• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear makeup when you ski?

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes, if I know I won't have my sunglasses or goggles on for a period of time, I'll add a bit of Kiss Me purple mascara.

Oh my--I had to go look this up and now I want some! It would coordinate perfectly with my coat.:smile:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my--I had to go look this up and now I want some! It would coordinate perfectly with my coat.:smile:

I love this mascara. It's the first one that I can actually wear!! It doesn't irritate my eyes, doesn't bug my contacts, and it really doesn't wear off. It's pretty bulletproof. It is a little freaky the first time you take it off: you remove it with warm water and using your fingers to pull off the tubes. You think about accidentally taking off your lashes, but it doesn't happen. I'm still lash-full. The purple isn't a screaming noticeable color, but it for some reason it makes my eyes pop more than the usual black or black/brown.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
for some reason it makes my eyes pop more than the usual black or black/brown.

Do you have green eyes? This colour makes them look great.

I'd wear makeup to even out my skin tone, pale skin that has bright red patches in the cold, but I love to snuggle into my gaiter. I loathe seeing a tidemark of makeup on collars, and can't figure out how to keep it all in the right place.

Beware tinted balms - last year I applied chapstick in Starbucks, and when I got home a few hours later saw that I had brightly coloured goo all around my mouth. I wiped it off with a tissue and came out of the bathroom laughing. My (male) friend wanted to why, and when I told him he said "you had a mouth like a clown's all afternoon, you scared the lady in Starbucks".

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No green eyes, just brown.
I have several different shades of purple in pencil and liquid form. I'm not sure how I ended up with purple, but it seems to be my color.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Makeup, for me, is part of my skin protection regimen on the slopes. I have known women who are lifetime skiers, but never used cosmetics. Their faces age prematurely. Sometmes, when we are young, we don't think about this, but look around the lodges during breaks and you will see faces that are much more lined than they need to be. Now, you may not mind the lines. Some women don't. I'm a bit more vain.

I start with a protective serum, then apply a winter moisturizer that has sun protection. I use a much thicker and creamier moisturizer on a ski day than general wear. After the moisturizer soaks in, I use Shiseido sun protection makeup foundation (SPF42) and a little cream-based blush. On top of that, I apply Shiseido 55 SPF sunscreen. This all sounds like a lot, but once it soaks in, it protects my skin all day and doesn't look at all caked on. Also, Shiseido is very light and pure; I don't get breakouts or feel greasy. I never have a sun or windburned face, regardless of the weather. I am 56 and, despite 25+ years of skiing, I still have good skin. :dance:

I do apply eye makeup as well, though I don't use eyeliners because of the potential for raccoon eyes, as mentioned earlier. Again, using cream eye makeup tends to have more of a protective advantage.

I have my routine down to less than 15 minutes.

I have extremely oily skin so I use an oil free moisturizer that has an spf30 when I ski.
If its an extremely sun burn risk day I'll use the oil free Aveno spf 70.

I find that I really don't like stuff on my face.
After reading the wealth of information that Suzie posted and fighting a resurgence of adult onset acne, I decided to experiment with some mineral makeup and see if that helped my oily skin.
I ended up getting a few samples at the local natural food store and ended up going back to buy some.
In three weeks of using this on my face, which takes just a few seconds to apply after my normal oil free moisturizer, I have no new acne and my old acne spots seem to be clearing up.
An added benefit is that the mineral makeup is a powder so my face stays relatively oil free compared to what I usually experience.

Thank you Suzie!

violetx3g3

Certified Ski Diva
I don't bother with make up just lip protection, but my 3 daughters 21-13 all do and I think it's funny when I see them during breaks with the black smudges under their eyes, super red faces from the wind, helmet hair all over, it's a sight to see. My daughters friend often joined us on trips during high school, she showered, blow dried and styled her hair before snowboarding, and going to the beach in Hawaii to body surf (she was 16 at the time), my girls just shrugged their shoulders and smiled. What is the point?

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
One more for wearing make-up!

Like SZC, I've been a huge fan of Shiseido's sun protection foundation for over 15 years. I wear it everyday, whether I'm just going to work, or a major dress-up event, or mountain biking, or backpacking, or skiing. It's an awesome foundation in addition to the high SPF. Never had an issue with sun burn on all my outdoor activities. Heck, I even wore it on my wedding day, :smile:

Here's my current (caveat below) skincare/make-up routine:
Eye cream, day cream with SPF, Shiseido foundation, blush, powder and mascara. Either lipbalm/lipgloss or lipstick (no SPF on my lips, they irrate me, so I've found colored lipstick helps).

One caveat, though. I'm cheating now because my eyebrows and eyeliners are permanently tattoo'd, :redface: Years ago, I saw a picture of me and DH after a day of mountain biking, and I had no eyebrows! My eyes were also lost on my face... So permanent make-up to the rescue! Saves me so much time in the morning now, :D

I braid my long hair into two braids so no helmet hair issue either, :smile:

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
It looks just as if I had shaded my brows in with either powder or pencil. The actual brows (hair) are still there. People can't tell, even after I tell them they are tattoos. They don't smudge and actually make tweezing a lot easier - the shapes are there already!:smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
...no SPF on my lips, they irrate me...
Chemical sunscreens, like avobenzone/oxybenzone, can be irritating to some, in which case physical sunscreens (titanium/other oxide) are less irritating, if at all. XBalm is one with physical/barrier sunscreen. But protection is a pretty good idea:

"Why Your Lips Are More Vulnerable To Sun Damage

There are 2 main reasons why your lips are more vulnerable to sun damage than most of your body. First, the skin on your lips is very thin and vulnerable. And unlike the skin across your body, your lips don’t contain much melanin (skin pigment). When UVB rays shower your skin, your skin produces melanin for protection. Your lips aren’t able to do this effectively. So, while your body may tan, you lips can burn and peel.

The second reason your lips are especially prone to sun damage is the fact that they’re always exposed. You can easily cover the rest of your body when you’re in the sun. You can even cover your eyes and head. But, your lips remain exposed. All year round, your lips bask in the sun’s rays. And while the effects of UVB rays may lessen during the months that are cooler, UVA rays are powerful throughout the year."
(source: https://blog.pharmacymix.com/best-sun-protection-for-lips)

Alas, I found all this out the hard way and have the scar on my upper lip as proof....

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
Yup. I wear a little bit of eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. I make no apologies for it. I'm 52 years old and I know I look better with a little bit of accent on my eyes.

I'm no diva and no ski bunny. I skied in a fierce wind today. I ski blacks and double blacks with my kids who are 20-something and way better skiers than I'll ever be.

I like make-up. : - )

Allie

Certified Ski Diva
make-up is not a bad thing when it acts as a sunblock

I and at least 4 of my girlfriends have had some form of skin cancer. Mine was at the temple. Years of hard core biking and wind-surfing. I have always worn a 20SPF or greater non-paba sunblock as I have a higher than normal sun sensitivity. Sweat and water removes sunblock however and cancer is cancer; it can strike anyone. One of my girlfriends had it at the tip of her nose. She is a blond nordic type, former model. Vanity brought her to do a laser peel which is how they discovered the cancer. Her cancer was more invasive than the type I had. They removed the tip of her nose. They told her she was incredibly lucky as if she had not had the laser treatment she would have lost her entire nose and possibly her life is she had waited until the cancer came to the surface on its own. My other girlfriends were shake and bake girls. Both had skin cancer on their backs/arms/chest and face. All three girlfriends have had repeat skin cancer incidents. I, knock wood, have not.

I always wear a sunblock, plus mineral make-up with sunblock, lipstick with sunblock and sunglasses or goggles. I have not had a skin cancer repeat but get checked head to foot every year. Even if skin cancer was not an issue I would still do the same routine. I want my skin to look as good at 60 as does now at the cusp of 40 without the use of a C02 laser burning it off. Giving up outdoor activities has never been an option.

Allie

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't say sunscreen because I don't consider sunscreen to be part of my makeup. It's just a basic part of my everyday routine, like brushing my teeth and washing my face. I'm a fanatic about wearing my sunscreen everyday. I never have anything less than SPF 30, usually SPF 50, and SPF 75 when I'm working outside at the resort. I'm always asking my co-workers if they put on sunscreen - if not, I always carry a bottle of SPF 50 and I make them go put some on. I'll ask guests if they have their sunscreen when they come to me to get their tickets scanned. If they don't I tell them where they can buy some on the hill.
I had a good friend die from melanoma at 50. He was a redhead. He was a marathoner, so he was always outside running. After his first diagnosis, he added sunscreen, but kept forgetting to put on a hat. His death was not fast and painless - it was awful to see him deteriorate. It's also not fun to go to a "goodbye" picnic for a friend - he wanted to be sure he had a chance to say goodbye to everyone.
So, I'm a bit militant about the issue. Sunscreen first, everything else AFTER that is makeup!

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
Blonde, blue-eyed, Celtic heritage, a dad who had basal cell carcinoma and sister who's had two bouts of melanoma, so yes, sunscreen. That's a given.

However the makeup vs. no-makeup thing reminds of the working-mom vs. stay-at-home mom issue.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mascara, lip gloss and a big slather of Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 70 with Helioplex or La Roche Posay Helioplex spf 70 (when I can afford it).

Has anyone considered what the cold temps at high speeds is doing to our faces? Sheesh, I don't want to think about it. I don't want to think about all the time I spent on the beach as a teenager with baby oil on to tan either...:fear:

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't wear make-up. Period.
When I met my husband long ago, i had some mascara lighly on. He took one look at me and said, "Don't wear makeup. You don't need it" (!)
I. married. him.

Truly, it's too much work. I don't shave my legs either--last woman on the planet!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Truly, it's too much work. I don't shave my legs either--last woman on the planet!
Actually, I only shave mine like every other month during the non-summer months. My excuse in the winter is, it's another layer... I only shave in the summer if it's warm enough for shorts and as I get older there is less area that needs shaving oddly enough. I noticed that the ski boot area for some reason no longer grows hair? I must be fastening too tightly?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna