• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

East Coast Gals, What's The Snow Like?

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since this is such an unusual year I've been wondering what other eastern slopes' conditions are compared to ours. Is this a year where northern latitude makes a difference? Summit height? It would be fun and informative to have our east coasters (including the "lower east" like Mass) post what March is turning out to be.

Gunstock: Central NH below Lake Winnepesaukee. Summit height 2300'. Wednesday morning was a perfect spring ski day--temps warm and snow firm and perfect. By afternoon it was getting sticky, but not thick mashed potatoes. We might get rain today and tomorrow, not good. Before our 8-12" dump last week there was nothing with snow on it that wasn't a designated slope. No extra snow-blown stuff in the woods, on the side, at all. Our conditions have gone from ice at early season to good groomed-man-made by now. I'd say with our base level if we get a couple of warm spring rains I'll be afraid our season will end. The base is just so low. We need temps to stay cold if we're going to keep great conditions to the end. I have only 3 years of snow watching, so let's hope my fears of an early season end are wrong. I do know our conditions are a great deal better than non-local skiers think, and we could use some non-local people coming to ski the slopes. We need "psychology snow" in Mass--if they have snow, they come skiing!

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's raining in Rochester, New York now and Bristol Mountain reported several trails as now closed after temperatures were close to 70 yesterday. Not a good ski outlook.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's raining in Rochester, New York now and Bristol Mountain reported several trails as now closed after temperatures were close to 70 yesterday. Not a good ski outlook.
We had a surprisingly good day Sunday at Mt. Snow. Hard surfaces but no boiler plate, and full coverage. They'd done the best they could with what they had, that's for sure.

dividedsky75

Angel Diva
I was hoping to get one last day in this weekend, but with almost 70 degrees in NJ today, it's not looking good. Elk in PA may get a little snow tomorrow, so we'll see. I'm sure most places are getting pretty slushy in lower NY, PA, etc.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Is this a year where northern latitude makes a difference? Summit height?
Yes. And - yes.
Northern latitudes are colder, summits of higher peaks colder yet. As mentioned in a previous thread just now, it was in the 80's for Easter weekend 2010, AT LATITUDE/ELEVATION here, and we still made it to May 1 (although not skiable to the base). Anything can happen from here on out.

I was skiing in powder last Friday, packed powder on Sunday and Tuesday (Tues the high temp was +15F)(unbelievable)....and now? Who knows. There WILL be a cool down, there MAY even be more snow. I've skied every year here (11) until at least the last week in April, at least 4 times on or after May 1.

Go North, skier! The die-hards are alive and well and skiing at latitude. :becky: At it both weekend days approaching, cooler temps forecast. FLURRIES, even.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. And - yes.
Northern latitudes are colder, summits of higher peaks colder yet. As mentioned in a previous thread just now, it was in the 80's for Easter weekend 2010, AT LATITUDE/ELEVATION here, and we still made it to May 1 (although not skiable to the base). Anything can happen from here on out.
Go North, skier! The die-hards are alive and well and skiing at latitude. :becky: At it both weekend days approaching, cooler temps forecast. FLURRIES, even.

Lol, I was in Maine skiing that Easter weekend. Can we say unseasonably warm? :eek:
A diehard's gotta do what a diehard's gotta do....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
First hints of spring softening this aft at Sugarloaf, from mid-mountain to base. Mid-mountain and above still firm: hard pack, some ice, some wind blow to skier's left side of runs. Natural-snow-only trails pretty much toast. Still plenty of open acreage, still a reasonably durable surface. Everyone (wisely) switched to front side carver skis this weekend.

junedog

Angel Diva
Just returned from 6 days skiing/snowboarding Tremblant and 2 at Stowe. Yes, North is the answer.
Tremblant conditions: all good/fine/go, groomed hard packed snow, mosly granular with very light patches of our beloved North American ice, only one afternoon of rain and "gum" snow. Tremblant was really crowded...I think schools had vacations. Stowe was amazing! Mornings began with a few inches of powdering and the surfaces were smooth and pretty much perfect all morning. By afternoon, the trails were still easy to grip and smooth despite the movement. Stowe was not crowded, wow! Keep the secret.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Skisailor and I skied at Camelback, PA yesterday in great, but somewhat variable, conditions. Most of the mountain was open, and snowmaking occurred on several trails the night before. As noon approached and the temperatures warmed into the 50's, the lower mountain got somewhat sticky, but the upper trails were very good and very fun. Lunch, wine, and great conversation on the deck by the outside bar in the afternoon sunshine was a treat!:becky:

My local hill, Bear Creek, closed yesterday. They had made snow Friday night on 2 trails so conditions on what was open was good. Saturday was the cardboard box races and Sunday was pond skimming. I had a few lessons on Saturday morning and the snow was soft, but not sticky. It was nice that for closing weekend, the weather cooperated with sunshine and warm temperatures.

It's hard to see the season end, but it ended about this time last year, too, despite the heavy early season snowfalls we had last year. Last February temperatures warmed and it rained quite a bit, putting an early end to a snowy season. This year, despite our non-winter, ski areas did an amazing job at keeping the mountains open with decent conditions. There were days I went into work at Bear Creek thinking it would be crappy, and was completely surprised by how nice the snow was.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I can't believe they actually made snow a couple of days before closing, vanhoskier!

Well, MSL, I envy you way up there almost in Canada. Sure hope we get to visit there next year.

Gunstock had had a few days of awesome mornings followed by lightly slushy afternoons, not the super heavy mashed potatoes slushy. However, this week it will not go below freezing day OR night. I've learned in my 3.5 years up north that I know just enough about snow to realize I'll be surprised. I sure hope I'm surprised after this week. If it stays above freezing, how can the snow harden back up?!

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing is over for me, too. Roundtop closed Sunday, and temps in the 60s and 70s all week so barring a snow miracle the season here is over. I just got back from SLC (Canyons, Park City, Deer Valley) so I can't complain and get much sympathy around here.

I'm trying to look at it differently. It's not the end of this season, it's the beginning of next. I plan to be in better shape so I can ski more and ski better next year, so training starts now!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm waiting down here in MA to see what happens to Wachusett (MA) this week. Rain is in the forecast for tonight and some tomorrow.:hurt: Every time I hit the mountain it's like I'm at a different hill. Conditions change daily (hourly!). I really am hoping that they will be able to stay open but getting through the high temps this week will be tough. I am planning on going to Mt Snow (southern VT) on Friday. I hope it's worth taking the kids out of school.

Sami

Certified Ski Diva
We skied at Butternut on Thursday and I was surprised also how good it was, even though the bottom of the mountain was "waterskiing" as my kids called it. But the base was good enough that it was water over snow, not mud. Not sure how long it can hold up to these disturbingly warm temperatures, though. We are going to Jay next weekend and I'm kind of terrified there won't be any snow left anywhere if the predictions of 70 every day for the next two weeks are true.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jack Frost closed on Sunday. I went out with a bang, LITERALLY. my son thought I should do some jumps and I thought, why not…that get your girls out video inspired me! Well, jumps one and two were great…jump three..not so much! my tips landed in the snow and I launched forward..I am ok, but SORE on the right side of my abs. I think I strained some ligaments or something…BUT, it was fun trying. The conditions were OK this weekend, but started getting really grippy on SUnday after lunch. Big Boulder will stay open weekends until 4/1 probably.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe We had 4" of fresh on Saturday at Royal Mt. and great skiing. thankful for Lots of Man made snow so we'll have spring skiing even with this warm weather, off to okemo in the am to see how it is..think I need some fat skis.. maybe a demo tommorrow...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, MSL, I envy you way up there almost in Canada. Sure hope we get to visit there next year.
Me, too - re: the visit part. The "wilderness" part, 37 mi south of the border crossing? Not so much an enviable location. And every ski resort is being negatively impacted (euphemism for "trashed") by this unseasonal weather. What's probably (HOPEFULLY?) going to happen: once the trashing is done, we'll swing back into cold, and it will freeze solid. Sugarloaf will stay alive through its annual music fest weekend after Easter (which is yet another mostly drinking party, not so much skiing, as most come for music and booze). No predictions beyond that.

dividedsky75

Angel Diva
I had a great day at Elk in PA on Saturday. There were some icy patches and some thin spots but I could not complain after the weather we had. Their webcam isn't looking too good now but I'm so glad I finally got there this year. If you live in the NJ/PA and parts of NY area, it's a great alternative to the busy spots in the Catskills and Poconos. The longest line I waited in there was about 5 people deep--including Saturdays and President's Day. The place isn't enormous but they have a nice mix of trails without crowds. They do really nice grooming and snow making there as well.

https://elkskier.com/

Bostongal

Certified Ski Diva
We were at Waterville Valley on Saturday and couldn't complain. Hit some snow falling along then way on the ride up, then the day stayed in the high 30s. Snow was a frozen granular that softened up through the afternoon. Going to Bretton Woods this weekend. That may be our last trip. I still have a couple passes left for Wachusett but doubt it will be open after this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga