• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dropping into Corbet's

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is quite a story! Love it! :smile: Makes me want to do it before I turn 30 (1.5 yrs from now). I probably won't be good enough to ski something like Corbet in 1.5 yrs, but might be a good goal to aspire to.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I was at JH, I'd at least take a look at Corbet's. JH is on my bucket list, so hopefully one of these winters I'll get out there.

Like VolklGirl said, the line on skier's left definitely looks do-able. There are a few trails at Taos that I've been down (maybe not "skied", but gotten down!) that are pretty hairy. The trails at Taos aren't obvious like Corbet's. They start out easy-ish, and then by the time you hit the choke, you are committed and can't go back up! At least with Corbet's you get a good look at the chute before deciding. It looks like once you get past the initial drop, it opens up into a nice powdery steep.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now it's hard to imagine jumping off cliffs, I'd kinda like to work my way up to some really little ones....
But Corbet's, Nah, I can't ever imagine doing that.
I almost want to say that certain lines look doable, but I know if I were there in person, there is no way I would go.
:bolt:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost want to say that certain lines look doable, but I know if I were there in person, there is no way I would go.
:bolt:

Why is it that stuff on see on YouTube, I think... oh, that doesn't look so bad or steep! Then I see it in person and I'm like yeeaaahhhhh, er... no.

Efka

Certified Ski Diva
Last season I did Steeep and Deep camp at JH and on the last day our group skied to Corbet's entrance. The instructor and one guy from my group did it by side/down stepping and then dropping. Did not fall. The rest of us (4) said "Don't think so". Visibility was quite poor on that day and that was my excuse. I'd love to do it though. After the first turn it doesn't look too bad. However, those guys on the video were crazy.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forget Skiing it......those guys were launching bad a$$ tricks into it.
I do think I'll ski it someday, conditions and timing permitted, but I will NOT be launching into it with tricks.
Totally agree. Would really like to ski it someday. It's one thing to "drop" into a couloir and another thing to launch it! I don't launch anything. You & me, conditions right...let's do it! :crazy:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I've only ever looked into Corbet's during the summer. When there's no snow in there the cliff is actually inverted! There were rock climbers having a blast climbing up with the rest of us gawkers looking on.

Can't imagine ever skiing something like that, though I think it would be so fun to have the skills and confidence to do it. Maybe in my next life.

Very cool that you dropped in Katy!! But after seeing it in person, I can understand why once is enough. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw a video from some kid on Goat at Stowe on YouTube (his camera was on his helmet), and he seemed all calm and made it look sooo easy. Then he kept stopping to check on his dad, who was somewhere behind him. The few bits you see of his dad, his dad looks terrified and is slowly picking his way down. At least the kid kept encouraging him, "You can do it, dad!" lol Watching the dad was the reality check for me of what Goat is actually like. That is a trail I won't try for a loooooong time.

Sarah_82

Certified Ski Diva
As of now I think I'd probably never do it, but I'd like to think I'll eventually reach a level where I could consider it. I do want to be able to at least do small jumps and cornice drops.

snowdrift

Diva in Training
I love Jackson, and it's cool to watch skiers drop into Corbet's! But definitely not happening for me... I'm not that skilled!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are a few trails at Taos that I've been down (maybe not "skied", but gotten down!) that are pretty hairy. The trails at Taos aren't obvious like Corbet's. They start out easy-ish, and then by the time you hit the choke, you are committed and can't go back up! At least with Corbet's you get a good look at the chute before deciding. It looks like once you get past the initial drop, it opens up into a nice powdery steep.

Hmmm, if I remember correctly, didn't you have to self-arrest at Taos one year?:scared: That was a story!

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that I'm planning it, but if I was going to do it, I think the first few skiers in the video have it right - starting above and having enough speed so that once you hit the entrance you land further down in the couloir. Standing on the edge and jumping in seems like an impossible feat.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that the angle of descent into it can really vary quite a bit depending on what kind of snow year they are having. I think it was a really good snow year both times that DH did it, so it wasn't AS incredibly intimidating?? (And he obviously didn't launch, just slid in.)(But stayed upright!)

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only ever looked into Corbet's during the summer. When there's no snow in there the cliff is actually inverted!

It looks way scarier and gnarlier in summer. Something about about soft white snow covering up the jagged rocks....

amazon_blonde

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
a friend of mine dropped in and blew his acl.

Damn. It wasn't Corbett's, but last January I tore my ACL at JH on Tower Three Chute. JH has a way of inspiring you to make bad decisions.
(I had skied Tower Three the day before. But the snow was really marginal that day and I was tired = bad decision.)

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good lord that looks terrifying.

Yeah, not happening. Amazing what other people are capable of! I'd be terrified to hear the answer to how many horrible accidents occur there. Feel like you should be graded by an instructor on a comparable run before attempting it...or sign a waiver haha.

How does one even prepare for something like that? If I had to just start a run with a mandatory drop I'd have no idea what to do...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga