• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you lock your skis?

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amanda, where do you ski?

I usually ski Mary Jane (Winter Park) Colorado. I also ski Copper Mountain, Loveland, and A-basin less frequently. I'm more careful at Copper since it is a bit more crowded and touristy and I had a friend who got his board stolen there. But at Mary Jane there is ski-in-ski-out parking so it's rare that I ever leave my skis in a rack at the base.

LiaEliz

Certified Ski Diva
I always lock mine up when I am at the bottom of the mountain. Not so much at the top – I figure if someone was going to take them – that would be the place. If I had Aura – I would lock them up! heheh

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I don't ever lock mine up, but with the economy sucking and all the new seasonal workers coming into town - I am starting to think about it. At least separating them.

My Mantras are about $700 with $450 bindings on them.
My new skis are $700 with $500 bindings on them.

I would be SO SAD to have them stolen. Seasonal folks, people hard up for cash or just people being nasty and stealing stuff would easily make a bunch of cash off of my set ups. I'd like to think "oh that would never happen" but it does and I know several people who had things stolen.

So yeah. I guess I'll start separating my equipment, because I'm not going to get an actual lock.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
It kinda depends where I am skiing. I generally use my ski key but have been lazy about it because my skis are older. However, I just purchased new Attiva Fuego skis so will most definately be locking them or at the very least, separating them. At my home mountain, there does not seem to be a problem with theft, thankfully!

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I feel good-n-naive right about now. I'm actually shocked that there are people out there who would just take someone else's skis right off the mountain. I'd be devastated! :(

I've skied on the East Coast for over 20 years and have never locked skis. I've also never heard of anyone getting skis stolen until reading this thread.

I will be looking into it, though, after reading this. I always had rentals in the past, and now have two pairs of new skis that need protecting. Not worth taking the chance, for me!

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So yeah. I guess I'll start separating my equipment, because I'm not going to get an actual lock.
Why not? It costs $15. A small lock is barely noticable in your pocket & it takes 2 seconds to lock your stuff. I have one of those coil locks they sell for snowboards because they could use it as a leash. https://www.skis.com/product/46261?source=googleps
Yes, someone could cut it, but with so much unlocked stuff sitting around, why would they bother? Even separating is not fool proof - all someone has to do is watch you do it. It is so simple to lock your stuff it totally mystifies me why anyone wouldn't, especially having newer expensive equipment.:noidea:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of my friends here just thought I was nuts to lock my stuff. After all this is Whitefish, not the East Coast, right? Then I noticed last season that one guy had been reading the police blotter and decided that maybe I had the right idea.

The hassle and expense (even with insurance) of having your skis (maybe not so much your poles) gone when you come out from a quickie to the loo or from lunch just doesn't justify saying "it's not cool", "it's too much hassle", "the lock is bulky", etc. All it takes is ONE PERSON to ruin your day.

abc

Banned
Funny how everyone justify what they do:

Non-lockers:
- So many un-locked skis, chances of mine got taken is tiny.
- Heavy locks are a bother. Small locks are no guarantee.

Seperators:
- little bit of deterrant is better than none.
- locks have their problem. Keys could get lost. Combo locks can freeze up.
- flimsy locks can easily be cut anyway.

Lockers:
- Locks are no not hard to carry or use.
- seperation are not fool proof
- no lock is invitation for trouble.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All right, I'm really thinking about this lock thing now, especially since I've got brand new, pretty unique skis and I don't want to lose them. Probably a dumb question, though, but how do you actually lock them up? What actually secures the lock to the ski? :bag:

Jilly

Staff member
Then wrap the cable around something like the end of the rack. Remember to look at whatever you are locking them too. You don't want someone to be able to lift the whole works up and off whatever its attached too. We like the end of the racks, railings or light standards when were in the village if the racks are full.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then wrap the cable around something like the end of the rack. Remember to look at whatever you are locking them too. You don't want someone to be able to lift the whole works up and off whatever its attached too. We like the end of the racks, railings or light standards when were in the village if the racks are full.
Ah, well, yes. Guess I should have added that part.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny how everyone justify what they do:

Non-lockers:
- So many un-locked skis, chances of mine got taken is tiny.
- Heavy locks are a bother. Small locks are no guarantee.

Seperators:
- little bit of deterrant is better than none.
- locks have their problem. Keys could get lost. Combo locks can freeze up.
- flimsy locks can easily be cut anyway.

Lockers:
- Locks are no not hard to carry or use.
- seperation are not fool proof
- no lock is invitation for trouble.

Spot on. Maybe it's time to close the topic?

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out with my new skis on Sunday and my ski companion showed me a neat way of "locking" my skis using my pole straps.

This is on a regular ski rack, where the skis are supported by a thinner metal piece that is in a wave shape up and down the main top pole. I place the skis in the dent of the wave, then push the handle of the pole up inside the peak of the wave next to it (inside the loop formed between the thinner and the thicker bar), push the pole up high enough to slip the grip over the tip of the ski, then slide it back down again and bring the pole handle back under the thinner bar and leave it to one side.

I thought this was a nifty idea if caught in a pinch. My powder skis were brand new with eye catching graphics and the racks were pretty bare.

Anyhow, it was late in the day and when we came out they were clearing the racks away for the day, so my skis were lined up nicely against the lodge wall........ someone must have spent a while untangling them.

LOL - maybe this proves it was a useless exercise. Also, I can see that it would take me ages to get my own skis out of a very crowded rack on a busy day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga