• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Deciding between the Head Total Joy's or Kore 85s

m.antic

Diva in Training
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get some advice on which ski would be a better fit for me.

I started skiing 4 years ago and have gone on multiple trips by now (mostly in the east as I live in Ontario, Canada, but have also been in Europe). I've been renting and borrowing my cousin's skis which were Rossignol Temptation 75s, so pretty beginner-level skis. As I'm getting more confident down blue runs and start to gain control while picking up speeds, I'm looking to finally invest into my very own pair (I didn't want to buy any while learning as I knew I'd grow out of them pretty quick). By now, I'm confident going down blue runs and feel like it's my skis that are holding me back from getting better and improving my form. Ideally, I'd want all-mountain terrain.

I went to a local ski shop and the owner suggested the Head Total Joys but I wanted to do some of my own research and look at other models since their selection wasn't very big. I found the Head Kore 85s and they seem to fit my needs pretty well too but I'm also open to any suggestions on other brands/models!!

I'm turning 24, 5'7" and weigh between 120-125lbs btw.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What length did they recommend for you? It may also be you need a longer, not just a wider ski....

marzNC

Angel Diva
I went to a local ski shop and the owner suggested the Head Total Joys

I'm turning 24, 5'7" and weigh between 120-125lbs btw.

I think the one he had in store was 153...
Welcome! Paging @Jilly

While the Total Joys could be good skis for you, 153cm seems quite short. I'm 7 inches shorter and a bit lighter, older (as in retired). My all-mountain skis as an adventurous intermediate were 154cm.

Jilly

Staff member
I haven't been on either ski, so can't really comment on them. I might be shorter, but have 35lbs on @m.antic . Head has now been introduced to the shops at Tremblant, so they are appearing at the demo days. But I haven't been able to get to any.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the big difference between these two is the shape & profile. The Kore line is more soft-snow oriented while the Joy's more hard-snow oriented.

Below is a profile with the Kore on top, Joy on bottom/ You can see that the rocker extends further from right to left than the Joy, which helps with float. The Joy has more camber (the little gap in the middle where the bases don't touch), which helps with edgehold in icy conditions.

1708634490655.png
1708634502400.png

From the top, the tips are differently shaped. The Kore has more "taper" than the Joys (i.e., are is the tip more of a long oval-y shape vs. circle-y. Or I like to compare them to manicures where do they look like almond, oval, or round nails).

Taper helps a ski glide more cleanly in soft snow. Think aerodynamics, but for powder. But that means the tapered effective edge isn't in contact with the snow in firm conditions & you're on your edges. The Joys would have a few extra cms of edge helping with hold in firm conditions - especially if it's icy or you're skiing at speed.

1708634536535.png
1708634549706.png

mustski

Angel Diva
I haven't tried the Kore but the Total Joy holds an edge beautifully and is very easy to ski. However, 153 is way too short for you. I'm 5'2" - 135 lbs and I skied the 163 (my usual size) and it was very friendly and easy to ski. If you go too short, the ski may feel unstable and feel like it's preventing you from progressing. The 158 would be a good compromise if you don't want to jump to the 163.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreeing with everyone else that 153 seems to short for your height/weight/progressing skill level.

And also, because no-one has asked yet - if you have outgrown your skis, have you also outgrown your boots? Do you perhaps also need a boot more suitable for progression and advancing your skills?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna