• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First Time Visiting Cannon (March 2021) - Advice?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I have 2 days to use at Cannon on my Indy Pass and it will be my first visit. I'll most likely go as a day trip from Boston. I'll wait until the school vacation weeks are over and go in March - I'm usually off on Mondays and like to ski then because of fewer crowds, but they also have a Women's Clinic Saturday mornings that will still be running the first 2 weeks in March, so considering that as well. Suggestions for intermediate trails? Weather/conditions to wait for? Know anything about the Women's Clinic? Any COVID-specific intel? I've already been booting up in my car, eating outside, and using trailer bathrooms at the other hills I've been to this year.

I should mention that I might have psyched myself out about Cannon. I've been passing it for years to get to North Conway and it rises out of nowhere like Mordor in my mind. I actually got 2 passes to go there last year, which I never got to use because of the pandemic (they extended them to the end of December 2020, but there wasn't much skiing then). On the other hand, I've been to Wildcat which on paper has some similar mountain stats, but last time I went (last Feb), I was frustrated by the mobs of teenage snowboarders and iciness.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I

I should mention that I might have psyched myself out about Cannon. I've been passing it for years to get to North Conway and it rises out of nowhere like Mordor in my mind. I actually got 2 passes to go there last year, which I never got to use because of the pandemic (they extended them to the end of December 2020, but there wasn't much skiing then). On the other hand, I've been to Wildcat which on paper has some similar mountain stats, but last time I went (last Feb), I was frustrated by the mobs of teenage snowboarders and iciness.

I love the image of Mordor! I have not skied Cannon in 10 or 15 years at least. Back in the early 2000s I went there every weekend. A lot of it is skiable but a lot of it does require you to stop and consider. The front five which look as though they land on route 93 do intimidate! I used to work with someone who would never consider going to Cannon because of what it looked like from Route 93! However since I could ski them that long ago they are definitely skiable. Of course I used to get on Avalanche which is a fairly steep black on the front. And all I could think of was that Jean Claude Killy had raced there! And I sort of skidded most of that! But it was exhilarating!

I figure someone will pop in with a better answer. But thank you for giving me the trip down memory lane!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 2 days to use at Cannon on my Indy Pass and it will be my first visit. I'll most likely go as a day trip from Boston. I'll wait until the school vacation weeks are over and go in March - I'm usually off on Mondays and like to ski then because of fewer crowds, but they also have a Women's Clinic Saturday mornings that will still be running the first 2 weeks in March, so considering that as well. Suggestions for intermediate trails? Weather/conditions to wait for? Know anything about the Women's Clinic? ....
I should mention that I might have psyched myself out about Cannon.
Ohhhh Cannon. I worked there for 8 years. Park at the Peabody Lodge, off exit 34C off I-93.

Probably you should avoid the main lift in front of the lodge for your first turns of the day. I don't know your level of skiing, but if you are tentative at all on ice, you'll want to wait on that lift. The Eaglecliff lift is much friendlier, but they don't run it on weekdays. If you go on a weekend, you'll love that lift. It accesses the front five, which you see from the highway as you go through Franconia Notch.

The Tuckerbrook area is a good place to start. Ski down the trail you see on your right as you exit the Peabody Lodge. There are two lifts along that trail. On weekdays they may not have the first running, so go to the second lift. At the top you have possibilities in both exit directions. These are short trails. They are great for warm-ups. Some of them can be rather challenging for short distances, of course depending on your level of experience.

Now you're warmed up and ready for the main lift. As you ride it up, you go from the climate at the bottom into alpine temps. There's a notable change. As you exit, you have three ways to go. At first, avoid going rider's left. Instead, hang a sharp right and go down under the lift. Watch for traffic. This gets a ton of traffic so by 10:00 or 11:00 it's a polished sheet of ice. As you exit it, you're at a huge intersection with multiple ways to go. Stop and regroup. Look at a trail map. You can head over to the the front five, or down the middle of the mountain sort of under the lift. Play with these options.

Ride the lift again, this time heading down towards the summit chair. Refer to the trail map to see how to get down there. Big Link can be bumped up and/or icy in the middle and traffic can be harrowing. Try to avoid it. Head over to Easy Link. It will take you down to a huge field of snow, with multiple options. First time there, head down to the lodge via Middle Ravine on your right. Hang close to the wall if you feel the gulp factor. When the trail splits go to your right and keep heading down to the lodge.

Once you get to the front five, the one nearest the exit you took, Gary's, is the lowest pitch. Take it. Then work your way across them. Rocket is very steep at first, but then levels out to a nice steepish run. Zoomer is flattish at the top, then steep and icy past the crowds on the lift, then shallow at the bottom. Paulie's is narrower and a bit twisty, but it's out of sight of the lift if that makes you feel better. Avalanche is the steepest of the five, but it's very wide and has no double fall line. For each of these, head to the Zoomer lift when you get to the bottom and ride back up for repeats.

That leaves the summit Cannonball lift, the Tram (works on weekends), and the double at Mittersill. The Tram is accessed from Avalanche; head right when you get to the bottom and cruise over to the building. Remove skis, go inside, wait in line. It takes you to the summit, to access the same trails as the summit Cannonball lift.

With all that said, if you can catch the women's group on a Saturday, then by all means do it. The downside is the crowds. They do polish those trails shiny. I know that Cannon can be intimidating. The views from the summit are awesome; if you go up there to ski, and if you are OK with mild bumps, I highly remommend Vista Way. Tram Way is the easiest way down, but its entry is always icy and narrow. It gets better after that.

People like Upper Ravine. I never liked it because of people bombing it out of control, coming up on me from behind. I stayed off Upper Ravine and Upper Cannon when I worked there because of those skiers. The trails however are lovely, just lovely. Watch your back.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot about Mittersill. You should grab a companion and ride the chair up Mittersill. That chair ride in itself is worth the time it takes to get over there. Access it from the Tuckerbrook area. Just ask someone at the lift how to get to the Mittersill chair. It's easy to ski over. Once at the top, ski down Barron's or the loop made by Skyline and Ridge Run. The escape back to Tuckerbrook pulls off to skier's right of Barron's. If there's a race on that trail, be prepared for bumps on Skyline.

You should also make sure you get to ride the Tram at least once. There's a cafe at the top, and bathrooms.

Be sure to report back!!!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The best way to experience Cannon is in your rear-view mirror as you drive to a mountain that has decent grooming and trails that aren't steep, narrow, ice flumes.

:smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fear I may have written too negatively about Cannon. It's very special, and has unique character.

It has heart-stopping views from the top, superior high level bumps on the front and elsewhere, expert-only tree runs, and more wenched groomers (steep) than any other place around. It's known as a "skiers' mountain," meaning it is loved by people who are skiers (who ski regularly and assertively), not so much by people who ski (infrequent skiers).

You can ski it in "pods," treating each area accessed by one lift as a mountain all by itself. My favorite pod was the front five. Down the middle under the main lift is another. The summit is most people's favorite because it has everything, dense glades, big wide groomers, steeps, light bumps, views, and a wide bump run that's quite challenging (Middle Hardscrapple).

Tuckerbrook area is another. And Mittersill is actually another mountain with dense glades and goat paths to delight those who love them, plus a very long groomer and a race slope at the bottom with a surface lift. Racers train over there. After President's Week race season may be over; I'm not sure. That wide open trail at the bottom may be a great playground for you if the racers are not there.

Enjoy my former mountain!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love Cannon! It's one of my favorite mountains. But it can be challenging in places. Regarding Mittersill, I honestly not have had a great run over there since they opened it (great runs before they opened it). Trails were either really skied off and icy or narrow and icy. I don't think they quite have their grooming/ssnow-making game down over there yet, or I just haven't found the right set of trails.

An easy way to get to the Zoomer Chair is to go over to the Eagle Cliff triple and ski down Gary's. Then you can lap Gary's or Rocket from the Zoomer chair if you want to stay on Blues.

From the Peabody Lift, take the go around Easy Link (I think that's correct) --you avoid a lot of the cluster on Big Link that way. Then you can ski down Middle Ravine and take your pick from the blues and greens. They are nice cruisers. Or head over to the Cannonball quad and head for the fun, twisty trails off the summit Vista Way, Tram Way, or Upper Cannon. Note that Middle Cannon and Bypass can get really skied off, so if you need to go on them, just know what to expect. Aim for the piles of snow to make your turns.

Spring skiing on Cannon it THE BEST. So keep that in mind as well.

Enjoy!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, let me restate.

Do NOT go to Cannon if yesterday it got up to 50 degrees for most of the day...
then overnight it went down to 18 degrees with wind, and stayed that low all night, with the expectation that the day you go the temps will get all the way up to 32º by 3:00.

No no NO!!! The whole mountain will have been groomed when everything was still warm slop, then it will have melted into smoothness during the dark hours of the night instead of staying corduroy, since it takes so long to cool down from 50. In the early morning hours, as the cold front comes in, it will have frozen solid. SOLID. Mt ops will not have groomed everything again in the morning (creating grippable shaved ice) because it takes too long. In front of the lodge will have been groomed, along with the beginner slopes of Tuckerbrook. You'll need to know how to ski ice if you venture up the hill.

However, if it is getting upwards of 40-50 degrees every day and heading down to the lower 30s in the night, then warming up the day you are coming again to 40-50 by noon, that's normal spring skiing. If you can ski warm soft snow, and love it, then for sure go.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sorry, I didn’t mean to make my comment in relation to yours, hope it didn’t come out argumentative that way. I assumed it’s understood that what you were referring to wasn’t spring skiing but a thaw refreeze cycle.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet Thanks for the turn-by-turn preview of the mountain - I feel MUCH more knowledgeable and better equipped and excited for my first visit. I didn't think that you wrote negatively - just judiciously :smile: @TeleChica Thanks for your update on Mittersill and your suggestions for blues!

And thanks for all of the warnings about the ice.

I've only done a little spring skiing - I remember it being delightfully sunny, sloppy, forgiving snow, and a good workout...so I'll consider it. It's just that something happens in my brain when spring comes along that my desire to go skiing seems to switch to a desire to go running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga