• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: equipment ideas for aging petite skier :)

Mtn Millie

Diva in Training
Hi all you ladies, I've been reading the blogs and enjoying the input! I'd like some help. I'm 5ft, 105#, >65yo, skiing for 50 years, mostly Colorado. I've lost some of my strength and stamina but still love it. I have K2 LottaLuv (153)with integrated bindings, I love skiing on them. They are too heavy for me to carry comfortably, they weigh almost 5 lbs more than my husband's skis which are 14cm longer!? I'm looking for lightweight skis and bindings that will do similar (all mountain, advanced skier, no cliffs) without breaking my back. Any ideas?
I'm thinking about Nordica Belle 88 and either Marker Squire, Rossi 110, or Salomon Z10? Thoughts? Thanks!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Yumis with Marker Squires are a very lightweight setup; although, I'm not a big fan of the Squires. Liked my Rossi Axium Jr. bindings I had on my Kenjas better. The Rossi bindings were also very light.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend, late 50s, probably 125 lbs, advanced, Eastern skier who is hanging on tightly to her Lotta Luvs. Got Yumis 2 years ago and just doesn't like them compares to Lottas. Don't know if you would feel the same?
Me, 64, 120 lb, advanced, Eastern - never skied Lottas but 2 weeks ago demoed Yumis & the Wild Belle (88) back to back and much preferred the Wild Belle - both were 153/4 range - it was soft, almost spring like. Yumi did not seem like enough ski whereas Belle did - both light. Belle more confident & fun but maybe a bit small for me. (I already have the Hells Belles in 162 - wasn't looking to replace, just trying what they had - the Belle 88 was different with the rocker but I liked it.)

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Mtn Millie, where do you usually ski in CO?

Skis have gotten much, much lighter in the past few years. Since you are in Denver and have access within a couple hours to multiple ski areas I highly recommend demoing. There are so many choices now that even two skiers with similar height, weight and abilities may love and dislike the exact same ski.

By going to an on-mountain ski shop with demo skis you can ask the staff are lightweight and would work well for your needs. Even better, you can test several skis firsthand to see which ones put a huge smile on your face and which ones are just okay.

Demo programs can vary in terms of costs, offerings, options, convenience, etc. I'm tagging some CO-based divas who may be able to chime in and help you re: the best places to demo: @bounceswoosh @RachelV @Kimmyt @pinto @Powgirl @BethL

Btw, welcome to the forum!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fwiw, I recently demo'd the Head Absolute Joy, a very lightweight ski. You may want something wider for CO conditions, so the whole Head Joy line is worth asking about since they have a lot of options for different conditions -- and all seem pretty lightweight, but amazingly strong.

Some divas have tried and hated the Joy line skis, and others rave about them. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground, so that's why demoing is especially helpful.

You also might check out levelnine.com to see the weights for skis and bindings they have in their inventory in your range. Level Nine is one of the few equipment sales sites that seem to make it easy to find the weight of ski and bindings. Just choose your ski model, then length, and it will show you the weight and the binding weight (if it is a standalone binding not integrated with a ski system). Even if they don't have the right length in stock for you it's a good way to get a feel for ski weight.

L9 customer service is great, too. If you have a Q about a particular ski or binding you can post it and they will respond.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+ @marzNC in case she has some thoughts. She doesn't live in CO but is petite and favors lightweight skis, and has demo'd several recently.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi all you ladies, I've been reading the blogs and enjoying the input! I'd like some help. I'm 5ft, 105#, >65yo, skiing for 50 years, mostly Colorado. I've lost some of my strength and stamina but still love it. I have K2 LottaLuv (153)with integrated bindings, I love skiing on them. They are too heavy for me to carry comfortably, they weigh almost 5 lbs more than my husband's skis which are 14cm longer!? I'm looking for lightweight skis and bindings that will do similar (all mountain, advanced skier, no cliffs) without breaking my back. Any ideas?
I'm thinking about Nordica Belle 88 and either Marker Squire, Rossi 110, or Salomon Z10? Thoughts? Thanks!
Hello! I'm pretty much in your size range, 5'0", 110 lbs, turned 60 last year, became a solid advanced skier in recent years, not particularly aggressive but not timid either. I had K2 OneLuvs for a few years after starting to ski more regularly in 2006. I know you mean about skis that are heavy to carry in the parking lot.

One reason I was interested in the Head Joy line was that they are very light weight. The integrated binding (comes in the box but not installed) is also light. You might consider the Total Joy for Colorado skiing. I liked them but bought the Absolut Joy because I was looking for skis for the Mid-Atlantic and northeast.

I did a couple runs on the Nordica Belle 88 on soft early season bumps at Sunday River. Enjoyed them.

My all mountain skis have been the Black Pearl (2011) at 159cm. The BP 88 is slightly different for 2017. Also have a BP 78 and BP 98 now (replacing Cheyenne and Samba names).

What I liked at the Alta Demo Day in April 2016 included the Atomic Vantage 90W and the K2 LUV line. But the K2 LUV skis are still on the heavy side in the carry department. The other skis I've like in the 85-90 category are the Rossi Temptation 88 and Dynastar Cham 87. I think the Cham line is going away, but you might be able to find a deal on a used pair. I've also liked the Cham 97 and Cham 107 at Alta after a powder storm.

I'm curious about the new DPS Cassiar 82 Foundation. Have been renting the DPS Nina 99 at Alta for powder days for a few years. Definitely light weight.

As for bindings, I absolutely do not like Marker Squires. Have had them on rental demo skis or free demo day skis. Very hard to get clicked in. The Salomon Z10 is what I have on my BPs. I just bought new all mountain skis and opted to replace the Salomon demo bindings with Look bindings. Don't remember the exact model. (Skis are still out west with a friend.)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi,
Welcome, I'm Denver based. Your best bet is Outdoor Divas demo day at Loveland and Vail. If you don't have a Loveland pass Outdoor Divas will give you a discounted voucher. The next Loveland demo day is Thursday March 2. Here is the website with Vail information. https://www.outdoordivas.com/Events/5040/dept

I'm 5'1, 95 lbs. I have no problem with my Salomon demo bindings. I ski the old version of the Rossi Temptation 88, Rossi Saffron 7 and Savory 7 for powder.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might like the K2 Ooh La Luv...it would be similar to what you have now, but probably lighter...I see alot of ladies skiing K2s, Volkl Yumi and the Head Joys on the slopes in Colorado. I've heard the new Black Pearl is lighter...

It would be great if you can demo!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I totally remember just how heavy those Lotta Luvs were!
The good news is that just about ANYTHING newer is going to be lighter - sometimes shockingly lighter. As in, "Can this really perform?" (Yes.)
Agree with all above about trying for the Loveland demo, just to get a feel. There are so many choices, which is good/bad/confusing? Still, you'll surely find something you love. New K2 line is quite light with the LUV name imbedded), Rossi Temptation ditto, Nordica Belle series is wonderful, Yumi, and, very notably, Head's Joy series. Featherweight.

Bindings. Also consider the Tyrolia Attack series. Which number depends on your DIN. 13's start at DIN 4. 11's are 3-11, I believe. Very, very light, nice bindings.

Good luck and have fun!
And > :welcome:

ETA: I'm a bit taller and heavier than you but totally get the age thing <sigh> (65+)
Fear not - these newer skis will give you a second wind!

Mtn Millie

Diva in Training
Wow! thank you all for taking the time to offer ideas!
I usually ski Copper but have skied all over CO, used to love Vail but hate the parking dilemma...
I'm thinking you're right about demos, good thought, and please keep the ideas coming, I'm really
appreciating the input.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! thank you all for taking the time to offer ideas!
I usually ski Copper but have skied all over CO, used to love Vail but hate the parking dilemma...
I'm thinking you're right about demos, good thought, and please keep the ideas coming, I'm really
appreciating the input.
I just heard that Peak Sports is moving out of Copper. Looks like they are going to have a sale to clear out their stock. They might be worth checking out.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm petite, lightweight, older and ski the Blizzard Samba 152 with marker squire bindings (no issues at all getting in or out b/c they are 2016's which have been fixed - not demo bindings), and the Rossi Saffron 7 162 with salomon z10 ti bindings... Never an issue as have those on my Volkl Kenjas as well. Had the Lotta Luv before Volkl Kenja and could barely carry them at Snowmass up longshot hike....
If I was to buy tomorrow, I would get the Nordica Santa Anas , the new Blizzard Sheeva, or try the 98 Black Pearl...

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, I'm 5'5', 130lbs, 50+, with acl issues (been skiing most of my life).

I love my lotta luvs, I call them my nimble Sherman tanks... However with the integrated bindings, they are sooooo heavy!

I've been skiing the kastle mx with tyrolia bindings for the past couple of years and am super happy with them. They are a great all rounder ski- can go slow and easy if I'm with intermediates or be stable and fast if I'm with a group of more experienced skiers. They are fine in powder (I would probably take a different ski if I knew it was an all out powder day) and in moguls, but I don't seek out bumps any more, except for once in a while just to know I can still do them. I no longer live near a mountain so it's not practical for me to have a quiver of skis.

I just spent a day skiing on/off piste with a group of 'oldies' including two petite women, and they all had Heads, so if I were looking again I'd think very seriously about Heads.

Highly recommend demoing before buying, as different skis have different turning radius, and are more/less forgiving of different techniques. For example, I've never gotten along with atomic, but I know other people who wouldn't ski anything else.
Good luck in your hunt!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga