• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do jarred foods expire? Same rules as cans?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been googling my brains out, but searches for jarred food returns results for canned food. Is it the same?

Multiple sites have consistently informed me that canned food will last 18 months if acidic (tomatoes, citrus) and five years if not (everything else). Not that I have a record of when I bought it.

What about jarred food? If I never opened it but it says it expired in 2015, do I toss it? Go for it? Are the rules the same as cans? I'm talking about commercially packed food, not home-canned and jarred.

And for that matter, what about cartons with "fake" milk - almond, soy?

Yup - spring cleaning - this time the fridge and pantry.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I toss everything with expired dates...but that's me. I purge everything.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would think that anything unopened where the seal (usually a small button on top of a jar) is still depressed would technically be ok since it is still sterile (the button pops up when gasses are released inside the jar, as a result of bacterial growth). That being said, I'm not stocking a doomsday pantry and I try and clean out my can shelf pretty frequently or just not keep stuff around forever, if I find something that has been in there for a year or more then I usually toss it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't buy a lot of canned/jarred foods but I do find myself tossing boxed/cartons of soups and jars of pasta sauce. Any exploding foods go without even looking at exp dates.
Also Odwallas, yogurts, many refrigerated items get tossed.

Jilly

Staff member
The expiry date or best before is a quality item, not necessarily a safety thing. Since the item is in glass....does it look OK? No bubbles. Open and smell..does it smell OK? In another life I was the QC Microbiologist for a major food company.

But I like to be safe and chuck it. Any milk type product for sure!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Years ago they didn't put expiration dates on things. Especially cans. I usually don't worry if it hasn't been opened, the seal is still good, the can isn't deformed, etc. Doesn't mean I don't give old stuff a good look and sniff and careful taste when it gets opened. I swear most of these dates exist because someone got a law made which was unneeded for most things, but made it apply to everything. Either that or it's the manufacturer trying to improve their cash flow. Lots of stuff is just fine past its expiration.

Jilly

Staff member
I should add though anything in glass and has a sugar substitute should be thrown at expiry. ie. diet drinks. It breaks down into something not good for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna