• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First day blues

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I finally got out for the first time yesterday. We just went to Wachusett, because we wanted to get home before the snowstorm.

The first couple of hours were agony! My normally comfy, custom fitted boots had forgotten my feet over the long summer, so they were killing me. That in turn threw off my coordination and I had a very tough time the first couple of runs.

After a couple of hours, though, my boot linings molded back to my feet and I was actually able to enjoy the skiing and my new Auroras. (Conditions were pretty decent by the way.)

But by lunchtime, I was fried, spent, used up and generally wrung out. This after walking 6 miles several times a week, twice weekly Pilates and regular visits to the gym. What's up with that? Shouldn't I
have more endurance than I did yesterday?:confused:

Anyway, all that said, I am looking forward to getting out there soon - before my boots revert again!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I had similar issues last Friday - I just felt plain awkward on my skis. By the next day, I had loosened up.

A fitness routine certainly helps, but alpine skiing uses muscles that aren't used in a lot of other forms of exercise....it's hard to duplicate the muscles used in edging. Bike riding and rollerblading can help build up your quads, though.

I'd bet the next time you get out there, you'll feel spectacular!

EmilieW

Certified Ski Diva
I had similar issues too a few weeks ago--my boots were giving me issues which gets on my nerves, kept having to stop to mess with them. And I was wiped out by mid afternoon--use totally different muscles than you do walking! The key for me is just taking frequent breaks to rest my legs, get some water and recharge..I feel like its wasting valuable skiing time but I get more out of the day if I stop when I need to. Especially now that I'm skiing at a higher altitude, it really takes more energy. And I'm also 33 and not 18 anymore :smile:

Anyway good luck w/ your next trip out, I am sure it will be better!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Cheer up - you've got tons of company. :wink:
(I almost hate to admit that this is a problem that worsens as the years go by, but....)
Agree with above re: ski-specific muscles.

Indeed, seems like no matter the off-season fitness routine....getting back out there is just punishing those first "few" days ("few" varying by individual -- I find I am nowhere near in the groove much before my 10th day out).

About the boots, though: remedy that by wearing them around a couple of hours a few times before you head out.

altagirl

Staff member
No matter what people advertise with ski specific workouts, skiers edge machines, etc.... NOTHING is QUITE like skiing. And it takes a couple days before your muscles get used to the new activity.

For example - for PT for my shoulder, they had me start with 5 minutes on the arm-bike. That 5 minutes was agony! But after that first day, I went to 7 minutes and then added 5 minutes a day and after a couple weeks can easily do 45 minutes and stop because I'm bored, not because my arms are exhausted. Those first few days and weeks have a steep learning curve because most of it is getting used to the new activity, not building new muscle. i.e. -you're remembering how to effectively use the muscle you have. Even if you did a great job of visualizing and doing the best ski-specific exercises out there - your feet probably aren't used to being cramped into tight boots either and if your feet are tight/cramping, that makes you feel tight and uncomfortable all over and you're not going to ski well.

I don't know anyone who doesn't feel some foot/calf cramping/annoyance especially on their first day of the season. I guess you could try clomping around the house in your boots for a few hours a day beforehand, but most people don't go that far. ;) I guess personally, I figure those first few days probably won't have amazingly good snow and I plan for those days to be rather short, and don't expect much from myself, and just build up gradually, and that seems to work for me. :smile:

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
day 5 skiing - and I'm still feeling the burn (and a bit cramped in the boots)

...getting better though - my first day I lasted 1hr & was feeling like "I have done this before, really I have"...today I lasted 4 hrs (1 break in there) and was zipping down the blacks! :ski2:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I did clomp around the house for about an hour before my first day skiing, but the boots still felt like they belonged to someone else the first day I skied them. It took about 3 days for them to remember who I was.

Now on this next trip to CO I plan to wear a different pair of boots. I tried them on last night and they felt fine. :fear: I am bringing both pairs but will leave one pair in CO in case our next trip out we fly rather than drive. We will also leave skis and helmets.

I am not bringing the Auras because I don't want to leave them; I want to use them at Mammoth. So I will get to decide how I like the Phat Luvs. Won't even ski them this trip unless there's some decent new snow.

Jilly

Staff member
cyn, I have to agree that you are in good company. It doesn't seem to matter what you do off season, that first day is agony.

My first day this year was at a CSIA clinic. I was so glad that they took us off the mountain early due to weather. I don't think I would have made the full day. Other years we've gotten to ski at least 1 or 2 days before this thing. Not this year. My calves were killing me, not sure if I had the boots too tight or what. Manage to survive the rest of the week and weekend. But usually my first day or two are shorter than later in the season. Your body/muscles just need to get used to this.

And as MSL says, I do think it gets worst with age!!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going to post an alternative perspective on this topic. For me, the first day of the season was bliss! No soreness at all. I did have sore calves the next day but I now realize that was an error in my workout and next year I'll add some calf work about a month before the season starts.

I just got home from days 2 and 3 on snow at Tremblant, and it was incredible. I enjoyed every minute of a full day of hard skiing on Sat, including a whole lot of bump runs. :smile: Keep in mind I have missed 2 years of skiing due to injury so I would probably have felt that bliss even if I was sore. But I wasn't sore. Not while skiing, and not the next day. I skied again today all day - and lots more bumps - and still no soreness.

This makes me super happy because I was worried my hip wouldn't tolerate bumps - but looks like it does. :yahoo:

All that to say - in my opinion/experience, you can work all the muscles involved in skiing without skiing. I think that people in their 20s and probably early 30s can ski to get in shape for skiing, but as we age that gets harder. But some smart strength and mobility work throughout the summer - or even just for 2-3 months pre-season - can make the start of season that much more fun.

But for anyone that is starting off a little sore - hang in there - you know it will get better and there are lots of great snow days ahead!

In fact, something we realized today on the hill - winter hasn't even started yet - today's the last day of fall!

Elsbeth

altagirl

Staff member
I don't actually get any calf muscle soreness, (or muscle soreness in general for that matter unless I'm telemarking) - I get cramping in my calves until they get used to being in ski boots again. I don't really see any good way to simulate that with dry land exercise (I already have some well-exercised calf muscles) - but if you've got something, fill us in!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had calf cramping from skiing. But in general it's usually a sign that the stabilizers might be weak. I'd add some low-level plyometric exercises to what you're doing. Doesn't even need to be much. A set of 3 hops over small hurdles (can even use cans of soup) and "stick" the landing of each hop before doing the next. Repeat on the other foot and then repeat in the other direction. Rest for a minute or so and then repeat. Just that little bit of training say 3x per week for 3 weeks will probably get you all set.

It can also be from really tight muscles, in which case some more stretching and foam rolling can help.

And it can also be related to nutrition.

All that aside - if it only ever happens first few days of skiing - never for any other activities - then of course it could be boot related. I'm not well versed in boot fitting so can't suggest anything there.

Hopefully whatever the cause it doesn't last too long into the season!

Elsbeth

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can sympathize w/ those first day blues! You're so excited to finally be back out there and it seems your body and equipment just doesn't want to let you fly. LOL
I have been out 5 times so far this year and until the 5th day I wasn't able to ski more than a couple of hours due to fatigue. Fear not, it comes back...
Also, those Auroras are demanding skis!! I aquired mine after the end of last season. :smile: They kicked my butt the first 2 days on them this year! Third day on them was heaven though. Maybe switch over to a less demanding ski for an outing or two until you feel more comfortable in your boots and get your ski legs back? Just a thought.

altagirl

Staff member
evaino - all I can say is that I think you're the lucky exception. I was asking my husband and he agreed that he's never even heard of anyone who doesn't get some foot/calf cramping the first day of the season. And since it goes away after usually one day of skiing - I can't imagine that it's fitness related, nutrition related, or flexibility related - because none of those things could possibly get fixed with a couple hours on the slopes. And the cramping is usually in full effect by the time I walk 100' in my boots to the lift line - so it's not necessarily even related to skiing - but it affects my skiing because the cramping just makes me feel stiff and uncomfortable.

My suspicion is that it's nothing more than my feet and calves "forgetting" how to deal with working while confined to a limited range of motion in ski boots. I guess I could try simulating that by working out in ski boots pre-season... but hahaha - (sorry, still picturing myself clomping around the gym in ski boots) - I'm not sure it's worth the effort to solve a problem that only lasts a few hours. (Not to mention - I rarely plan to ski more than a couple hours on my first day of the season - usually there's not much open anyway).

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had similar issues last Friday - I just felt plain awkward on my skis. By the next day, I had loosened up.

A fitness routine certainly helps, but alpine skiing uses muscles that aren't used in a lot of other forms of exercise....it's hard to duplicate the muscles used in edging. Bike riding and rollerblading can help build up your quads, though.

I'd bet the next time you get out there, you'll feel spectacular!
You did not look awkward.

From my experience, sometimes I start the season asking myself, "T - Do you remember how to ski?"

Usually I shake the weird funk in short order and embrace Day #2 with more confidence and bigger > :becky: <

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey I'm not alone! Hooray!!!

Actually my problems on Saturday were twofold: my boots have been fitted so precisely that they were grabbing too tightly around my ankles and achilles tendons. My ankles were just killing me. It was almost miraculous how after about 2 hours, I noticed that suddenly they didn't hurt anymore. But man, those first 2 hours.....we really do suffer for our sport!

And re problem #2: Snowflake, I think you are right about the Auroras. They are very demanding skis for sure. It wasn't so much that I had trouble skiing them as it was about muscle fatigue, plain and simple. And I can't switch to a more forgiving ski, because I sold both pairs this fall at a swap.

So in the final analysis, I guess there is only one solution: ski more! I think I can manage that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna