• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear makeup when you ski?

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is he single? :eyebrows:

Yes, but he's currently living in Amsterdam. Otherwise, I'd totally introduce you! And he's a triathlete too!! He's done Buffalo Creek long course and the London Oly (along with some others).

Sorry, done hijacking thread...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was young and in my hippie phase, I was down on makeup....never wore it. Thought it was unnecessary....and in those days, it probably was...heh. I wear it all the time now, but very carefully. I am 56; this picture was take a few weeks ago and I was fully made up - but not obviously. Are we beautiful Divas without makeup? Hell, yeah. But I still stand by the protective benefits...

maineskilady...thanks. I posted the pic only to show that my method actually works...if, at Apres Ski, no one can tell by my face I've been skiing all day, I feel I did a good job of protecting my skin. Like altagirl, I only wear a mask during bad weather. Even then, I don't think it would be enough for my particular ski type. Moisterizers, etal, do add overhead costs, but even cheap moisturizers work fairly well. Each to her own, though. I wish my skin were robust enough to go without.....
Thanks for posting your pic and added information. Like you, I believe a lot of this has to do with skin type and daily practices for skin care.
You definitely have a good regiment which your skin will thank you for.

As for some women being on the slopes just for appearances....don't see why a girl can't ski good AND look good!

This made me chuckle, mostly because of the story I told earlier in this thread.
Its great for women to ski good and look good, but there are some who obviously hit the slopes with different motivation than the likes of the average ski diva.
We are(as a friend on EpicSki describes) the lunatic fringe.........and I love it!

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I generally don't wear makeup, except lip gloss or lipstick. I do however wear a tinted moisurizer when skiing on cold dry days, and lip gloss.

I suppose eye makeup could be used to help with light ( the same way football players use dark makeup under their eyes) in certain kinds of light. It might be something to experiment with.

Tamlyn
Gravity Girl

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone remember when Sugarbush was known as Mascara Mtn in the 60's/70's ???? (or do I have that wrong??)
No makeup for me, unless it's a little leftover barely there eyeliner when I'm feeling the need the day/night before in the non-skiing world (fading away in my 50's).
The girls I ski with are proud of our helmet hair, or pop on a hat.

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Between goggles, neck gaiters, hats, and helmets, you can't really see much of my face/hair. But since skin cancer runs in the family, lots of sunblock goes on, and since you CAN see my eyes, I'll dab on some industrial-strength waterproof mascara so I look almost human while booting up. I never look human at day's end.

wpsally

Certified Ski Diva
I have the same makeup routine every day whether I'm skiing or not:

moisturizer with SPF45
powder foundation with SPF 25
blush
eyeliner
mascara

For a special day, lipstick, otherwise lip balm or clear gloss.

My one exception is if I'm know I'm going to have a really active day that could involve a sweaty face (which given where I live is about 2 days a year because it's rarely that hot) and then I'll skip the foundation.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tried various makeup approaches. As a mountain host, I like to look good. No matter what I do, once I hit the hill, it's either sun, wind, wet, snot drip (sorry)--what goes on my face in the a.m. is gone or not fulfilling its intended mission to make me look attractive.

I use moisturizer tint (lancome with spf) with a bit of sunscreen on top before hitting the mountain---that's it. Because nothing else stays on my face.

And the helmet wrecks the hair, no matter what. So I'm growing my longer so I can pull it back/up when the helmet goes off.

Having had 2nd degree burns on my face in my 20's (a March Alta day before sunblock was a staple) I try to protect my face, and last year got a neutrogena stick (like deodorant) that I can smear on my nose on the hill (cuz my nose is the most exposed part of my face no matter what I do).

I feel that after a hard day of skiing, my face just glows (wind/sun burn).

altagirl

Staff member
That's my solution for helmet hair - keep my hair long enough that when I'm done I can take it out of the braids and put it up in a ponytail/knot. Not that I look fantastic or anything, but it gets rid of the matted down look/feel.

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
No makeup when i ski - unless dermatone counts! But then again, at best I wear some shiney chapstick on a "dress up day". Keep my hair in a single braid - and then hide it under a fun hat when im done :smile:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suppose eye makeup could be used to help with light ( the same way football players use dark makeup under their eyes) in certain kinds of light. It might be something to experiment with.

that's a good one! when you took your goggles off everyone would say, "man, you must have had a rough night!"

my problem is keeping the dark mascara from running

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are(as a friend on EpicSki describes) the lunatic fringe.........and I love it!

"In women, courage is often mistaken for insanity."

....a psychiatrist on behalf of Alice Paul, a suffragette imprisoned and tortured by Woodrow Wilson and his cronies for protesting in front of the White House to gain the right to vote for women. https://www.vinevixens.com/?q=node/361

It is my goal to end up crazy as a loon.......

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definantly no makeup. Chapstick is about as close as I get on that front. If you need to wear it to feel happy, you should defininantly go for it. As for me, I like my extra 5 min of sleep in the morning. :smile:

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
I do not wear makeup when I ski. Sunscreen - YES, even when it's storming. :smile: The most attention I give to my "look" when I ski is that I might wash the sunscreen off in the ladies room when I am done for the day so that my face looks clean and refreshed.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Au Naturale here, too. SPF 45-50 sunblock and chapstick is all I put on for any activity.

The only time you'll see me in makeup of any kind is a true "night out". Then you'll get lip pencil, blush, light eyeshadow and light mascara...that's it for me.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another au naturel diva here - sunblock/moisturizer and lip balm with sunscreen. I save the make- up for special occasions and even then I keep it at a minimum.
I have found that now that I am in my mid-50s, less is better and too much ages me.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 80% au naturelle. I do put on sunscreen of some sort everyday - which one is dependent on the conditions. I put a line of purple eyeliner on my upper lids (makes my eyes not fade into my face). Sometimes, if I know I won't have my sunglasses or goggles on for a period of time, I'll add a bit of Kiss Me purple mascara. It really doesn't come off (you have to use warm water and "pull" the tubes off the lashes) and it just brings my lashes out a little. If I feel mischievous, I'll put on one of my sparkle eyeliners (like the Urban Decay ones - LOVE the names!) just to make myself laugh. Oh yeah, always a sunscreen lip balm...

For the windburn thing - look at Kiehl's All Sport Non-Freeze Face Protector SPF 30. It's a wax-based product that comes in a small jar. I keep a jar in my daypack to use when I have to stand out in nasty conditions.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Suziecoyote, that ( Iron Angels) was an excellent movie! I used it to get my nieces and Great nieces to vote in the last election. I think we as women do forget that many, many women suffered for our rightds that we no enjoy. Many women forget or really diodn't know that even something as simple as title 9 just went into effect in 1972, my nieces generation just take it for granted that they would be entilted to play the sports they want or take the classes they want. And as for make-up when I ski, or do anything else for that matter if it makes me feel good about myself I use!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga