• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Driving in Heavy Snow: What's your deal-breaker?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, people need to use engine braking!

Windshield wiper fluid - I stopped at a gas station on the way to the mountains on Thursday night, realizing that I had been metering my usage because I was afraid I'd run out. I had an almost-full jug in the car. Don't ask me why I hadn't used it. And eek - I had to use most of the jug to fill up my tank. Anyway, I like to keep a jug in the car, in case I forget to fill up. Which obviously I do.

Also, fill your gas tank when you get a chance. I fill up at the start of every drive, even though I can usually commute most of the rest of the week with the remainder.

I think there are a lot of similarities between driving in snow/ice and skiing. The light touch @ski diva mentioned. Sometimes you drive through some slush or snow that will try to slow you down suddenly, just like skiing into slush or snow will.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hoping I can get my car down our road this morning. Yesterday only 1 of 3 of our cars could make it. I bought some chains and broke the deep snow down with the other car so fingers crossed.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got out in the Fwd this morning super easy. :thumb: The AWD had more trouble simply because you can't turn the traction control off.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have also just barely made it up the hill to MRG before, even with snows, and there are several BC trailheads I would not trust making in a car without AWD.

I couldn't make it up that hill to MRG in a rental a couple years ago. I saw one car in a ditch and after one try, I gave up by letting gravity (intentionally) help me do a 3-point turn.

That is one of the most frustrating things if you are a traveling skier: you have to rent a vehicle. Rental AWD and 4WD vehicles are scarce and you have pay close attention to make sure you're getting one, and who knows what tires are on them.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Feel like I'm on an island this morning. Loveland Pass, I-70 E from Silverthorne to tunnel and Vail Pass are all closed. The only pass open is Hoosier Pass, we think. With all this snow, wind and tough driving conditions the local schools only had a 2 hour delay.

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
I'm supposed to be heading up tomorrow for Women's Wednesday at Copper! I'm not liking the reports that I am seeing! This might be my limit....don't know that it's worth risking it!! :scared:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm supposed to be heading up tomorrow for Women's Wednesday at Copper! I'm not liking the reports that I am seeing! This might be my limit....don't know that it's worth risking it!! :scared:

The snow situation looks *much* different by tomorrow, according to opensnow. Of course that's assuming Joel isn't as wrong as he was for Saturday.

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
The snow situation looks *much* different by tomorrow, according to opensnow. Of course that's assuming Joel isn't as wrong as he was for Saturday.
Wouldn't be the first time they ALL have been wrong!! They said there was supposed to be a lull today and then pick back up tomorrow into tomorrow night....hmmm

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wouldn't be the first time they ALL have been wrong!! They said there was supposed to be a lull today and then pick back up tomorrow into tomorrow night....hmmm

Yeah, but since I started following opensnow, I've never seen him be this wrong. I expect he'll send out an email with an analysis.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have snow tires on my AWD Sienna and it's the only way I'll do it. 2 years ago driving from MI to Snowshoe, WVA was nailbiting awful. We cut our drive short due to blizzard conditions and saw pile ups all along the hwy. Later that evening heard about multiple deaths. Regret that we were even on the hwy.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't make it up that hill to MRG in a rental a couple years ago. I saw one car in a ditch and after one try, I gave up by letting gravity (intentionally) help me do a 3-point turn.

That is one of the most frustrating things if you are a traveling skier: you have to rent a vehicle. Rental AWD and 4WD vehicles are scarce and you have pay close attention to make sure you're getting one, and who knows what tires are on them.

^^^^THIS!! When we took out trip to Fernie/Nelson a couple of years ago, I CALLED the rental place and even had to arrange a rental through Hertz to ensure we had an AWD SUV. You can't always tell when you sign up, and there was no way I was going to drive the Powdah Highway without AWD. As it was, we ended up driving through a storm, and I was grateful for the extra traction.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think people who have never driven a manual transmission don't even remember the idea of a lower gear. It doesn't come naturally if all you've ever done is put it in Drive and go.

We had a two-hour delay yesterday at school because of icy roads. Chatting with students before class about how sketchy the roads still were, a couple of them mentioned seeing cars fishtailing and how nervous they'd been driving in. So I asked them if they knew how to engine brake by shifting into a low gear. Crickets. One girl said "I can't do that, I drive an automatic." Pretty shocked that they don't teach that in driver's ed. (I did explain it to them and encourage them to practice).

Christy

Angel Diva
Looking at the highway cams this morning I realized that when I can't see pavement on interstate or major highway, that is a dealbreaker.

Screenshot_2017-02-05-10-29-14.png Screenshot_2017-02-05-10-26-25.png

newboots

Angel Diva
I would drive that, if only all those other people would stay off the road. Comes from living in Vermont and teaching - they rarely cancelled school and you had to get there! But slowly. Very slowly.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took me 45 minutes to do my normal 16 minute drive to the ski area this AM. The first three miles of winding downhill road were not plowed and had eight inches of fresh.

Somehow it's hard to feel sorry for you ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna