring ;)
Well, not that I like a messy house but during winter I really just do the absolutely necessary stuff.
And whether I have got jeans and t-shirts in the laundry or ski underwear and ski socks, that does not really matter.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We let a lot slide. Luckily we have a wonderful woman who cleans our house every two weeks, so the worst is kept at bay.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Wrong thought - the bathroom can be cleansed in spring ;)
Well, not that I like a messy house but during winter I really just do the absolutely necessary stuff.
And whether I have got jeans and t-shirts in the laundry or ski underwear and ski socks, that does not really matter.
couldn't agree more! You aren't going to by lying on your death bed wishing you would have stayed home and ensured a sparkling clean bathroom more often. I keep a package of Lysol wipes in each bathroom and a bottle of Lysol spray. It's disinfected, and that's good enough. DH got me a Roomba for Christmas and I haven't vacuumed with my upright but once since. that is TOTALLY worth the investment. I might get the one that scrubs the floors next Christmas...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna