• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Difficulty deciding between Blizzard, Volkl and Rossignol for first pair of skis

Jodisan

Diva in Training
Hi!

I’m an intermediate skier who skis approximately 5-10 days per year but am tired of renting skis and just want to own my own gear. I ski predominantly intermediate runs (which I am very comfortable on) but would like to improve my skiing and get better at black runs, moguls and some more fun tree runs. I am 5’6’’ and weigh between 140-145 pounds.

I bought the Volkl Yumi 84 161 cm after discussion with my local ski shop. I was indecisive about 154 cm vs 161 cm but the salesman said the 161 cm would give me room to grow into them.

I just got back from skiing a week in Park City and had difficulty with the Volkl if I tried to do any steeper runs, moguls or short tree runs. I was also questioning whether they were a bit too long for me. I took at lesson while at Park City and the instructor thought the 161 cm Volkl was too long for me and something around 155 cm would be better for my ability. I was also told the fact that it had a titanal power plate made it more of an expert ski. So now I am just a little confused.

Last year, I skied the Blizzard Black Pearl 78 156 cm and Faction 90 159 cm in Breckenridge. The Blizzard felt good. The Faction felt much more flexible (maybe too much as I felt like I was getting bounced around a lot).

The ski shop I bought them from has a 100% guarantee and so I went back in today and they offered me the option to trade them in.

The salesman at the local ski shop offered the following options based on their inventory and some of the things I discussed above.

1. Blizzard Black Pearl 82 159 cm
2. Rossignol Experience 80 158 cm
3. Or stick with the Volkl.

Any advice or recommendations? I feel a little confused right now.

Thank you in advance for your time.

-Jodi

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Are you going to ski mostly out west? Since you liked the BP78 @156, then you'll probably like the BP82 @159. Take advantage of the shop's offer to change skis.

When I was an intermediate just starting to demo skis, there wasn't a Volkl model that I liked at all. Usually would return them after one run because it was so obvious. After I starting taking lessons at my home hill and at destination resorts, I had a chance to demo the Yumi. It was the only Volkl that seemed fun but it was clearly more work than any Rossignol or Nordica skis I've demo'd. Note that I'm petite so not in your size category.

As for whether or not 161cm is too long, that depends a bit on what type of terrain and snow conditions you plan to ski more. Shorter skis are easier to turn for sure.

Jodisan

Diva in Training
I’ve been skiing mostly out west. Park City and Breckenridge. I stick to mainly the groomed trails.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ve been skiing mostly out west. Park City and Breckenridge. I stick to mainly the groomed trails.
In that case, the Experience 80 may be the better fit. I haven't demo'd any Experience skis but have been thinking about it because in general I like any Rossignol models. My first "all-mountain" skis were Rossi skis that were 127-75-108 when I was an adventurous intermediate. By the time I checked out Black Pearls, I was starting to ski off-piste more than once a day during spring break trips to Alta with my daughter (tween back then, better than I was by age 11).

Maybe @Jilly can help.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I would lean towards the Experience 80. It will be the most forgiving of the bunch, while providing a good amount of stability (and a huge step up from rental skis).

The Black Pearl 78 that you mention trying and enjoying has a similar construction to the Experience 80. Both the Yumi and the BP82 have metal laminates (that the BP78 and the Exp80 do not). A metal laminate tends to offer more stability, but less forgiveness. If you find the Yumi to be a bit too demanding for your current skill set, I think you might end up in a similar situation if you go with the BP82.

Jilly

Staff member
I would say the Experience too. But I have not skied either of the others. But agree, if you're struggling with the Yumi's....then make them gone. @elemmac says there's metal in the BP, then maybe avoiding them would be a good idea.

Jodisan

Diva in Training
I haven’t read anywhere that the BP’s have a titanal plate like the Yumi’s do. Where did you read that?

Jodisan

Diva in Training
I found this regarding the 2021 Yumi 84:
“The titanal power plate is found underfoot and extends a bit towards the tips and tails of the skis. Also going edge to edge, the plate not only serves as a binding retention platform, but also a partial metal laminate for increased underfoot stability and edge grip.”

I read the 2022 BP 82 has a titanal insert under the binding area only.

Jilly

Staff member
So the metal is in the same place in these skis. It changes the flex pattern to stiffer underfoot. The Rossi doesn't have it. It has Carbon in those places. Not as stiff, but not a noodle either.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Almost seems like last year's (20/21) Black Pearls in 159cm would be better (they're softer than the Yumis and much like the BP78's). I believe the Experience 80's are stiffer than all of these, but more beginner-friendly than the 21/22 Black Pearls.

Have you thought about trying the 21/22 Yumi's in 154cm?

Scribble

Angel Diva
I'd recommend trying the Rossi's. I had e84's when I was getting back to skiing and they took me a long way. They are a friendly ski that can hold an edge at decent speed, but are also perfectly happy to be skied slow and skidded. They're fun in the bumps and won't take off like a rocket if you end up in the back seat.

Jodisan

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the replies! So I researched ALOT based on your comments and the 2022 BP Blizzard 82 does have a titanal plate similar to the Yumi 84! The guy at the ski shop told me it didn’t! So frustrating. So now I feel like the Yumi’s I already have will ski similar to the BP and no sense in trading them in. The only Rossignol option is the Experience 180 at 158 cm.

Honestly, the only reason I started questioning the Yumi’s is because my friend (who skis a lot more than me), said they looked too long at 161 cm and that I should have gotten the 154 cm. So I went back to the ski shop intending to just swap out the size and then that is when he mentioned the issue may be the titanal plate.

I wanted something fun but also that I would be able to grow into a bit.

Jodisan

Diva in Training
So now I am just thinking stick with the Yumi’s I have. The more I ski them the more I will get used to them? Thoughts?

shadoj

Angel Diva
So now I am just thinking stick with the Yumi’s I have. The more I ski them the more I will get used to them? Thoughts?
Sometimes that's the case. Depending on what you were skiing on before, it might take a few times to find their sweet spot, and how to ask them for what you want. Sometimes I think of my skis as ponies under my feet, with their own personalities I have to work with and trust! They'll forgive some of my weaknesses, but be ruthless in pointing out other shortcomings!

If you're able to get the ski to bend a bit when you pressure it, I imagine the Yumis will really reward you when you have good technique. If you can't bend them at all with a little speed/force, then you probably do need a softer or shorter ski. Another lesson on your new skis, after a day or two of playing around, might help.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will generally agree with this. 161 should be fine for you at 5'6" - as you start hitting steeper terrain and going faster, you're gonna want the extra length. I will say that when I demoed the Yumis in a 154, I felt their length more than Rossignol (but I tried the Stargazer and not the Experience). They were still a very nice ski though, very stable, but I did prefer the the Rossignol. Is there any way you can demo before exchanging?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I will generally agree with this. 161 should be fine for you at 5'6" - as you start hitting steeper terrain and going faster, you're gonna want the extra length. I will say that when I demoed the Yumis in a 154, I felt their length more than Rossignol (but I tried the Stargazer and not the Experience). They were still a very nice ski though, very stable, but I did prefer the the Rossignol. Is there any way you can demo before exchanging?
I second that -- if you can demo some skis in different lengths before you go back, you might have a better idea of what you need.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I haven’t read anywhere that the BP’s have a titanal plate like the Yumi’s do. Where did you read that?
This was something that was recently brought to my attention. I was under the same impression as you originally. From Blizzard’s website:

0B3EDFF8-93EB-4D2B-A6AB-CF65781712AA.jpeg

So they definitely have some. I went down the rabbit hole recently of trying to figure out exactly what they were calling “Wide Titanal”. Some websites say they were upgraded to add metal for performance, others stated that it was just for binding retention.

Keep in mind simply having metal or not is not the final deciding factor of how a ski skis. Metal sheets come in all sorts of shapes, thicknesses and sizes. All of these properties will affect how the metal affects performance.

My recommendation also comes from where the ski falls within the manufacturers line up of skis. The Yumi 84 is most comparable to the BP 82 and they both fall somewhere in between the Rossignol Exp 82Ti and the Exp 82C. The Experience 80 is more relatable to the Yumi 80, and the former BP78 (even though Blizzard drop this from their lineup).

Jodisan

Diva in Training
Unfortunately, I won’t have the opportunity to demo a different pair. From all the comments and my own research, I think I should just stick with the Yumi’s I have. I think it is just a matter of growing into them a bit and improving my technique. Doesn’t make sense to trade them in for a ski that is similar (Blizzard BP 82). If I trade down to the Rossignol Exp 80, I’m afraid I’ll regret it as I have been taking lessons and my skiing is continually improving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna