• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do ski shops treat women differently?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may do that. I live in Petoskey, about an hour north, but I do need to go to the mall here soon so I may swing by there as well.

Yes, you read that right. The closest mall is an hour away. Unless you want to buy your clothes at J. C. Penny's or Wal Mart or spend half your paycheck on a pair of jeans you have to go to Traverse City to go shopping. It's a rural area.
My psuedo-grandma lives in Petoskey!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's because they are guys, and it is a well-known fact that guys inflate their level -- so their automatic response is to take the level given and multiply by 0.66. (You know, Guy #1 says, "I caught a 25-inch trout!" ... Guy #2 understands, "I caught a 16-inch trout!")

Whereas, women tend to underestimate their level -- but most shop guys don't know that. They should be adding to the level you tell them, yet they are subtracting.

It's just a simple math problem. :D
I missed this way back when. It cracks me up. I have a co-worker who has told me his ski level is "intermediate to advanced to expert". Uh, that's quite a range there dude. And if you don't know that then I'm betting you're close to intermediate.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I missed this way back when. It cracks me up. I have a co-worker who has told me his ski level is "intermediate to advanced to expert". Uh, that's quite a range there dude. And if you don't know that then I'm betting you're close to intermediate.

:ROTF:

But typical.

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a co-worker who has told me his ski level is "intermediate to advanced to expert". Uh, that's quite a range there dude. And if you don't know that then I'm betting you're close to intermediate.

That's hilarious. My mom always tries to give people pointers on how to do things. Of course she is never any good at the things she is trying to give pointers on but that doesn't keep her from trying.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It probably means that if there is freshly groomed snow he can go down the blacks where he normally skis, but if it's icy he can only go down blues, and if he's in the West or some much larger resort and conditions are bad, he can go down the greens.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a typical day for me. :redface:
Oh, gosh, me too. I have days where I feel like a rockstar and I can ski anything and other days I'm falling apart. But, I think one can put a general categorization on your average ski ability. For example, while I can ski some things like an expert I still don't consider myself expert ability in general and would classify myself as advanced. I considered myself advanced intermediate until just the last couple of years when bump skiing started to come together for me.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, gosh, me too. I have days where I feel like a rockstar and I can ski anything and other days I'm falling apart. But, I think one can put a general categorization on your average ski ability. For example, while I can ski some things like an expert I still don't consider myself expert ability in general and would classify myself as advanced. I considered myself advanced intermediate until just the last couple of years when bump skiing started to come together for me.

This reminds me of another discussion thread where the meaning of "intermediate" was debated. The fact is, every person and every ski centre has an arbitrary definition of terms like "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert". I think it's more useful for me, when I go shopping for gear, to chat a bit about where I ski, how I ski it, and what my comfort zone is. For instance, if I tell people that I'm a fast and aggressive skier on the icy east coast hardpack, ski the blacks and most double-blacks with confidence as long as they're groomed, but turn into a useless idiot in the powder or in the bumps, then they know a bit better what they're dealing with, right?

Of course, nine times out of ten they're still going to say "well, this is our most popular women's ski, and hey, it's 30% off!" But that's where you ladies come in, with all your excellent advice.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

For you, I think the ski/feel pretty thread is relevant. I know I've told you this before, but I think you sell yourself short when describing your skiing ability! It may feel like you're working hard/falling apart, but the times I've seen you, you look really good. :smile: Really!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fact is, every person and every ski centre has an arbitrary definition of terms like "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert".
I've decided that "intermediate" simply excludes "beginner" and "advanced." Looking at Roxy's website today I revisited the "what level are you" descriptions, and decided that when I go shopping again I'll come prepared with descriptions of how I am on ice, in powder, on steeps, on comfy groomers, etc. instead of the advancing-intermediate I usually use. I did that when I bought a bike and got the perfect thing for me, so why wouldn't it work for ski gear?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Mod note: we've had some good discussions on ski levels. You can find one here, and another one here, if you care to add.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mod note: we've had some good discussions on ski levels. You can find one here, and another one here, if you care to add.
Yes, we've certainly hashed it to death. I meant to just add a note about how non-specific the term 'intermediate' is when talking to salespeople. Talking about how you actually handle different conditions usually seems to change their frame of mind if they don't seem to get it at first (i.e. just show you the pretty skis).

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My problem is the reverse. Getting guys to take me seriously when I am trying to sell THEM stuff. I often go over to the ski wall and try to get a conversation going but instead get the "no just looking", like I couldn't possibly know the answer to their question. Then male sales associate walks over and they immediately start gabbing gear. So irritating!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My problem is the reverse. Getting guys to take me seriously when I am trying to sell THEM stuff. I often go over to the ski wall and try to get a conversation going but instead get the "no just looking", like I couldn't possibly know the answer to their question. Then male sales associate walks over and they immediately start gabbing gear. So irritating!

Most professions are like that. I have to put on a real attitude to get respect, and I'm a lawyer. The only job where that didn't happen was when I was a ranger, and I think that was largely because I wore a gun and full duty belt. No one likes to argue with a women carrying a gun on her hip.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lived 45 min south of TC most of my life, so yeah, I do understand.
Its a great life, isn't it!?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Makes perfect sense to me:
Expert on Molly Hogan
Advanced on Ramrod
Intermediate on Pali

Sheesh, do I have to explain everything to you. :laugh:

Christy

Angel Diva
It's because they are guys, and it is a well-known fact that guys inflate their level -- so their automatic response is to take the level given and multiply by 0.66. (You know, Guy #1 says, "I caught a 25-inch trout!" ... Guy #2 understands, "I caught a 16-inch trout!")

Whereas, women tend to underestimate their level -- but most shop guys don't know that. They should be adding to the level you tell them, yet they are subtracting.

I think I might have told this story here before, but anyway...a friend of mine interviewed for a job where Spanish language skills were a plus. She grew up as the child of missionaries in Central America but her language skills were rusty and that she was no longer fluent, so she said she so. She got the job and found they expected her to speak Spanish. She said, hey I told you guys I wasn't fluent anymore! They were surprised and said, well, men always oversell their language skills and women always underestimate theirs, so we thought you probably WERE fluent but didn't want to brag. Oops.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They were surprised and said, well, men always oversell their language skills and women always underestimate theirs, so we thought you probably WERE fluent but didn't want to brag. Oops.
Now that's overthinking things!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From my experience, ski stores treat women different in Canada/US than they do in Europe.

Last winter I bought new boots here in NL, I trusted the fitter as he did know what he was talking about because he explained it beautifully to my novice snow-sporting snow-boarding partner...

Then, away in Austria I decided my usual planks weren't suiting my fitness/conditions/confidence so wanted to rent something a little "easier" for a day or two to get my confidence back. The guy in the shop told my boyfriend that I was trying to ski on "big skis for a woman" and again relayed all the technical specifications to him - stood there in board boots. :rolleyes:

I told the guy what I wished to rent and then the length - again, a quick chat about "a lot of ski for a woman".

Do you laugh or do you cry?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga