• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fleece vs. Neoprene balaclava for cold day

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am lazy. That sounds great at 5 bucks or whatever.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got frost bite a few years ago, so I try to be very careful now. A Buff just doesn't do it for me.

Most days I wear a fleece, but on very cold days I need something more. This past season I found this and it's great:

https://www.facesavermask.com

Anyway, it looks kind of weird, but it covers up most of your face -- except for your mouth -- so you don't get the condensation problems you get with conventional face masks. I wear a neck gaiter as well, and I really stay warm.

OMG. When I first looked at this picture, I thought it was one piece for chin and nose and I wasn't interested. But now that I see what it is, I am excited, especially as it doesn't require velcro attachment to goggles (everything I've heard is that Oakleys don't do velcro)

@ski diva - what size did you get? I have a small head ...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is a small. There's nothing that goes over your mouth or chin, which I really like; it doesn't get all wet and soggy or fog up your goggles, like conventional face masks. I learned about it from Quiver Queen, who found it in a shop somewhere. I ordered mine directly from the company.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got frost bite a few years ago, so I try to be very careful now. A Buff just doesn't do it for me.

Most days I wear a fleece, but on very cold days I need something more. This past season I found this and it's great:

https://www.facesavermask.com

Anyway, it looks kind of weird, but it covers up most of your face -- except for your mouth -- so you don't get the condensation problems you get with conventional face masks. I wear a neck gaiter as well, and I really stay warm.

I've had either frostbite or frostnip (are they two different things?) to a strip across my lower forehead and eyebrows.I was wearing an old down parka and had fallen a lot on a wet blowy snowy day, so my goggles were unwearable and my jacket was soaked and freezing, and I was skiing as fast as I could to reach the base before I shivered myself to death. It was tender for a while and then peeled like I'd had a really bad sunburn, which I probably looked pretty weird.

The Facesaver mask looks really nice. My neoprene mask fits pretty well, but 1) it doesn't cover much of my cheeks and 2) it covers my mouth, which never feels quite right even though there are little holes to breathe through. The Facesaver mask looks more practical, so long as a balaclava/scarf/buffy won't slip off of it leaving my chin unprotected.

Any size guidance would be appreciated...

ETA: I like the long list of local stores that carry it; I drive within a block or two of Wasatch Touring just about every day. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ETA: I like the long list of local stores that carry it; I drive within a block or two of Wasatch Touring just about every day. :smile:

Sigh. I am bummed by the ordering process - mail the check, then wait for the shipment. This is rough in the days of amazon prime. There's a shop in Breck that supposedly carries them, but I won't be there for a couple weeks and I am usually occupied (ie, skiing) during business hours anyway.

mustski

Angel Diva
Sigh. I am bummed by the ordering process - mail the check, then wait for the shipment. This is rough in the days of amazon prime. There's a shop in Breck that supposedly carries them, but I won't be there for a couple weeks and I am usually occupied (ie, skiing) during business hours anyway.
Yes. I went to their website and was totally turned off. In this day and age, not having an online presence is totally foolish. We like our few days shipping, instant gratification, delivery to the house thing! I'm sure it's a great product but that is 3 of us right here that checked it out and ....
@ski diva - maybe they could sell them here and the website could get a commission!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I asked about PayPal. They don't support it yet. This seems crazy easy to address. Anyway, I will be ordering.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I asked about PayPal. They don't support it yet. This seems crazy easy to address. Anyway, I will be ordering.
It does sound like the operation consists of one guy sewing these things together. Not everyone knows how dead easy it is to set up to sell with Paypal. Hell, he could list them on eBay and sell a grundle of them while only losing a few dollars in seller's fees.

Meanwhile, if anyone really really wants one right away but is completely averse to dealing with the mail, I'd be willing to buy and mail them to people if they wanted to send the cost plus maybe a dollar to cover stamps and the Paypal fee to my email address. I don't want to make a full time business of it, but hey, we're all Divas under the skin, right?

marzNC

Angel Diva
It does sound like the operation consists of one guy sewing these things together. Not everyone knows how dead easy it is to set up to sell with Paypal. Hell, he could list them on eBay and sell a grundle of them while only losing a few dollars in seller's fees.

Meanwhile, if anyone really really wants one right away but is completely averse to dealing with the mail, I'd be willing to buy and mail them to people if they wanted to send the cost plus maybe a dollar to cover stamps and the Paypal fee to my email address. I don't want to make a full time business of it, but hey, we're all Divas under the skin, right?
Wasn't paying attention . . .

I bought a Facesaver at a shop at Alta last April. I like it. But haven't had a chance to use it in really cold weather. When I emailed in May or June about getting one for my daughter, he was quite willing to ship one before getting a check.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just ordered mind. Check is in the mail! When I get it, I will report on the size.

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have decided upon the combination of micro-fleece balaclava with a polysetser tube over top. (That's what I'm wearing in my avatar pic right there).

Skiing 3 times so far this season, I've already encountered a large range of conditions. These 2 are perfect & versatile for any weather!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got mine today. I got a medium and it fits perfectly. The velcro closure is about 2 inches wide, so it allows for some size differences. The neoprene also stretches a bit. It seems well made, too. The neoprene does NOT have that rubbery smell that I hate so much. There is a nice, soft, fuzzy backing to the neoprene.

I think I am going to be quite happy with this. Thanks for the recommendation.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am a Skida junkie (my collection frequently grows, but I am very open about my addiction :thumb:), and wear either their Nordic (unlined) or Alpine (lined) hat under my helmet, and either their neck warmer (stretchy tubular, lined with fleece) or their bandana (cotton lined with fleece) on my neck. If I cannot live in my VT, I may as well support a VT company!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I went through all my gear last week I found a fleece-lined windproof balaclava I must have picked up at the end of the season. No neoprene at all, but if it fits well with layers and a jacket I probably won't need anything else. I'd still like to check out one of those tube-shaped things for days when I want a little wind protection around my neck without wearing a hat/balaclava.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga