• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First Tracks for the 2012 Season

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the description of the dreaded Death Cookies!! I Finally I have 4 days in.. going this am for a few runs at Royal.. then work work work. for a 'slow' real estate market I'm staying busy and missing too many ski days.. can't wait to come back to okemo think we'll be moving into VT to get several days in! off to the mt.. Have a great Ski holiday if you are lucky enough to be skiing!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great description of a death cookie. :thumbsup: That's precisely what I mean when I say death cookie. And I hate them soooo much. Even though I encounter them way more often than I'd care for.

I ran into the Death Cookie of Doom this morning. Went airborne, had a yard sale, lived to tell about it. Nasty thing. Bloody thing was so huge I checked my boards at the bottom of the hill for a possible core shot.

I hates 'em, I do.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, how big is a really big death cookie?

The one I hit was just a bit smaller than a volleyball. And it was hidden in a powder bank. Previously, I'd considered a "really big" one to be the size of a softball. But even if they're only the size of a hockey puck (more typical around here) they're trouble if there are hundreds of them. :fear:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's not a death cookie, that's a death melon!! :eek:
I'm off for my first runs of the season in our local mountains, which have more natural snow than Mammoth or Tahoe :noidea: It's going to be very warm up there (mid-50's) but we'll just have to strip the layers off as the day warms up. Super excited!!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I went out today for the first time this season in Ax les Thermes (Pyrenees) on my Voelkl Amaruqs (telemark setup). There is not a heck of a lot of snow, but it did the trick for day 1. I fly to Munich tomorrow, and next week I plan to get a few days in the Austrian Alps.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are mustski and me at Snow Valley in SoCal last week (Dec 27th.) Had a great first day on the slopes!!
377865_3061131293607_1423189747_33210417_1467664706_n.jpg

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fiiiiiiinally got my first tracks in for the 2012 season!

I was at home in Iowa and went to Snowstar with my mom--a friend of hers is a patroller there, so it's cool to get a few extra runs in if I stay to help turn off lights at the end of the night. Small place, but it was perfect because I was using my new boots (Tecnica Inferno Crush) and was still low on energy from being so sick for so long. I used rental skis (but they were brand new, never skied Rossignol's with a rocker)--no way I was going to use mine on WROD with grass, rocks and less than a 12" base in a lot of places. Overall, I had a good first two days getting my ski legs back under me. I need to get my boots tweaked a little bit, but I am pretty happy with them so far. I am ready for the rest of the season!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got my first tracks in at Snowbasin 12-23, and promptly had a spectacular crash at the top on the 4th run. Skied down and banished myself to the bunny hill for not warming up enough. Recovered well enough to be skiing from the top again in a few days, and mid-mountain the following day.

Conditions were really good until the last 2 days, when they turned to mashed potatoes. But that was good practice for SoCal, and I got to break in my new skis. Trying to figure out what I should do for a snow dance now.....really don't want to head up the local mountains until there's more snow and it's colder.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We skied day 20 here, in packed powder and hardpack. Some death cookies on the run out from the Bowl, and I just missed one by skiing "wide" and letting it pass harmlessly between my legs. Damn thing looked like a 10" square ice cube! Then we met up with some visitors from MN and showed them around the rest of the day. They kept up from sheer grit! Gotta hand it to them: they did not ski well enough to be doing what they were doing. He said he'd been up on Marx four years ago (I think they've been skiing five!) and pretty much fell all the way down. Part of being a decent skier is knowing what you have no business doing, and this guy didn't even know what "self arrest" meant!!

Spark

Certified Ski Diva
I've got 10 days in so far, and 2012 started just how 2011 finished, by skiing, yeah!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gonna try to make it out tomorrow after work! Will report back if I actually manage to get more than 1-2 runs in. :p

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got to ski... like multiple runs. No death cookies, no crowds, no getting hit... yay! Next up, hopefully next week, first lesson! :ski:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think tomorrow is day 4...I can't have lost count so soon, can I? They've been spaced pretty far apart, but still.

I've been thinking I should start a notebook for my ski days so I can write down where I went, the conditions, how it felt, who I saw, stuff like that. Last year I was always either renting skis or buying stuff at the restaurants--a cup of coffee, a bag of chips--but this year I've just been driving up, dressing at the base, skiing to the lift, and then reversing order, sometimes stopping to chug water at Alf's or something. So I can't just look at my checkbook to see.

Oh, wait, I think I can see my ski history at Alta, anyway. I'll check that out. Still, it'd be nice to have notes.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will be my day 9 (I count first 2 and the last day as one day), should've been more if my legs and feet were not toast. Looks like we are having a powder season this year - being hit by storm after storm and the snowfall by the end of last week doubled the snowfall for the whole of last season and there was almost another meter after. Zermatt and Val Torens were cut off by avalanches last night, so fingers crossed I will make it up tonight. Bluebird day tomorrow and light snow for Sunday are forecast.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've been thinking I should start a notebook for my ski days so I can write down where I went, the conditions, how it felt, who I saw, stuff like that.

I keep track of all my ski days: where, with whom, conditions, any other highlights that might help me remember the day. I'm afraid without this, it might all be a blur! So I know that today will be day 14 today (plus 3 x-c).

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep track of all my ski days: where, with whom, conditions, any other highlights that might help me remember the day. I'm afraid without this, it might all be a blur! So I know that today will be day 14 today (plus 3 x-c).

What I love about my Epic Pass is that it keeps track of everything for me, coolest feature by far :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga