• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Food that makes you feel GREAT!

altagirl

Staff member
favorite food that feels "heathy" to me - any big green salad. I love salads. I have at least one a week, at least 2 in the summer. I'll pick some of those Dole or similar brand grab-and-go salad mixes and use that as my base. Add maybe some mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, maybe a few nuts or dried cranberries. I'll make my own balsamic dressing for it - I like more of a balsamic taste to mine.
I also make my own soup. Right now, my favorite is Ribolitta - an Italian Tuscan bean soup. My cheese person will give me some Parmesan cheese rind for free and I put it in the soup - it gives it great flavor!!!

Altagirl - what is the name of that restaurant in Sugarhouse? I'm interested in it.

I'm wanting to try making more soups... I actually just ordered a really nice blender so I can try making some squash soups and such.

Anyway - the raw restaruant is Omar's Rawtopia - it's at 2148 S. Highland, which is across the street (to the West) of the Whole Foods in Sugarhouse. You can't really see it from the street so park and walk into the little strip mall there and you'll see it on the right. It's worth looking for! My friend Kimber and I went back yesterday for dinner and each had a combo platter so we could share a bunch of stuff. So far my favorites are the hummus, the bean burrito (which is like... mexican flavored hummus/seed mix wrapped in cabbage or collard greens and somehow tastes absolutely PERFECT), and the sweet basil salad - I NEED to figure out how to make that sweet basil garlic dressing. It's incredible.

https://omarsrawtopia.com/

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm wanting to try making more soups... I actually just ordered a really nice blender so I can try making some squash soups and such.

Anyway - the raw restaruant is Omar's Rawtopia - it's at 2148 S. Highland, which is across the street (to the West) of the Whole Foods in Sugarhouse. You can't really see it from the street so park and walk into the little strip mall there and you'll see it on the right. It's worth looking for! My friend Kimber and I went back yesterday for dinner and each had a combo platter so we could share a bunch of stuff. So far my favorites are the hummus, the bean burrito (which is like... mexican flavored hummus/seed mix wrapped in cabbage or collard greens and somehow tastes absolutely PERFECT), and the sweet basil salad - I NEED to figure out how to make that sweet basil garlic dressing. It's incredible.

https://omarsrawtopia.com/

I know the area. Thanks. Next time I'm down there to go to String Beads or the Sundance Outlet, I'll have to check it out.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to say that my favorite feel good meals are, for cold months, chicken chili with garlic bread...I could eat that every week, especially since it's so freakin' easy to throw together in my crock pot...and for warmer months, fresh meat and veggies on the grill...pretty vague, but fresh grilled food on a warm summer evening always makes me feel awesome.

altagirl

Staff member
I have to say that my favorite feel good meals are, for cold months, chicken chili with garlic bread...I could eat that every week, especially since it's so freakin' easy to throw together in my crock pot...and for warmer months, fresh meat and veggies on the grill...pretty vague, but fresh grilled food on a warm summer evening always makes me feel awesome.

Mmmm.... grilled pineapple too!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Mmmm.... grilled pineapple too!

I LOVE grilled pineapple.

And *yeah that* to michpc-- in the summer we grill tons of veggies (lots of peppers and squash, especially) and either chicken or fish and eat the leftovers for days on salad greens. Yum!

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Faves:
*Gala apples. Yes, I'm specific. I just ate one now and it was awesome. Organic taste better, though they're more expensive.
*Mixed nuts with dried fruit; no salt required.
*Lara bars
*My fave salad: mixed baby greens or mesclun (which must include baby spinach), diced apple, chopped carrot, red peppers, chopped sharp cheddar, cherry tomatoes, chopped pecans, strawberries or blueberries. I'm really liking Asian-style dressings at the moment...
*Strawberries. I could eat them all day long, as long as they're fresh.
Uhg...now I'm hungry :bag:

on top of the above (except the Lara bars, which I find too sweet):
Lentil Soup (usually Progresso or Wegman's)
homemade Turkey Soup
Amy's Black Bean Enchilladas
fresh Tomatoes (with salt or pepper - not both!)
most salads
most fish (if it's really fresh - something I often can't get around here :()
various stir-fry's

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The food that makes me feel the most powerful is black beans, rice and collard greens.

If you put me on a desert island and told me I could only eat the same food for the rest of my life...this would be it.

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I make this odd breakie that I love and makes me feel great...

high fibre cereals mixed together.
Grated apple
skim milk

leave above in fridge overnight - then just before eating add:

chopped up mango
blueberries
strawberries
ground flaxseed
nuts of your choice (I love hazelnuts & almonds)

The other thing I love to eat is homemade minestrone with whatever veggies I've got - but if I have left over roast squash & some paramesan rind...I'm in soup heaven...

Then there is babyspinach with strawberries & goats cheese salad...and mache salad with granny smith apples and roast beetroot...

Great now I'm hungry!!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it bad that I can't think of anything right now? Ugh, food has been a real issue for me lately. :( I swear, after ski season I'm going to spend some time exploring this list and getting my nutrition back in order.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a few stand-by snacks that I always have ready to pack up at home that pretty much get me through every afternoon at work:

Cottage cheese and frozen blueberries and raspberries (packed full of protein and fruit)
Laughing Cow cheese on wasa wheat crackers
Laughing Cow cheese on halved baby sweet peppers
Packs of frozen edamame

All of these are really tasty, low in calories, packed with nutrients, and so easy to grab in the morning.

AG- that place sounds great! I'll have to check it out.

I have a few stand-by snacks that I always have ready to pack up at home that pretty much get me through every afternoon at work:

Cottage cheese and frozen blueberries and raspberries (packed full of protein and fruit)
Laughing Cow cheese on wasa wheat crackers
Laughing Cow cheese on halved baby sweet peppers
Packs of frozen edamame

All of these are really tasty, low in calories, packed with nutrients, and so easy to grab in the morning.

AG- that place sounds great! I'll have to check it out.

La Vache Qui Rit! :laugh:

I grew up eating that cheese....

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOVE cherries. Though the last time I bought them, the kids snuck them out of the fridge while I was in the shower and smushed them all over the living room. :eek: $7 worth of cherries in the garbage. :mad:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And a confession: cupcakes always make me feel GREAT. Don't care how bad they are, I could eat them all day long and be happy. :laugh:

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could eat vanilla yogurt and fresh cantelope all day. I use the yogurt like a dip for the melon. If I really want to be bad I mix in a little FF cool whip into the yogurt.

I also love vanilla yogurt, granola, almonds and fresh strawberries mixed together.

They are both like desserts to me and they help satify my sweet tooth while I gain all of the benefits from power foods.

On a side note, I only like vanilla yogurt but any flavor or plain would do!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
And a confession: cupcakes always make me feel GREAT. Don't care how bad they are, I could eat them all day long and be happy. :laugh:

I love cupcakes, too! I don't know if I could eat them all day long, but they sure are tasty! Perfect ratio of cake to frosting. :eyebrows:

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it bad that I can't think of anything right now? Ugh, food has been a real issue for me lately. :( I swear, after ski season I'm going to spend some time exploring this list and getting my nutrition back in order.

Same here.....(As I ate my Paczki (sp???) earlier and felt guilty after).

Although, tomorrow I going to prepare a nice stir fry with: green, yellow and red peppers, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and bean sprouts. Add some chicken or beef and there's dinner! I will probably have rice as a side.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need a lot of protein. I love eggs scrambled in ghee (clarified butter) for breakfast and lean, hormone free meat of some kind for dinner with fresh veggies or a salad made with baby spinach.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like salad with thunafish and a good soup. Or in italy fresh tomatos (and other vegtables) with some olive oil and salt .... jummy!!!!!

But I think my favorite "food" is some hard stuff to drink. Make me happy and funny!:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga