• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Diva West @ Steamboat, Trip Report and Photos

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a lap over there today with my coworker who lives in Steamboat. It was fun! Reminded me a bit of the Alleys in the Pali area at A-Basin, but less steep. Also reminded me of the Outback area at Keystone, if either of those comparisons are helpful to you.

Overall - tight trees for the west, but not super tight. Not too steep. I'd say nice advanced trees. My coworker was saying they're planning to thin them a bit over the coming seasons so they should get even more fun.

Here's the only pic I took:
View attachment 22384
How does Mahogany chair terrain compare to Taos advanced/expert terrain? Curious for the future ski trips.

BTW great pictures and conditions look good. Thank you for sharing everyone!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
How does Mahogany chair terrain compare to Taos advanced/expert terrain? Curious for the future ski trips. ...

Based on what we skied at Taos you can ski the Mahogany Ridge area. This is more vert, so you have to want 1800' of bumps and trees to go in there, but it's not as steep or tight as the harder trees we skied in Taos. It's also a lot more varied... you're in some aspens, then tighter pines, then it opens up a little, etc. We skied skier's left of the chair, and I do think it gets steeper and tighter as you move right.

In general, I forgot how much vert Steamboat has! With the exception of the Morningside area, you're often getting close to 2k from a lift ride. And top to bottom is close to 3.5k feet! It does explain why both gondolas have signs outside encouraging you to ride them down if you're tired. :smile:

teppaz

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We’re looking for those! Found some cool ones this morning on the other side!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was widely spaced, but just fyi that it wasn’t super gentle terrain overall.. often pictures make things look friendlier than it is when we are skiing. Just a disclaimer for everyone to always gauge the terrain by more than others’ pictures when deciding to go in for the first time.
yeah, definitely that area has some more challenging terrain too, it's not all nice and open if I remember correctly.

@teppaz Steamboat has a lot of easier mellow glades on the Sunshine and Morningside area. Great fun on a powder day IMHO, though Morningside is flat towards the bottom so if there is a lot of powder may have to pole/skate.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on what we skied at Taos you can ski the Mahogany Ridge area. This is more vert, so you have to want 1800' of bumps and trees to go in there, but it's not as steep or tight as the harder trees we skied in Taos. It's also a lot more varied... you're in some aspens, then tighter pines, then it opens up a little, etc. We skied skier's left of the chair, and I do think it gets steeper and tighter as you move right.

In general, I forgot how much vert Steamboat has! With the exception of the Morningside area, you're often getting close to 2k from a lift ride. And top to bottom is close to 3.5k feet! It does explain why both gondolas have signs outside encouraging you to ride them down if you're tired. :smile:
Thank you, this is really helpful. I wonder - maybe Mahogany Ridge area would really be fun on a powder day. I am very interested to check it out some time in the next few years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga