• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Destroying inside edge of skis??

silly4snow

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies! Any thoughts on what might be wrong with my technique that’s causing me to destroy the inside edges/top sheets of my skis? It happens on both skis, and with my current Yumis of 3 years but also my previous Line skis.

I would say I’m advanced intermediate and aggressively cruise blues and easy blacks. I wonder if it’s from slashy turns on icy and steeper slopes when I’m trying to brake more.

I have weekly group lessons on the horizon but any insight to potentially stop doing this before I demo and buy new skis would be helpful!!

TIA!
IMG_3381.jpegIMG_3383.jpegIMG_3384.jpeg

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you hit them together when you're on the lift?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it just the inside of your skis? Do the inside sides of your boots have edge marks or is the plastic unscathed?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My guess without watching you ski is either too narrow of a stance but another possibility is not either pressure in the inside ski along with a non simultaneous rotation possibly causing the edge of one ski rubbing on the top sheet of the other ski.

I almost expected more but scuff marks....

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry not either, but not enough...darned text to speech. Also no but in the last sentence. Sorry.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more question. Is it only above the top binding piece? I don't see the bottom half in the photo.

If yes, the you are likely turning one ski more than the other through the turn.

On the boot are the scratches only on the front of the boot or along the whole boot?

Skis are likely too close but not enough pressure on both skis and a slight over rotation of one ski relative to the other, are my suspicion.

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
One more question. Is it only above the top binding piece? I don't see the bottom half in the photo.

If yes, the you are likely turning one ski more than the other through the turn.

On the boot are the scratches only on the front of the boot or along the whole boot?

Skis are likely too close but not enough pressure on both skis and a slight over rotation of one ski relative to the other, are my suspicion.
Would you start stance corrections with a bootfitter first?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am guilty of too narrow of a stance - one of the first things I was told when I joined a group instruction was "don't be such a lady"...I need to mentally man splay when skiing and then I would likely have an appropriate stance, lol. Old habits are very hard to break.

I have a number of skis in the quiver and some top sheets are more durable than others. Several of my skis have virtually no marks, but my 2019 Sheeva 9s are pretty beat up.

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
I am guilty of too narrow of a stance - one of the first things I was told when I joined a group instruction was "don't be such a lady"...I need to mentally man splay when skiing and then I would likely have an appropriate stance, lol. Old habits are very hard to break.

I have a number of skis in the quiver and some top sheets are more durable than others. Several of my skis have virtually no marks, but my 2019 Sheeva 9s are pretty beat up.
Thanks, I too have received similar advice. The magic X drill is drilled in my brain.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Same here . . . our stance is a function of the era (70s) and location (New England) in which we first skied!
Funny . . . the first day I saw you ski at DivaEast Bretton Woods 2022, on the steep pitch on a run called Bode's Run, I thought Wow! she has a beautiful advanced skier stance that I should emulate! I guess I have to emulate your attempt to man splay too! :laughter:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would you start stance corrections with a bootfitter first?
It never hurts to have stance analyzed and boots and canting adjusted if necessary. In this instance I am just guessing, but one or two runs following behind would help answer The original question. Stance width, lack of inside ski pressure, partial wedge with lack of pressure on inside ski, maybe something else entirely?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Same here . . . our stance is a function of the era (70s) and location (New England) in which we first skied!
Funny . . . the first day I saw you ski at DivaEast Bretton Woods 2022, on the steep pitch on a run called Bode's Run, I thought Wow! she has a beautiful advanced skier stance that I should emulate! I guess I have to emulate your attempt to man splay too! :laughter:
Aww, thank you!

Yes, it is a function of when/where I learned to ski - the early 70s and VT - and never having instruction until recently. I have tweaked a few things with instruction that have made a big difference to me, but that stance is a tough one to break. Oh, well, at least we are having fun, right?

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do one side of your street shoes wear more than the other? If so, I would check out your alignment. You may need to have wedges placed under one or both feet (canting),and/or your cuffs canted to make your skis run flat.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not a ski instructor or anyone remotely knowledgeable... BUT Mr. Tinymoose did/does this as well and it was mostly an A-framing/alignment issue. Not a technique/too narrow stance issue, so I'd get that checked first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga