• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Forest Fires

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know how things have been in the western US states, but British Columbia is having a real problem this year. The interior Kelowna area has had evacuations and high alerts. Things are settling down there, but Blackcomb Mountain has been hit - lightening strikes. If you know the mountain the fire in on Crystal Ridge, just above the day lodge there. Water bombers have been called in.

My cousin's daughter works at Whistler and post on her FB page that the mountain was on fire. So I went looking at CTV and sure enough - https://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090730/blackcomb_fire_090730/20090730?hub=TopStories

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fortunately, we've had a wet summer and lots of rain in the mtns. There was snow today as Robyn reported on another post.

However, everytime I go to my condo, at the top of Buffalo Mtn, and view the beetle killed trees surrounding our building I'm thankful that nothing serious has happened. We hold our breath until the snow starts to fall.

Our condo is strictly a ski condo and nothing of value or sentiment is there and the furnishings are insured but I would hate to lose it.

We just went through a damaging hailstorm and had a lot of damage to the exterior of our house. I can't imagine losing everything.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy Smokes! Blackholm's on fire!!!

I understand that they haven't had much precip this season, which can't bode well for this situation.
Ironically, a lightening storm seems to have sparked the fire.

Read full story here

The fire that erupted on Blackcomb Mountain near Whistler has grown to 75 hectares in size.

Tourists and staff at Blackcomb Mountain’s Crystal Lodge were evacuated at 3 p.m. today. Hikers on the trails in the surrounding areas were also evacuated from the area.

The fire was sparked by lightning yesterday night at Crystal Ridge near Crystal Hut and the Crystal chairlift, said Ellie Dupont, coastal fire information officer.

“As it got warmer and warmer today, it came to life. A little bit of wind and off it went,” she said.......

1846566.bin

I lost my home and everything I owned to raging fire in April 2003. PITA to say the least, but thankfully no one was hurt. 2003 is not a year I would like to remember.

After it happened, I though about how much harder it would be if my whole community had burned down. It's so easy to take for granted the daily comforts of life.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mod note:
I started the Holy Smokes thread(in general skiing) without realizing that there was a discussion on this topic. Threads were merged and can be moved back to where the original thread was if preferred.

Christy

Angel Diva
Given how dry our spring/summer have been, I'm really surprised we haven't had any major fires yet in WA. There have been so many bad ones on the eastern side of the Cascades over the last decade you almost can't go hiking without seeing burned areas, at least on the drive. I hope Crystal Hut survives!

Jilly

Staff member
Looks like things are under control this AM. Rain overnight helped. Fire was above Crystal hut and moving up and away from it. There is no hiking or access today on Blackcomb. You can ride the Peak to Peak, but can't get off at the Blackcomb terminal.

My first thought was why not turn on the snow making guns. But I don't remember there being any up that high.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As long as it doesn't get near the refrigeration plant for the bobsled track... You'd see a major evacuation if that happens. The track is maintained by an ammonia-based coolant. Even if the track isn't iced, the ammonia is present at the plant and in the pipes that wind down the track.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whistler has the ski events, but Blackcomb has the Olympic Sliding Centre. That's where bobsled, skeleton, and luge will be held. The track is tucked in a ravine, where you will be able to ski right to the track.

Jilly

Staff member
Its going to be one of those summers.

The fire on Crystal ridge is officially out, but now there is a flare up in Ruby Bowl. BC has also issued a backcountry band. There are 2 other forest fires in the Kelowna area that have people evacuated to Kamloops. All of these fires have been started by nature, not people. That's good, but not good for the forests.

Be careful out there if you are heading backcountry.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I don't know how things have been in the western US states, but British Columbia is having a real problem this year. The interior Kelowna area has had evacuations and high alerts. Things are settling down there, but Blackcomb Mountain has been hit - lightening strikes. If you know the mountain the fire in on Crystal Ridge, just above the day lodge there. Water bombers have been called in.

My cousin's daughter works at Whistler and post on her FB page that the mountain was on fire. So I went looking at CTV and sure enough - https://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090730/blackcomb_fire_090730/20090730?hub=TopStories

Things are staring to pop up. We had smoke here from both the Cascades mountains and North Idaho.

I remember two years ago in McCall, sitting at an outdoor concert in a large mountain valley, watching at least 9 major plumes blowing up into the sky as we listened to the music. Eerie, and scary.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have been unusually lucky this year. Ussually by this time we have been socked in by smoke for a month, the backcountry is closed and you almost feel like your lawnmower could start a fire. The smoke from BC moved in late Sunday night and I know the smaller fire about 15 miles from our house that has been holding at about 400 acres looks like it really blew up today. So granted it smells like a campfire in my house and its eye burning smoky outside right now, I am still counting my blessings that we at least got a good month of July this year. Plus its still quiet as everything on fire is in wilderness areas so no aerial containment at this point.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And now it's Vail's turn. Lightning started a fire this afternoon. They are evacuating the mountain via the gondola as I write.

genthumb.ashx

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IIRC, the Abasin web cam looked greener last year at this time.

It looks dry and scary out there, and fire can take on a life of its own.

Stay safe out there ladies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga