• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ditching my Head Dream Thangs let me ski again

Bing

Angel Diva
Hi Divas -

Two seasons ago I bought Head Dream Thangs. The yellow ones - the more "aggressive" ones. I bought them at a good ski store with lots of good advice.

I took lessons. Boy did I take lessons - kept trying to get comfortable on the icy hard pack we have in Ontario. I grew up skiing on snow in BC, so I figured that is where the problem lay.

Over the past two seasons I hugely regressed. It got to the point where I was skiing greens at big mountains when I used to ski blues, pushing gingerly into possible blacks.

The Dream Thangs hurt my feet - that I knew. I would have pain sitting up the ski lift. I needed to dump baby powder into them by the vat full into order to get them on.

So, in August of this year I bought Technica Attiva Mega boots at a ski blowout at the same store. The week before we went on our SunPeaks trip I wore them to make dinner every night. I was hopeful that I might not feel the need to barf going up the chair lift given how comfortable they felt in the kitchen.

So. day one of skiing at SunPeaks - the last place we skiied last year. The place where my 11 year old DS asked his Dad if I needed therapy to be able to ski as a family.

There was about 5 cm of pow on groomers. We start skiing down a gentle green. I had no foot pain. I was enjoying the turning without thinking. I was having fun. DH checks out how I'm doing and suggests a different green, higher up the mountain. Up we go. Down we go, down the 5 mile run. At the bottom DH says "I think you can handle blues the way you're skiing". I hesitated. Then agreed to tackle Sundance, a run I had side stepped up in March. Got to the run and went down it wondering why I had freaked in March.

Now, before everyone stops reading and assumes I'm crazy, let me tell you what I was feeling. The slope didn't "feel" steep. When my skis slid, I felt what I saw, which was a manageable slope. My feet did what I wanted them to do and they were telling my brain the truth of the slope, not the incorrect perception.

I believe that having stupidily bad fitting boots lead to my regression as a skier over the past two years.

If any diva is feeling like she has lost her mojo and is going backwards, please think about your boots & do something about it if you are having a bad boot fit situation. Do NOT lose two precious seasons like I did.

I'm proud to say the rest of the week I continued to conquer runs I had balked on in March & tackled a few I never in my dreams would have thought I could handle.

Our family is skiing together again and it is fun.

Life is really good. Skiing rocks !

I've been lucky with boots, but I had the experience in my third season (06/07) of skiing of moving up to skis that were too stiff and long for me, and I really regressed and hurt my knee at Big Sky. Dialed it back down the next season with new intermediate skis, and that was soooo helpful.

What I am noticing so far this season is how I ski when conditions throw me (so far that means icy hardpack and/or ice cookies) vs. when there's softer and more plentiful snow. I think it's more of a headspace about the conditions than the challenge of skiing the conditions themselves, either way, I'm observing.

Glad you got your mojo back!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing what new boots can do. :smile:

Great to hear you're having fun. That's what it's all about!

Jilly

Staff member
I can concurr with my new boots. Even though they are too tight in the cuff, I'm working through it. I love the connection. That's the only way to describe it!

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had my current boots for 10 ish years and they are super comfy, but it's time to replace them and i'm so nervous about breaking in a new set of boots.

So glad to hear you got your love of skiing back and you can ski as a family again!!

Tami

Certified Ski Diva
No foot pain=mojo for me!

I also skied through two years of foot and ankle pain before a fab boot fitter point blank told me "skiing does NOT equal foot/ankle pain." I started trying other boots and am now the happy owner of some Technica boots. They are a dream and I can enjoy skiing and the thrill of racing my husband down the run instead of wincing in pain with each turn. My family is amazed at how much better I ski with better fitting boots and I hadn't really realized how much pain I was in with the old boots.

Bing

Angel Diva
Woo hoo - glad I'm not the only one who is amazing her family and herself after a "hiatus" due to bad boots <G>.

I wish I had those two years of awful skiing back, but you cannot move backwards to fix things.

Funny how many of us are loving Technica boots !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga