• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

East coast carver

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Just curious... you had junior SLs for a bit right? If I'm remembering correctly, b/c I think we had a similar setup of Yumis and junior SLs. Did you swap them for the Super Joy, and if so benefits/cons of either?
Yeah, I did have some jr skis for a while - forget what, and don't know why I switched from them. (I think I've owned more skis than I can remember!) Now I have my Yumis (which I've been on quite a bit this year and still love love love them) and Super Joys, which I also love in hard-packed conditions.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've always wanted to try this ski but have never had a legit excuse to try it since I have the SLs. My only concern was whether or not it would be too stiff for my size/ability level.
I don't find it too stiff at all. I have the 149 which seem perfect for me. Had the 143 for a while but found them a bit less stable at speed so gave them to a granddaughter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've always wanted to try this ski but have never had a legit excuse to try it since I have the SLs. My only concern was whether or not it would be too stiff for my size/ability level.
I gave the SuperJoy a try at the Alta Demo Day last April. The shortest length available was 158cm, which was probably too long. My notes say "carver but more work than the Laser MX." That day I also checked out the Stöckli Laser MX @158 and the Total Joy @158. I liked the Total Joy in soft bumps quite a bit. I liked the Laser MX for carving. No surprised since it's 65 underfoot.

A while back I met a petite senior woman on the lift at Alta who had the SuperJoys. She loved them. Apparently had been working with an instructor at Park City on carving. She was at Alta because there was so much more snow than at Park City that late in the season. She was a speed demon on those skis.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone ever tried the Deacon 79? My instructor had them, and I read up on them and it seems like they are a carver that can also do a little bit of the all-mountain thing. I was also looking at a set of Astral 78 Ti that I found for pretty cheap used. I demo'd the Astral 84 a long time ago and liked them.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a skinny ski I can get that I can practice bump technique AND work a little on carving with. If I had to choose, I'd rather get better in bumps than arc perfect carves every time. I'm planning on demoing, but....the price is right on those Astrals......and I have a spare set of squires......

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Random question: Is there just a tendency for ski reviews to classify narrower skis as being best for lower ability levels? I keep seeing that the skis in the 70s seem to be labeled as "intermediate" skis and the wider versions being labeled as more advanced. I suppose because narrower means it is easier to get on edge?

Jilly

Staff member
Ah, my Rossi Hero's (ST, Ti) are 68 and definitely not an immediate skis. The Hero MT at 74 I would call an advanced immediate ski. It's soft.

The Astral's might work for you for what you're working on.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, my Rossi Hero's (ST, Ti) are 68 and definitely not an immediate skis. The Hero MT at 74 I would call an advanced immediate ski. It's soft.

The Astral's might work for you for what you're working on.
Oops, let me remove my foot from my mouth quick. That makes sense for the race skis. I certainly didn't mean any offense by asking if narrow skis are for lower ability levels! Eek! I apologize if it came off that way.

I was just noticing that for the non-race skis I've been looking at, it seems that if there is a series where they have multiple widths, the narrower skis seem to be generally classified as being friendlier to those of intermediate skill level, whereas the wider ones were more likely to be classified as advanced. Could just be the series that I have looked at though, I've mainly been looking at the big brands' all-mountain and frontside offerings. I certainly don't have the chops for a race ski.

Jilly

Staff member
When I worked in the shop, the beginner skis all seems to be in the 72-76 width. The idea was that they had a wider platform for stability to learn on. There are a lot of the all mountain skis in the 76 range that are being marketed as intermediate. Most are soft and that's why. Especially in the women's lines.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I worked in the shop, the beginner skis all seems to be in the 72-76 width. The idea was that they had a wider platform for stability to learn on. There are a lot of the all mountain skis in the 76 range that are being marketed as intermediate. Most are soft and that's why. Especially in the women's lines.
Oooooh okay, I see. Maybe I need to branch into the men's lines. I'm beyond the point of soft skis, and I prefer stiffer skis with metal. Just need the right blend to target certain skills on this east coast icy mess. I really wish winter would come back.

Jilly

Staff member
That's why a tuned down race ski is the one. Atomic Cloud 11 or 12. Rossi Hero's ST Ti. Head shape series (I'm not up on that manufacturer), Nordica Doberman (SLR), Blizzard Phenix, come to mind. Let me see what's on the instructors at Tremblant this weekend, besides Hero's.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just noticing that for the non-race skis I've been looking at, it seems that if there is a series where they have multiple widths, the narrower skis seem to be generally classified as being friendlier to those of intermediate skill level, whereas the wider ones were more likely to be classified as advanced. Could just be the series that I have looked at though, I've mainly been looking at the big brands' all-mountain and frontside offerings. I certainly don't have the chops for a race ski.
I've found the same thing, which is why I was curious about tuned down race skis or as @tinymoose suggested a Jr slalom ski. I know nothing about the "race type" line ups though. I mean which Racetiger or which Redster or whatever would possibly work for me? I don't even know where to start with those types of skis.
I'm light weight so not necessarily opposed to a one of the "intermediate" skis but I want to be careful not to end up selling myself short either.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I've had both Fischer GS skis and Head SLs, and honestly, outside the SLs being turnier, I can't say I noticed a big difference between the two skis in how they felt/skied. I don't know if most junior race skis all tend to be somewhat similar even across brands? Possibly, if their construction is all fairly similiar? I know I've seen various threads over the years where some brands of junior race skis are mentioned as being stiffer/softer, but not much discussion beyond that as far as differences.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've found the same thing, which is why I was curious about tuned down race skis or as @tinymoose suggested a Jr slalom ski. I know nothing about the "race type" line ups though. I mean which Racetiger or which Redster or whatever would possibly work for me? I don't even know where to start with those types of skis.
I'm light weight so not necessarily opposed to a one of the "intermediate" skis but I want to be careful not to end up selling myself short either.
That's what I'm afraid of too! I don't want to get something that is either not enough for pushing myself, or I will outgrow it quickly.

That being said, I did snag up the Astral 78s for a song. I figured I'd spend what's left of the season on those to work on progressing (or at the very least, maintaining what I learned in the womens' clinic), then demo with the idea of picking something up next season if the Astrals just aren't all I wanted them to be.

I need to learn more about what to look for in a carver and a ski to work on improving in the bumps. The more research I do, looks like those two things are opposite of each other. Gaining improvement in carving ability seems to mean sacrificing bump capabilities, and vice versa. Unless you are an expert, which I am not lol.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what I'm afraid of too! I don't want to get something that is either not enough for pushing myself, or I will outgrow it quickly.

That being said, I did snag up the Astral 78s for a song. I figured I'd spend what's left of the season on those to work on progressing (or at the very least, maintaining what I learned in the womens' clinic), then demo with the idea of picking something up next season if the Astrals just aren't all I wanted them to be.

I need to learn more about what to look for in a carver and a ski to work on improving in the bumps. The more research I do, looks like those two things are opposite of each other. Gaining improvement in carving ability seems to mean sacrificing bump capabilities, and vice versa. Unless you are an expert, which I am not lol.
this may help on your new skis :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga