• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Do new skis need to be tuned?

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
My new Yumis were edge catchy at first too. Combo of super sharp edges, and being a less forgiving ski than my K2 Free Luvs. (Any ski would be less forgiving than those beginner friendly puppies)! Couple days at Whiteface de tuned them a bit, but now they are perfect, in fact getting them tuned again soon, we in the East are the Frozen Chosen! I think ultimately, you will love your Black Pearls!

mustski

Angel Diva
I have never noticed a need to tune a new- out of the wrapper- ski. I have heard of issues often enough to always have them checked. Until recently, they were always fine - Nordica, Elan, Volkl, and Blizzard. We bought Gavin's GF a pair of First Belles, blemished that had been sitting around the warehouse for awhile. So, I had the shop throw a true bar on them just to be safe and ... sure enough, they weren't flat and needed a grind. I was glad I had checked: we WANTED this gal to love skiing! She did.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have never noticed a need to tune a new- out of the wrapper- ski. I have heard of issues often enough to always have them checked. Until recently, they were always fine - Nordica, Elan, Volkl, and Blizzard. We bought Gavin's GF a pair of First Belles, blemished that had been sitting around the warehouse for awhile. So, I had the shop throw a true bar on them just to be safe and ... sure enough, they weren't flat and needed a grind. I was glad I had checked: we WANTED this gal to love skiing! She did.

Good point about a pair that has been sitting around. I probably should have had that new pair of 2013 Dynastar Exclusive Legend Edens looked at when I just got mounted them up. Hopefully will get them out before the end of the season and I guess I will know then!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiBilly glad they are working out. Your post bring to light the need to find out the nuances of the ski you are demoing. I will be getting a new pair of skis, I asked, and was told there was a tad bit of detuning done to the demo and that the majority of this brand's skis are pretty true out of the wrapper. I also found out from the mountain shop that they did have to do a little work on the 93/ Santa Anna /Enforcer this year where the tip tapers to mid ski. So I'm curious if you have the 2017 or 2018 Pearls? I haven't had issues w/ skiing blizzard, nordica or volkl out of the wrapper in the past years.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does this mean exactly? How do they dampen them?

Wouldn't they be unskiable without any structure? Is this just Blizzards he is talking about?
I should say very little structure. All skis, not just one brand.

Interesting - I believe Blizzard are made in the same factory as Nordica; I own both and have never needed a tune on the new skis.

In the shop we use, I heard certain brands (such as K2 and Line which are made in China) are having such inconsistent edges that the shop is likely dropping the manufacturers for next year.
I have skied lots of skis straight out of the wrapper. Let's just say, I didn't feel the need to have them checked or have some additional structure put into them until now. Once I had it done (no choice, he just grabbed them and did it) boy oh boy! What a difference. I'd take a picture of the difference in structure alone, but all of my skis now have a nice base structure on them, so I have nothing to compare them to for a picture. First world problems, for sure! :tongue:

SkiBilly, were snow conditions different? Mindset? What do you think the difference was?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
They de-tuned my BPs for me gratis so my edges won't catch. (They also de-tuned DH's Atomic Vantage 90...he was also catching edges).
@contesstant , SkiBilly's BPs got some detuning ^^

Once I had it done (no choice, he just grabbed them and did it) boy oh boy! What a difference. I'd take a picture of the difference in structure alone, but all of my skis now have a nice base structure on them, so I have nothing to compare them to for a picture. First world problems, for sure! :tongue:

Very lucky lady! I have a tune like that available to me with the Ski MD we recently discovered - when you compare an out of the wrapper ski to the "factory fresh tune" he does, there is no comparison - just amazing how he makes it look and perform like nothing else I have been on. That said, at $95 a pop I am working through our quivers one or two at a time. I am going to have him work on my Santa Ana's next fall....they got lots of love in Snowmass and Big Sky and have the scars to prove it.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: my new BPs are friggin' fantastic!!!

This morning I skied down the whole run (my favourite blue called Mervyn's) without stopping....first time I've ever done that! I'm also skiing faster than I ever have before...yippee
:ski:

She just needed to relax, head 'em downhill and stop thinking about it so much and then styled! You go girl- skies the limit!

Christy

Angel Diva
I was talking to my husband about this stuff and he told me that last time we were at SV and he was talking to his favorite instructor, the guy was telling him that his brand new Stocklis---hand made, never go on sale Stocklis--had concave bases right out of the wrapper. I guess it's always worth doing what @mustski did and get those checked out before leaving the shop!

mustski

Angel Diva
I was talking to my husband about this stuff and he told me that last time we were at SV and he was talking to his favorite instructor, the guy was telling him that his brand new Stocklis---hand made, never go on sale Stocklis--had concave bases right out of the wrapper. I guess it's always worth doing what @mustski did and get those checked out before leaving the shop!

It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it!

Christy

Angel Diva
It's pretty bizarre that a shop wouldn't automatically check out any pair of new skis it is selling. I just picked up a photo from a frame shop and they unwrapped it and went over every nook and cranny to make sure it was perfect before handing it over.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiBilly glad they are working out. Your post bring to light the need to find out the nuances of the ski you are demoing. I will be getting a new pair of skis, I asked, and was told there was a tad bit of detuning done to the demo and that the majority of this brand's skis are pretty true out of the wrapper. I also found out from the mountain shop that they did have to do a little work on the 93/ Santa Anna /Enforcer this year where the tip tapers to mid ski. So I'm curious if you have the 2017 or 2018 Pearls? I haven't had issues w/ skiing blizzard, nordica or volkl out of the wrapper in the past years.

When I went back to the shop they said there was some de-tuning done to the tips and tails when the bindings were mounted but then they detuned along all the edges for me. I think out of the wrapper the ski was just too much for me. However, with the slight de-tune and then skiing a few very cruddy runs with @CarolB at Friday night skiing they were perfect for me on Saturday morning (my BPs are the 2017 model).

She just needed to relax, head 'em downhill and stop thinking about it so much and then styled! You go girl- skies the limit!

It was such fun skiing with @CarolB. She is an amazing skier. She also took my DH into the trees and gave him a huge workout...he's very fit but he came out huffing and puffing. He's just started venturing into the trees and he fell over quite a few times. I stayed on the groomers...I'm not ready for the trees...if ever, haha.

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Katyperrey for this info. I have skied on them for a few days but only a few hours each time as I am catching edges and skiing like a gimp...so different to how I was on the demos, which instantly made me into a better skier.

The thing is I bought the same bindings as the rentals...I have Tyrolia Attack 13 and the rental was either an 11 or 13.

Whatever the shop needs to do so it skis better, I will ask them to do for free.

SkiBilly can I relate to this?!? Demoed some Volkl Kenjas last weekend and loved them. Felt more confident and was faster and more aggressive than ever! I bought those same demo skis with the bindings. The shop owner said he would throw in a tune and now it feels like a different ski and I hate it! Faster (not in a good way) and catchy and i don't trust them at all and I look like I don't know what I am doing at all! A friend suggested de-tuning so I may have to try that. I hope that is the answer because I feel like I made a huge mistake and bought too much ski for my ability.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I've bought skis unmounted online from various shops over the last ten years and they arrived in the shrink wrap and not a single pair was ever missing structure. Sure it was a fine linear structure, but that is perfect for the dry snow of the Rockies. The only regular problem has been the edge tune. I think some brands assume you'll get them tuned and they come with crazy, "pre-tune" bevels like .5/1.5, or the bevel is insistent along its length. Taking them to a shop you've got the issue of some shops deciding that you're some fat old lady who wants X, or that it's too much trouble to change the machine for this one pair, or that they disagree with what you want, etc. I've stood there arguing with them about tunes. I'm sure if I was some fit GUY that they'd do as told! There's one shop left that I haven't tried, so next base grind (for restoration of the base bevel, not the structure), I'm going to try them. It's very frustrating.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I think some brands assume you'll get them tuned and they come with crazy, "pre-tune" bevels like .5/1.5

I am just learning about base/side edge levels. I have always brought my skis in and just asked for them to be tuned, with varying degrees of success. The ski tech we now have working on our skis has done an overhaul on a few pairs that were in need. I believe he did a .5 base, but I am not sure if the side is 2 or 3; I am going to confirm the next time I go in. Whatever it was performed beautifully when I tried out my daughter's Dynastars after he worked on them. I just skied her new longer pair of the same ski, new with a factory tune, and they did not ski nearly as well; they took longer to hook up, and didn't seem to hold a strong enough edge. I will have him look at those in the fall.

I found a thread on Epic that had a very detailed explanation of what less and more bevel would feel like and I found it very helpful:

From Epic, credit to Bob Barnes:

Base Edge Bevel--primarily controls "predictability" and how far a ski must be tipped before the edge engages
  • Optimal bevel: Flat (unedged) ski is predictable, not "grabby"; skis are easily steered through the transition; edges engage smoothly but positively when appropriately tipped, and can still be "feathered" into a skid when needed.
  • More bevel: Ski must be tipped further before the edge engages, allowing you to incline further into the turn before it hooks up and starts carving. Some strong skiers prefer this, especially those who prefer to stand fully on their skis with minimal "unweighting" through the transition, as they roll the skis from edge to edge. (This is rare, but I know a very strong racer who, for a while, tuned his slalom skis with a 3 degree base edge bevel, requiring him to move way inside the turn before the skis, which were then on a huge edge angle, started carving a very tight radius turn. The downside is later edge engagement; upside is incredibly tight carving radius when the edges finally do engage.)
  • Too much bevel: flat skis are "swimmy" and do not feel like they'll hold very well, because you have to tip them a long way to get them to grip.
  • Less bevel: Ski edge engages quickly when minimally tipped: ski is less forgiving, and requires very accurate, precise, and consistent movements.
  • Too little bevel: Ski is "grabby" and unforgiving, difficult to steer smoothly, and very uncomfortable when flat on the snow, and "catching an edge" is more likely when skidding or sideslipping.
  • Too little bevel: ski wants to hook up too quickly, trying to carve before you are sufficiently inside the turn for balance; the sensation is that the ski keeps coming back underneath you as you try to roll it onto edge to carve. Strong skiers with sophisticated pressure management skills may prefer this, as they can unweight the skis sufficiently to keep them from starting to carve until they are ready, then subtly re-establish pressure when the time is right. (In a full pendulum swing, the same racer described above now tunes his slalom skis with zero base edge bevel. He can now carve earlier in the turn, but must be extremely accurate in his movements as his skis hook up so suddenly and vigorously.)

Side Edge Bevel--primarily controls edge grip; more bevel grips better
  • Optimal bevel: skis hold well on hard snow, but not so aggressively that they cannot be steered or feathered into a skid when needed.
  • More bevel: skis hold better on harder snow, may bite too aggressively on softer snow.
  • More bevel: edge forms a more acute angle (less than 90 degrees); this makes it feel sharper, but it also makes it more fragile and dull more quickly. It's sharper, but you'll need to maintain and resharpen it more frequently to keep that edge.
  • Less bevel: skis are easier to steer and skid, but do not hold well on hard snow.
  • On very hard snow and ice, some side edge bevel is important for an additional reason; without it, the side of the edge can literally pry the edge of the ski out of its groove as the ski tips further. A graphic would make this concept easier to explain, but imagine driving a shovel into firm snow, and then prying down on the handle. The blade of the shovel pivots against the surface of the snow, prying the tip of the shovel out. Now imagine that the shovel blade is curved lengthwise, so that it leaves a hollow area underneath it when driven straight into the snow. Now you'll have to tip the handle down further before the shovel blade touches the snow surface and begins to pry the edge out. In effect, side edge bevel accomplishes the same thing, allowing the sharp edge to continue to cut into the ice as the ski tips further on edge.

(A few years ago, VailSnoPro and Cgeib put together a short PowerPoint presentation with some great animated graphics to explain these effects of bevel. Perhaps one of them might post some of those images here, if we're really nice!)

Many things affect "optimal" bevel, including ski construction, snow conditions, technical skill, and skier preference. Torsionally softer skis twist more when tipped on edge, effectively increasing base-edge bevel at the tip and tail, and may benefit from slightly less base edge bevel as a result. Softer snow conditions do not require such tenacious edge grip, and may suggest less side edge bevel. Very precise and skilled skiers can handle--and will probably prefer (in most conditions)--an aggressive tune with minimal base edge bevel (0-0.5 degree) and more side edge bevel (3+ degrees); less-skilled skiers would find this tune difficult to manage, and may do better with a less aggressive tune (0.7-1 degree base, 1-2 degree side).

0.7-1 degree base and 2 degree side edge bevel is a pretty standard tune for many skis. Most skiers will find that tune predictable and easy to manage, yet sufficiently grippy for most turns on reasonably firm conditions. (Of course, regardless of the bevels, skis must also be sharp if they are to hold well.) Many skis come this way, and many shops have their edging equipment set up this way by default. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Many people seem to think that the manufacturer's tune is somehow a "recommended" tune for that particular ski, but I would not look at it that way. It's usually just a tune that they think most "typical" skiers will find easy to ski. Rather than worrying about "manufacturer's specs" or someone else's recommendations, I encourage you to go by feel, with the understanding of what different bevels do. Skis grabby and unpredictable? Add base bevel. Skis not holding well enough? Are they sharp? If so, add side edge bevel. Skis too grippy? Reduce side edge bevel.

Finally, remember that changing a bevel requires grinding away more metal from the edge. Unless you're a racer with free skis, I recommend finding a tune that you like and sticking with it. For what it's worth, I tune pretty much every ski I have at 0.5/3 (by convention, the base edge bevel is always stated first). I ski them that way in every condition. Sometimes I'm tempted to increase the side edge bevel when it's extremely firm, but I don't often do it.

Once you settle on a tune you like, I recommend getting a set of good bevel guides and a file and diamond stone or two. It doesn't take much to learn to use these basic tools to keep your edges in great condition. Unless you cause some real damage, five minutes a day with a diamond stone will usually be all it takes to maintain your tune, and your skiing will be much happier for it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga