• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Frequent skiers, how do you do it?

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had service providers "take the money and run" (and small claims in this state is A Joke). Want something done right? Do it yourself. Don't know how? Figure it out. It's a challenge I took on, somewhat unexpectedly - but...the beat goes on. $1700 to paint one section of the house, really? Gimme the tools and paint, and 2 days.

Kudos to you for having that approach, MSL! I

I freely admit that I'm all thumbs when it comes to anything fix-it related. I have zero skill and talent, and attempts to learn how to do even basic repairs have ended in epic failure.

I also work 50-60 hours a week and have very little free time even in my free time, which is mostly devoted to all sorts of activities. Finding the time to so much as replace a lightbulb is usually an ordeal. But hey, if you manage to make the time for house projects, good on you!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yeah, the 60 hour work week - DH also, every week. As a result, much of this falls in my lap. More than I bargained for! I still have massive issues with starting the generator (when power goes out, which is more in 10 years than my many years on earth prior, total), has a muscle-found pull cord, so I have to call him to come home to do that. But have mastered chain saws, brush trimmers, tractors, etc etc. - and can paint anything as long as it does NOT involve an extension ladder.
"It's a living." I still leave plumbing and major re-wiring electrical to the engineer.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still have massive issues with starting the generator (when power goes out, which is more in 10 years than my many years on earth prior, total), has a muscle-found pull cord, so I have to call him to come home to do that. But have mastered chain saws, brush trimmers, tractors, etc etc. - and can paint anything as long as it does NOT involve an extension ladder.

That is, indeed, awesome! I consider it a major accomplishment if I manage to find the time to do both groceries *and* laundry in a single week. More often than I care to admit, one or both of these fall by the wayside and I just eat out or order take-out, and wear whatever's at the back of my closet until I no longer have an excuse.

Chain saws? Tractors? No way jose! Even brushing the snow off my car in the winter is often more hassle than it's worth, and I just take public transit until I absolutely am forced to do it (like, for a ski day).

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, we have done a lot of our home remodeling and yard projects ourselves, but anymore, there is a time/cost analysis and often we pay someone else to do it. I usually work 50+ hour work weeks plus volunteer work, and DH is usually somewhere in the 60-80 hour work week (which is absurd) - and my knee joints don't function well without doing yoga regularly, so that's pretty much a mandatory part of my life too. So when it comes down to whether to pay a housekeeper or repairman for something we COULD do ourselves but would either have to use vacation days from work to do it or give up skiing/biking... I'll pay, if it makes sense.

So there are plenty of things that we are perfectly capable of doing (I mean, we've added a bathroom, but we paid someone to do the plumbing and just did the lighting and tile and whatnot ourselves. Tiled the entire basement ourselves, but paid someone to do drywall. Redid the kitchen and I did all the floor tile and backsplash myself but paid someone to do the countertops. We removed all the carpet from the house and prepped the surfaces for hardwood, but paid someone to sand and finish it...) We didn't have enough vacation days to do it all ourselves, and at some point, time off from work (whether job or housework) is more valuable than having more money. If we didn't pay people to do things for us sometimes, we would never have any time to ski or bike at all.

soliloquy72

Certified Ski Diva
We recently bought our dream house on twenty acres. We have a large flock of chickens, some ducks, a start on our orchard, a large garden, we plan to install solar panels, maybe get a few Dexter cows. We heat our house with wood from our property. It's a lifestyle we enjoy.

I love knowing that anything I don't love in my house I can rip out and put in what I like. This spring, which is cold & damp where I live, I am re-doing my kitchen and painting my kids' rooms.

abc

Banned
at some point, time off from work (whether job or housework) is more valuable than having more money. If we didn't pay people to do things for us sometimes, we would never have any time to ski or bike at all.
That's it!

It's a matter of how much you enjoy doing something vs how much is the money saved worth. It really doesn't matter to have the money but not the time to use it for thing you enjoy doing.

That is, if you really do enjoy doing home repair more than skiing, then the decision would be to stay home and wire up that new bathroom. (in my case, working on my bike rather than riding it!). Otherwise, it's wiser to pay someone to do the house work so you can go skiing! Well, until you run out of gas money by paying the repairman, that is. Then home repair become a neccessary chore you hate but have to do nonetheless, not because you like it.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
We recently bought our dream house on twenty acres. We have a large flock of chickens, some ducks, a start on our orchard, a large garden, we plan to install solar panels, maybe get a few Dexter cows. We heat our house with wood from our property. It's a lifestyle we enjoy.

I love knowing that anything I don't love in my house I can rip out and put in what I like. This spring, which is cold & damp where I live, I am re-doing my kitchen and painting my kids' rooms.

I love this idea IN THEORY.... But know that in reality, I am too lazy/too ADD/too willing to ski or climb instead to pull it off. Maybe if I wasn't trying to build my own business on top of all that too....

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with you, climbingbetty. I've never had house hunger, probably because I was such a nomad during the years when most people nest. It is a lifestyle, just one not all of us want, and there's nothing wrong with that!

I have a fantasy of buying a condo--yes, a condo--when I retire so I can fool around with the inside and let someone else take care of the roof and lawn and sidewalks. I'd like a little patch for a vegetable and flower garden, but aside from that, just give me a porch and a bit of lawn I can lie on from time to time and I'll be happy. My folks have condos--one north and one south--and it's made their life so much easier!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoy having a house, but if it had been up to me, we'd be in a condo. I pay zero attention to exterior maintenance - it just doesn't register. Fortunately, DH does notice things (like a month ago - "hey, that piece of siding has come loose!" "Huh? We have siding?" Okay, not quite that bad, but I really hadn't noticed it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Way, way fewer options in a very rural area in terms of what type of "abode"....we kind of just play the hand we got dealt? Reputable contractors (i.e., licensed/insured) far and few between, or "fly by night." Learned all this The Hard Way (of course), coming from a somewhat more urban environment. Rural living is a whole different ball game. Nope, it's in a whole different ball park - far, far away....embodying the meaning of "Want something done right? Do it yourself."

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We recently bought our dream house on twenty acres. We have a large flock of chickens

Many congrats! What a lovely post to read. I'm living virtually through you. We had chickens before, but in our new home we can't do it. I miss them. The fresh eggs were great, and the free range chickens were quite entertaining as they clucked their way through the entire yard. Not a tick or bug in sight after they went through. Enjoy them, and everything else!

Cruiser123

Certified Ski Diva
We have renovated a few houses, as in hired someone for the big jobs. The only thing is I will never live in a place again while it's bring renovated, especially now with kids.

As for frequent skiing I would need a condo or rental right on the mountain to ski as much as I wanted. The biggest thing holding me back is the two little ones, especially the baby who still nurses. I do have access to ski areas within day trip distance, but then I need to find childcare each time. It's hard it will be fun when they can cone with me, I'm sure I'll be trying to keep up with them at some point at least I hope.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna