• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First time to Tremblant

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So last October, one of my best guy friends asked me if I wanted to join him and some of his friends on their annual trip to Tremblant since I had learned to ski last year. I of course said absolutely and set my goal "to be able to keep up with everyone". So I have been taking lessons, I leased skis for the season, I've been skiing every chance I get and the weekend was finally here. I just have to say: mission accomplished! Not only was I not relegated to the bunny slope (as was my fear in October) but I was skiing with guys that have been skiing for 10-15 years longer than me and keeping up! Highlight of the weekend: I was skiing with 3 of the guys and we reached a fork in the trail, I glanced at the sign and saw that one way led to a black and the other to a blue, the boys started heading for the black and I yelled over "I'll take the blue and meet you at the bottom". We got to the bottom and my friend said "Mary, why did you go the other way? You had just done a black! You didn't need to bail, you were doing great!" "What?! I don't believe you! Show me the trail map! I'm just doing blues, there is no way I did a black" and sure enough I had been doing Kandahar for the last 3 runs! What a great feeling (and I'm glad I hadn't known ahead of time and had just been chasing after the guys not really paying attention to where we were actually going). It is amazing what a difference it makes if you are being pushed and if you are just skiing, I felt like I skied better this weekend NOT thinking about perfect technique than I have in any lesson.
Although the mountain was pretty icy/in some places had chunks of ice/snow the size of softballs (and was super cold/windy) and crowded because of the holiday week, we still had a great time! What a fun place! I loved trying to pick up some French and everyone was just so nice! First wipe out of the weekend was on my second run of the day, popped out of my ski and then slid about 25 feet (I always end up going for a fun slide whenever I fall!). As I'm standing up an instructor skis over and places my ski down for me, offers to let me hold on to him while I step back in and holds my ski so it doesn't slide away from me. The ice (and some lovely natural bumps/mogu-y things on a trail that leads to the gondola) made for some epic falls but someone always stopped and helped me pick up the pieces (and in many cases bring me the ski(s) or pole that I left half way up the run and to ask if I was alright. The village was so fun (and man, how have I never tried poutine before!) and the chalet we had about 25 minutes away was beautiful, I can't wait until next year!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
So glad you enjoyed Tremblant. I'm always happy when someone has a great time at "my" mountain!

RhodySkier

Certified Ski Diva
Congrats on your first black run and keeping up with the boys! :yahoo:
I accidentally skied my first black run following Mr. RhodySkier down a green that neither one of us realized turned into black. Great feeling of accomplishment when I figured out the trail I had been skiing. Congrats again and thanks for sharing your story!:smile:

smartjingle

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like a fun time! :smile:

I was going to go to Tremblant... well... today actually, but other stuff got in the way :( that and the fact that my new skis haven't yet arrived. Oh well, maybe next year.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll second everything marymack said except I was chasing Jilly and SkiBam rather than some male buddies!

I really enjoyed the mountain - almost every lift is high speed so the lines weren't horrendous even at its most crowded; the trails were wide and long and well groomed, and this was the first time we took a ski vacation where the base had a real "village" feel to it. I myself didn't like the poutine as well as the rest of my family - but we enjoyed many fun restaurants over the week - and our accommodations were comfortable.

The ski school for my boys was a little chaotic, but I am going to generously attribute that to the crowds. My boys had a much better time their second ski school day than they had the first. I put DD in the "ski week" which was 4 days in a row with the same instructor, and that made a lot of difference to her experience! She had a grand time...

All in all, I would definitely return to Tremblant given the opportunity. There are so many mountains I want to try (within the same 8 hour drive time span) I might try some others first, but would definitely give it a big thumbs up to anyone who asked me if it was worth the drive!:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga