• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

FINALLY a powder day in Vermont!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a long time coming, Divas, but we finally got some snow here in Vermont. We had between 6 and 9 inches today, and -- oh look, it's still coming down! :smile:

SO MUCH FUN on the mountain today. Not many people, because most non-locals don't want to drive up in the "nasty" weather, and incredibly enough, some people wait for it to be groomed out. Nothing was groomed today (thank God!), and I took out my new Atomic Centuries, which were fantastic. I'll have to post a review, when I get around to it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that winter is BACK in New England. Let's just hope it sticks around. :snow:

shell nyc

Certified Ski Diva
Woohoo! I was bummed that I couldn't swing driving up last night and the forecast looks iffy for tomorrow but I'm really excited reading reports of so much fresh, natural snow in VT. Early reports of a another storm next week too!
I'm with you, fingers crossed that it sticks around and starts building up.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's awesome, SkiDiva! I'm jea;ous!

We've had a big dump of snow here in Montreal today, too. I don't know the actual accumulation in numbers, but it's up to my knees on the roads.

I sat at my office watching it fall all day and wishing I could be on the ski hill. Unfortunately, even night skiing on days like today is impossible, because the rush hour traffic to get off-island is nightmarish and by the time I got to the hill, it would be nearly closed.

Tomorrow they're saying maybe some snow, maybe some freezing rain (ugh). The soonest I can get to the ski hill would be Saturday, but the temperatures are supposed to drop to minus-20 with a windchill of minus-29... so I'm tentatively planning to go but there's a high likelihood that I'll crap out.

My new goal in life is to live near a ski hill and be a full time ski bum, so I can take advantage of days like today.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, no. It was snowing so hard and I was so occupied with skiing that I didn't take even one. Then again, it might have helped if I had my camera along....:becky:

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the update!! It rained very hard in Boston all day today and I was worried the mountains were being victimized by this too.

What a relief for the ski areas and all of us crazy skiers/boarders!! Yippee!!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great news!

Big Sky only got about three inches (more on the top) Tuesday, but they are predicting snow starting Monday . . . and continuing until Thursday! Hopefully it means that there is a big "system snow" coming: one they can't mess up in predicting and that won't go just a little too far north, or south, or west or . . . . :goodluck:
And since "snow attracts snow" (more snow falls if there is already a snow cover in a given area: fact), maybe it will be the start of something BIG . . . and DEEP! (We need a "fingers crossed" smiley!)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I went outside earlier we had about 4 inches, but they're calling for up to 6" by later tomorrow. I'm hoping to only have to go in to work for about 1-1 1/2 hours tomorrow then head to the mtn to give my Kikus or Sumos a spin. :becky:

abc

Banned
Earlier on, I realized skiing is a weather dependent sport (duh!). I stumbled upon (ok, I hunted it down) a ski specific weather website: snowforecast.com.

I can now say I swear by it, after following it (increasingly) for 2 years. I've had several powder days I never would have thought of, if not prompted by that. And I had also "escaped" quite a few freezing rain and saved hundreds of dollar when the mountainn was nothing but a skating ring.

This coming weekend, I'm heading up to the Whites. There's lively discussion on forums.alpinezone.com which I watch whenever a storm is approaching. Fellow member Winnchill is related with the snowforecast site, and he often gives a summary on alpinezone. I pick the location based on the information from Winn and snowforecast.com.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Earlier on, I realized skiing is a weather dependent sport (duh!). I stumbled upon (ok, I hunted it down) a ski specific weather website: snowforecast.com.

AWESOME site! I didn't even know it existed. Seems to only have updated weather and snow conditions for US hills, but maybe they'll eventually add the Canadian ones.

Wish there was an option to switch to metric, though. Feet, inches and acres send me running for my calculator.

abc

Banned
Wish there was an option to switch to metric, though. Feet, inches and acres send me running for my calculator.
Send them a note. Shouldn't be hard for them to add it.

Until then, use the following rule of thumb:
- 3 feet to a metre (actually 1 ft is ~30cm)
- 1 inch to 2 and half centimeter.

Acres, I haven't the foggiest idea! :(
(actually, I know it's about 4 times of many people's yards but it doesn't really do much for me when it comes to skiable terrain)

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc, haha, I do know the conversions, but it's just not as "visual" to me to see things quoted in feet and inches, if you know what I mean.

Ski Diva, are they predicting more snow for Vermont tomorrow? And are you guys supposed to get that cold snap this weekend, too?

Jilly

Staff member
We've had a big dump of snow here in Montreal today, too. I don't know the actual accumulation in numbers, but it's up to my knees on the roads.

Segacs - Montreal not own any snowplows?? What a mess on 40 and 13. Once we go to 15 and St. Jerome it was better.

But it snowed all the way to Mt. Blanc, then nothing. Tremblant got only flurries. But more today......Off to ski with SkiBam in about 1 hour!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like you and SkiBam are doing the right thing by skiing today. The temp's supposed to drop tonight and it will be bitterly cold all weekend, so it's looking unlikely that I'll actually get to take advantage of any of this snow.

And yeah, the traffic is the pits. It's because of this weird freezing-rain-ice-pellet stuff that's been falling on top of the snow. Fun shovelling out my car this morning.

Have a great day on all that fresh snow! Think of me, stuck in my office, jealous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga