• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Finally - New skis - where to begin?

andervander

Diva in Training
New here to Ski Diva and loving this site! I have been skiing for 35 years, now almost exclusively in Tahoe. Since kids, I only get maybe 10 ski days per year.

Haven't been on my own skis for awhile (old, heavy, narrow K2s), have been skiing on demos -- K2, Dynastar, others, but it's getting expensive and I am finally looking for new skis and boots. Where to begin?

I am 5'6", 165, advanced skier, not terribly aggressive anymore, mostly groomed, crud, some powder, black diamond. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jilly

Staff member
First thing is boots. Boots have got to fit, or you won't be a happy skier. So, find a good boot fitter and trust. How do you do that? Ask around locally. And maybe some of our California Diva's can name someone.

Then skis. When you were demo'ing did any one ski stand out? Any one was a disaster?

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
I couldn't agree more. Boots that fit are a must. I couldn't believe the diffference it made after I got custom fitted along orthodics. I went to a local independent bootfitter in LA, and was going to suggest SureFoot for you, then realized there wasn't one in Tahoe...

andervander

Diva in Training
Thanks, Of the skis I demoed, I liked the K2 Phat Luv and the Salomon Scream, but wasn't in love with either... The Phat seemed a bit "light weight" I guess and the Scream, just didn't knock my socks off. Although both, being shaped skis were way better than the old straight K2's I had been on.

As for boots, I have really narrow feet, so my options have always been limited. I finally gave up my beloved Raichle's (so old they had a leather lining with the "flow" gel inside) and replaced them with Lange X-9s. Despite having them fit (and re-fit and re-fit) at a recommended fitter at Squaw, they were still aching pain at the end of the day. Last season I just borrowed a pair of old pink boots from a friend (don't remember the brand) -- I gave up control, but at least they were comfortable.

I guess I'm a little suspect of the expert fitters and have been procrastinating entering the dreaded narrow foot ski boot fit game again :smile:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I guess I'm a little suspect of the expert fitters and have been procrastinating entering the dreaded narrow foot ski boot fit game again :smile:

I'm in the same boat...I'm currently in a pair of Lange freestyle boots with Surefit custom liners....the only solution I could find for my narrow foot. However, you may want to try Full Tilt boots....they are based on the old Raichles and are good for narrow feet...and they look way cool!

Jilly

Staff member
Well the Salomon scream has been discontinued for a few years now. Alot of the Diva's like the Volkl's. I haven't been able to try any myself.

The scream series has been replaced by the X-wing. The Diamond is supposed to be similar to the X-wing storm. I'm looking into demo'ing it this Saturday or maybe sooner. (need to talk to the rep on Wednesday!) I'm really only up close and personal with the Atomic, Rossi and Salomon lines. So in those lines, you might want to try an Atomic 7th heaven and the Heaven's Gate. In Rossi the Attraxion VI or XII. Also the Salomon Origin. Sorry to suggest that you spend some more money, but its really the only way!

Try the Full Tilt's and some of the newer Langes. Atomic makes a narrow boot, M line as does Rossi (which is based on the Lange molds!) Talk to others and find a different boot fitter! We have a few Diva's in Tahoe, come on gals help her out!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Here's some boot fitter info for you to get started:
https://www.epicski.com/wiki/boot-fitters-on-epicski

Moderator SnowHot also put up a whole thread on her boot fitting adventure, profusely illustrated :becky: - try to hunt it down and have a look. (I'm sure the fitter's name is dropped!)

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out the gear review threads for some ideas.
also try Skipresse ski finder.
Try to find an on-mountain demo day You can try out many different skis.:jealous:
Have fun

andervander

Diva in Training
Ski Boots - done

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I went to several shops and tried on boots from Nordica, Tecnica, Dalbello, and Salomon, and found the perfect boot -- the Salomon Scarlet (narrowest and even better than the Salomon CS that the guy was kind of pushing) -- just the right fit for my narrow feet, I felt like Cinderella! The 25.5 was the size for my 9AA foot.

It's on order and can't wait to try it out on some demo skis during the Christmas break in Tahoe. Next question: from all the reviews here, I'm thinking to Demo the Volkl Aura & Aurora, Salomon Lady and the K2 Lotta Luv. Any other suggestions?

At 5'6" and 165, advanced to expert, but mostly groomed in Tahoe, am I better off on the 160 end or 169 end length?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna