• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

For those of us (ahem) over a certain age.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome. I'll be sharing that with non-ski diva ski buds.

mustski

Angel Diva
On another note - my local mountain doesn't allow instructors to call it a safety bar. They call it the "comfort" bar. The reason is that "safety bar" implies a certain level of danger inherent in riding the chair. It they would add foot rests, they could call it the "foot rest bar." Hmmm. I need to send them this video.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
On another note - my local mountain doesn't allow instructors to call it a safety bar. They call it the "comfort" bar. The reason is that "safety bar" implies a certain level of danger inherent in riding the chair. It they would add foot rests, they could call it the "foot rest bar." Hmmm. I need to send them this video.

Now that's just silly.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the vid. Agree they still look a wee bit youthful still! The whole footrest optional thing is definitely a north american thing though...Never seen even the coolest ski bum with the baggiest ski trousers opt out in the Alps....

Love it. I will praise the footrest though. One of the chair lifts at our home ski place has a foot rest and my do I appreciate this thing after 6-7 hours of skiing.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the vid. Agree they still look a wee bit youthful still! The whole footrest optional thing is definitely a north american thing though...Never seen even the coolest ski bum with the baggiest ski trousers opt out in the Alps....

It's because we all had to give up our ten gallon hats and take the six-shooters off our hips, but we still want to be outlaws .... Seriously, though, the American self-image has a lot to do with being rugged individualists. I really do think that's part of it. And I'm susceptible to it. Most of the people I ski with, me included, don't bother with the bar. If my legs are aching and there's a footrest, I'll use it. Same if there's wind, especially if we're stopped. But DH wants the bar down, and when we were at Crested Butte last winter, some <anatomical term> called DH a <female anatomical term> for asking to put the bar down. I didn't quite hear him at the time; if I had, he might have ended up with some nasty bruises.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's because we all had to give up our ten gallon hats and take the six-shooters off our hips, but we still want to be outlaws .... Seriously, though, the American self-image has a lot to do with being rugged individualists. I really do think that's part of it. And I'm susceptible to it. Most of the people I ski with, me included, don't bother with the bar. If my legs are aching and there's a footrest, I'll use it. Same if there's wind, especially if we're stopped. But DH wants the bar down, and when we were at Crested Butte last winter, some <anatomical term> called DH a <female anatomical term> for asking to put the bar down. I didn't quite hear him at the time; if I had, he might have ended up with some nasty bruises.

Hmmm. I never really thought it was supposed to be cool or rebellious to not use the bar, but I guess that is evidence to the contrary. I just think it's a pain, most of the time; I skied for many years without one, so it didn't seem to be that important. I agree, though, when it's really windy or the seat is slick, I like to have the option. Otherwise meh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga