• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does these skis make my ass look fast?

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Life has been crazy, not in an " I-use-Crayola-markers-for-makeup" kind of way, but crazy nonetheless. Thankfully however, I’m blessed with great friends who know exactly when to stage an intervention. Enter this year’s ski trip; but, before I can tell you that part of the story, I have to tell you this part first.

Growing up, I was lucky enough to spend my summers in Virginia horse country at my Aunt and Uncle’s house. And, while it’s true that I never learned to ride, I did learn that my grandmother raised her daughters who raised their daughters the right way: Never rely on a husband or a trust fund, because you never know when either one might run out. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I could have been a trophy wife. It just wasn’t in the cards. I love doughnuts, I hate doctors, and I’m a complete misanthrope. Other than that, I’d have totally nailed it.

In any case, the point is that, like everyone in that part of the world, my cousins had horses and rode competitively. They did dressage, but some of their friends did cross-country and show jumping, and some of them did all three, which is also known as eventing. If you’ve never seen it, you should. It’s basically the equestrian world’s equivalent of a triathlon. Personally, I can’t figure out how they do it. I can barely master a horse that eats quarters instead of hay and goes in circles… electronically. But I love the idea of riding, especially three-day evening because they actually say things like, “my comfort zone is crotch height.” Yes, really. It allows them to use their bodies as human tape measures when gauging a jump.

Now, just to make sure we’re on the same page, God help all of us if I ever decide to take up that sport; because, at forty-two, I’m pretty sure boob height is rapidly approaching crotch height, and no one wants to have that conversation with me, especially at a competition sponsored by Rolex. Seriously. You should simply trust me when I tell you that would be out of everyone’s comfort zone, particularly since I’m not above using hand gestures if I feel like there’s ambiguity and my safety is on the line.

Anyway, I also love that eventers will tell you they do it, “three ways in three days.” Otherwise stated, they do one event each day: dressage, cross-country and show jumping. So what does all of that have to do with this thread? Well, nothing and everything, so stay with me. We’re almost there.

You see, every year I take a ski trip out west; and this time, since it was just my best friend (TB) and me, we decided to get multi-mountain passes for Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Breckenridge. The idea was to hit Keystone’s Outback and do some tree skiing on day one, head over to A Basin on day two for Pallavicini, and then wrap up with a day of moguls off the South Side of Peak 10 at Breck. Three days. Three ways: Trees, pitch and bumps.

Honestly though, for two women in their forties, I would tell you that we held our own… OK, that's a lie. TB held her own because she stills run marathons. Given that I only run my mouth and errands, on the last day, my legs were simply shot. But, because I'm an idiot, I agreed to head over to Peak 9, which has extremely tight ungroomed mogul runs, and it was a mistake.

So, there we are... on a run called Devil’s Crotch… and I’m looking more like something from Rosemary’s Baby than Warren Miller… when I hear TB say, “Stop fighting the mountain and start working with it.” Which, in her defense, is very Zen; but, in my defense, may not be altogether accurate… because I feel like I’d be a biter and a hair-puller in a fight (I have no empirical evidence to support this theory, but I’m pretty sure I’m right)... and I decide, “You know what, I’ll do it.” So I sit into it… and I’m hauling… and it feels really good… until I hit the biggest mogul of my life… and it hits me right back.

I *might* have peed myself, but I’m not really sure, since I don’t actually know how long I laid there, but I can tell you this: When you come to, and your ass is near your armpit, you’re not only out of your comfort zone in any sport, you’re out of your league. On the up-note, when I got home and called my mother to tell her about the trip, she said, “At least the only thing that died was your dignity.”

Next year, I'm actually going to get in shape for ski season. I hope everyone's having a great season!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fantastic! You can tell me a story any day!

If you're back in that area, Inferno is, I think, a little more fun and approachable than Devil's Crotch. But all of those E Chair runs have a gnarly entrance, except for Tom's Baby, which has a gnarly everything else.

On the rest of Peak 9, the bumps on the left side of American are very real bumps on a much more mellow slope. And on Peak 10, Corsair and friends are kind of in between the two - more defined bumps but much less pitch than Inferno.

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Fantastic! You can tell me a story any day!

If you're back in that area, Inferno is, I think, a little more fun and approachable than Devil's Crotch. But all of those E Chair runs have a gnarly entrance, except for Tom's Baby, which has a gnarly everything else.

On the rest of Peak 9, the bumps on the left side of American are very real bumps on a much more mellow slope. And on Peak 10, Corsair and friends are kind of in between the two - more defined bumps but much less pitch than Inferno.

hi bouceswoosh - Where you have been all my life? When I showed this to TB, we agreed that we would DEFINITELY use skidiva next year to plan our trip. This is EXACTLY the intel we needed. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Also, how do you stay in shape so you ski Peak 9 and Peak 10? Seriously, by day three, my legs were just shot this year; and, for the first time in my life, I couldn't will my skis into compliance.

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Fantastic writing for sure. I enjoyed the story and I'm glad you are alright.
hi mustski - Thank you :smile: I really appreciate the kind words. I'm glad I'm alright, too. Thank heavens for helmets. TB said that I looked like the "Agony of Defeat" guy from the old Wide World of Sports. Yes. Really.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi bouceswoosh - Where you have been all my life? When I showed this to TB, we agreed that we would DEFINITELY use skidiva next year to plan our trip. This is EXACTLY the intel we needed. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Also, how do you stay in shape so you ski Peak 9 and Peak 10? Seriously, by day three, my legs were just shot this year; and, for the first time in my life, I couldn't will my skis into compliance.

Where have I been? Well, for the last five years, I've been skiing Breck! So I come by my knowledge honestly. I don't know anything that detailed about other mountains. But there are other Divas here just as knowledgeable about other areas, of course.

Hm ... getting in shape ... yeah, about that. Day three is traditionally the day where I discover my limitations by either narrowly avoiding, or actually hitting, a tree. I'm lucky enough to live in the Front Range, so I am mostly a weekend warrior. Day two is bad enough. Day three is an act of will. I can ski, but I don't have the control to ski trees safely. Many of the people I ski with on the weekends ski 5-7 days a week. I don't know how they do it. I guess they get acclimated in the early season, when the snow is all groomed manmade and they can build up miles.

During the week, I usually do some fairly intense yoga and also a day of getting personally trained at the gym. This season, I was skiing so many three day weekends (such a rough life) that I had to use the rest of the week just to rest and do laundry. Oh, and actually go to work, of course ...

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Where have I been? Well, for the last five years, I've been skiing Breck! So I come by my knowledge honestly. I don't know anything that detailed about other mountains. But there are other Divas here just as knowledgeable about other areas, of course.

Hm ... getting in shape ... yeah, about that. Day three is traditionally the day where I discover my limitations by either narrowly avoiding, or actually hitting, a tree. I'm lucky enough to live in the Front Range, so I am mostly a weekend warrior. Day two is bad enough. Day three is an act of will. I can ski, but I don't have the control to ski trees safely. Many of the people I ski with on the weekends ski 5-7 days a week. I don't know how they do it. I guess they get acclimated in the early season, when the snow is all groomed manmade and they can build up miles.

During the week, I usually do some fairly intense yoga and also a day of getting personally trained at the gym. This season, I was skiing so many three day weekends (such a rough life) that I had to use the rest of the week just to rest and do laundry. Oh, and actually go to work, of course ...

hey bounceswoosh - That's awesome! I totally covet your back yard, your stamina and your tree skiing prowess. I'm not sure what mountains we'll do next year; but, if we do Breck again, I'll DEFINITELY take your advice (thank you again). And, even if we don't, we'll definitely leverage skidiva to plan our trip. As for day three, I'm glad I'm not alone. Honestly, for the first time in my life, I could not will my body to push through the fatigue. It was that whole, "the mind may be willing but the body was incapable" thing. Sad but true. Maybe next season I'll have more common sense than enthusiasm (all the way around). I'll actually get back into shape before we go (that's a lie) and play it smart once we get there (that's also a lie). I want to. I really do. I have all of the best intentions. I even tell myself, "Put the iPad down, back away from the Netflix and no one gets hurt." But I'm a sloth by nature (albeit a very cynical one), and I'm easily swayed by a doughnut and a documentary. Yes. Really. And then I get out West and get on the slopes and I'm like a squirrel on Jolt. I wanna do ALL of it. I call this my, "being delusional stage" of the trip. Regrettably, I suffer from some crazy combination of deja vu and Attention Deficit Disorder, so I never remember until it's too late. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR INTEL. It really is most appreciated.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
great story and I LOVE the title!

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your story made my day :smile:.

I read the title of this thread and it reminded me of the last day of beer league at my local hill. I'm wearing my speed suit, which I can confidently say makes my a$$ look big, kicking out of the gate in the worst snow ever and nearly breaking my leg after getting thrown going around the third gate. At least it was, officially, my only DNF of the entire season! Like you, the only thing that died, or was broken, was my dignity.

Cheers!

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Your story made my day :smile:.

I read the title of this thread and it reminded me of the last day of beer league at my local hill. I'm wearing my speed suit, which I can confidently say makes my a$$ look big, kicking out of the gate in the worst snow ever and nearly breaking my leg after getting thrown going around the third gate. At least it was, officially, my only DNF of the entire season! Like you, the only thing that died, or was broken, was my dignity.

Cheers!

OMG. One, I'm glad you're OK. Two, if you're racing, odds are VERY good that you're in GREAT shape. That said, those suits are truly horrid. I was on ski team in grade school, high school and college, and I used to wear shorts over them (until it was my turn to ski). About your dignity, I get it :smile: I literally laid on the slope like one of those crime scenes where the victim is drawn in yellow tape. There was NOOOOO pride on that final run. None.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga