• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear makeup when you ski?

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
no makeup.
helmet hides gray hair but makeup wouldn't hide my wrinkles.

i've earned every wrinkle and gray hair...
But I have to laugh when I have goggles and neck gaiter (for warmth, but it hides the wattles!)--with my ponytail hanging out back...and some young snowboarder dude strikes up a conversation that clearly doesn't recognize our age difference. I always want to say "dude, i'm your grandmother's age...":laugh:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, in January (the only cold we had the year) I was pretty swaddled and some really really handsome guy on the chair wanted to ski with me... I know it's nuts, but it creeped me out and I blew him off. He was at LEAST 20 years younger if not more like 25 years younger. My only thought was he must be an axe murderer.....

Mafia_Princess

Certified Ski Diva
In previous years I haven't worn make up while skiing. This year I sadly supervise at my ski hill more than I get to ski so I have been wearing it. (Don't want to scare angry parents and make them more angry ;))

I wore make up out of habit on course. First 4 days were fine. Today my eyes kept watering. I didn't end up like a raccoon but the thought crossed my mind that that was where I was headed lol.

GotSnow?

Certified Ski Diva
Makeup is a must for those single ladies! Never know who you'll meet on the slopes!! PS. I hear Jackson Hole, WY is the place to be for man fishing! Its one of the harder mountains in the US and caters to more advanced skiiers, so there are tons of guys there!!

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
physical sunscreen

Thought I'd post a follow-up on physical sunscreen (I had posted earlier that my lips are super sensitive and someone had suggested a physical sunscreen like the X-balm). I couldn't find the x-balm in the sporting goods stores at my home mountain, but they suggested the Z-tote by Dermatone, which is like a transparant zinc. It worked! No reactions, I'm so happy!!:clap: Thank you, Divas!! :thumbsup:

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, in January (the only cold we had the year) I was pretty swaddled and some really really handsome guy on the chair wanted to ski with me... I know it's nuts, but it creeped me out and I blew him off. He was at LEAST 20 years younger if not more like 25 years younger. My only thought was he must be an axe murderer.....

Heh....don't pass him by too quickly. Some of the young ones like girls our age, especially if we ski!:cool:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thought I'd post a follow-up on physical sunscreen (I had posted earlier that my lips are super sensitive and someone had suggested a physical sunscreen like the X-balm). I couldn't find the x-balm in the sporting goods stores at my home mountain, but they suggested the Z-tote by Dermatone, which is like a transparant zinc. It worked! No reactions, I'm so happy!!:clap: Thank you, Divas!! :thumbsup:
Glad you found something that worked. We are now quickly getting to that time of year when the sun is higher and the ultraviolet is getting serious. Look for sunscreens with TITANIUM DIOXIDE or ZINC OXIDE. These are physical sunscreens that actually STOP the UV rays before they hit your skin. Many are tinted to prevent that "whitish" look. I also don't get along well with chemical sunscreens like avobenzone, so it's label-reading for me.

Also: in the sun, whether skiing or other, always wear eye protection!! Ultraviolet radiation is now shown to be a major instigator of cataracts. If you don't have goggles with darker lenses, it's a worthwhile investment: either lenses to change out or another pair altogether. Makes a HUGE difference on a super-sunny day, not only for your visibility but your eye health as well. (% of admitted light through lens)

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like maybe since I was by myself he thought I needed help spending all my money? I distrust men who are too good looking for some reason. Especially when they lay on the charm. After 58 years, I'm a cynic of major standing.

I ski with lots of younger guys (older ones, too)....they never asked for any money (or anything else for that matter). If they did, I guess I'd just say, "No." I did keep a favorite beer on hand for one who was particularly charming, but he really never drank that much of it. :loco: BUT, intuition is a good thing....if you didn't feel comfortable around this guy, it was probably for good reason. Makeup or no.....

mollmeister

Angel Diva
You guys turned me into a make-up wearer this season!

:eyebrows:

Still not much, because I feel like it all ends up coming off eventually, but a pale shade of some of that *all day* type lipstick MSL recommended (with some Dermatone on top) and MASCARA of all things. After altagirl wrote her feelings on mascara, I realized how much better my fair self looks with visible lashes. Still haven't found the perfect skiing formulation, but I am wearing it!
:eek: :becky:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to bump this topic, just to chip in!

I NEVER wear make up skiing! I did once when I was 16 and it ended up all down my face. Waste of time and effort, and it looks a bit daft. There was a woman in the lift queue in Austria a couple of years ago with a full face on, and I mean LOADS of make-up - she looked silly! She couldn't have been going much further than the bar.

I do dye my eyelashes before a ski holiday though! Just so I look slightly less of a monster. It's great because it can't wipe off.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear tinted moisturizer w/SPF 30, and just a little bit of waterproof mascara. I pack tinted lip balm for apres, but carry Chapstick or other balm in my ski jacket. Since I breathe through both my nose and mouth I use a lot of lip balm.

I've seen gals with LOTS of makeup on - not skiers so much as boarders, particularly in SoCal. They are at least 25 years younger than me and likely single so I'm sure they want to look their best. Me, I just want to ski my best - not worry about makeup.

altagirl

Staff member
I do dye my eyelashes before a ski holiday though! Just so I look slightly less of a monster. It's great because it can't wipe off.

I was just going to say that dyeing my eyelashes is about the same as wearing mascara with no chance of it rubbing off.... I love it when I get around to going to a salon and having it done...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had my lashes tinted for a while and loved it; I think I stopped because the woman who did it for me moved away. My lashes aren't thick enough to look strange if they're a little dark, so it's just enough to add a little to my eyes. It's one of the biggest-bang-for-my-buck things I can do cosmetically. My eyes are very sensitive, so wearing mascara is just asking for trouble.

I've decided to go back to the very expensive but nice layered-foil-thing my Aveda guy was doing for me. I stopped this summer in the midst of my financial panic-attack, but I'm not loving the mousey half-light-brown-half-grey right now. He leaves about half the grey in it; it lets me look my age while keeping me from fading into the background. I don't mind the wrinkles so much (OK, the wattles are starting to come, but what can you do?), but being colorless too is a bit much.

So it's not like I'm not vain or anything--I just don't wear makeup. :cool:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunscreen's a must. Tinted lip balm* or gloss over chapstick. And sometimes I wear mascara & eyebrow pencil in recent years (as I've aged, that is to say), although it seems like a waste of time because I wear a helmet & goggles.

I love the look of sunglasses when it's sunny but when the wind gets up in there, my eyes tear too much with the contacts, so I stick to goggles.

*Current favorite is a brand called Yes To Carrots lip tint, which I found at Target. Watch it be discontinued now that I said this.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So some questions about eyelash tinting, as this seems to be a good option for me: is it safe to get done with contacts in? How does it work? And how do you know if someone has done a good job vs. a bad job? Anyone want to describe this to me, or PM me?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
P - FYI, I believe this is largely illegal in this country, due to liability issues. I have inquired about eyebrows and was told this. I'm not sure if it's a state-regulated deal, but I'll guess that's the case. Anyway, it's next to impossible to find a place that does this, and one that does may be doing it "in the back room?" :noidea: Best advice would be to make a couple of calls around, as this is likely a state regulation as to legality.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna