• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Days you’ve been on snow 2023-2024

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
39 so far. Every single.one a week day so far, unless I add three short days on nordic gear.

Hoping to break.out of the cycle tomorrow if me second job permits.

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
Days 10-14 at Whistler! Another 5 days of skiing in a row.

Went up to take one of the women's camps this past weekend and then joined friends to ski Mon-Weds. Whistler ended up getting a decent dump of snow from Saturday evening until Monday morning which made for some really fun conditions, especially at 7th Heaven and Symphony. Got to work a lot on bumps and did my first few tree runs!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Just back from a Reno trip. That brings my total to 7 days skiing.

In two weeks, back in the Sierra for at least 1 day skiing, and I'm hoping conditions hold up for 2nd and/or 3rd weekend in March for another Wisconsin run or two. I've had ZERO runs at my local (Wilmot) even though I have 3 free days there. Maybe next week I'll pop over after work midweek if they have any snow.

Also thinking about an Easter weekend trip...

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 39! Back at Welch this week after a lovely (if only ~50% open) Lutsen trip last week with friends. Snow was nice and pivot-y for training despite 40F+ temps daytime. Absolutely gorgeous sunset, too!

Did my first outside-the-handles toboggan run -- quite fun. Prep for future moguls. Ours already disappeared this year due to mud ruts :( 3 more folks signed off on basic sled handling tonight, which is pretty cool. Nice to have such a great group of incoming, motivated skiers that want to participate in training next year :D

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished day 31. Nursing my toe through it's heeling. It's just in a very bad spot on top/in between pinkie toe and next toe so have to baby it. Daily wraps with medihoney and wearing flip flops for shoes is helping a lot. Haven't free skied in a couple weeks but taught for a day and a half last weekend. Healing is going great and once I get a few more days under my belt I'll likely free ski a couple hours this saturday.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
48 now
- 46 morning and afternoon privates… I had a 5 yo in the morning who was too cold toward the end — and had a family in the afternoon (2 kids, age 7 and age 9) got the unstable brother age 7 parallel skiing on greens and at the end we did a blue run and he did so well! He listened to everything I said and he followed my tracks to close his turns.
- 47 morning and afternoon privates… morning was same client as previous but parents made sure he was bundled well and we learned hockey stops and skiing backwards (his request) turns linking turns. At the end mom got to video him linking backwards turns and hockey stopping. Afternoon was a young teen who really wanted to get better at skiing so we worked on outside ski and closing her turns on blues. Once we did that we took it to bumps and blacks and she did so well! She was really pleased. Then ran into the family and we picked up her dad to join us and she practiced carves with her new closed turns. We took it to more blues and blacks off the gondola and quad.
- 48 all day kids 7-14 yo level 4. Several in my group were high level 3 and not able to stand on skis on green terrain all the time, and several were completely parallel on greens and ready to take it to blues. So talk about a class split. All in all I did what I could with getting them to stay parallel in ungroomed green terrain and we practiced side slipping and hockey stops. We used traverses and we tried to stay parallel on the center of our skis, kids skiing parallel on green couldn’t do so on blues bc they were quite aft. So worked on that for the advanced kids, and traversed for the kids in the wrong level. At the end of class the parents were really grateful to get them in the right group.

And, all the tips this holiday weekend. Wow. It’s not all the time that people open their wallets.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
48 now
- 46 morning and afternoon privates… I had a 5 yo in the morning who was too cold toward the end — and had a family in the afternoon (2 kids, age 7 and age 9) got the unstable brother age 7 parallel skiing on greens and at the end we did a blue run and he did so well! He listened to everything I said and he followed my tracks to close his turns.
- 47 morning and afternoon privates… morning was same client as previous but parents made sure he was bundled well and we learned hockey stops and skiing backwards (his request) turns linking turns. At the end mom got to video him linking backwards turns and hockey stopping. Afternoon was a young teen who really wanted to get better at skiing so we worked on outside ski and closing her turns on blues. Once we did that we took it to bumps and blacks and she did so well! She was really pleased. Then ran into the family and we picked up her dad to join us and she practiced carves with her new closed turns. We took it to more blues and blacks off the gondola and quad.
- 48 all day kids 7-14 yo level 4. Several in my group were high level 3 and not able to stand on skis on green terrain all the time, and several were completely parallel on greens and ready to take it to blues. So talk about a class split. All in all I did what I could with getting them to stay parallel in ungroomed green terrain and we practiced side slipping and hockey stops. We used traverses and we tried to stay parallel on the center of our skis, kids skiing parallel on green couldn’t do so on blues bc they were quite aft. So worked on that for the advanced kids, and traversed for the kids in the wrong level. At the end of class the parents were really grateful to get them in the right group.

And, all the tips this holiday weekend. Wow. It’s not all the time that people open their wallets.
No kidding I taught all last Sunday on presidents weekend and they were great lessons but the tips, good ones, that just doesn't happen all the time. I feel rich lol. Very grateful. Holiday times definitely seem like better tipping times. Plus our cafeteria workers give us free breakfast and lunch. They said we're outside in the elements all the time so we deserve it

Had a full heart this weekend on all fronts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got home from my last trip to Massanutten yesterday. Total for VA/WV is 17 and that's it for this season. I'm heading west next week and have two trips in March.

Had the best 5 days in a row in northern VA ever. Combination of weather, friends and family around, and the new lift and trails being 100% open. Mnut has about 10 acres more skiable terrain with all the new trails open, including the double-black under the new detachable lift that goes from mid-mountain to the top. Took my friend to Bryce on Friday for her first day of the season. Mnut started making snow last week, got an inch or two of wet snow overnight on Friday, and was able to have round-the clock snowmaking on Saturday. By Pres. Day all the icy patches were completely covered by fresh snowgun snow. Most people had left so the slopes were empty.

Monday and Tuesday it was cold in the morning, snowguns were on until mid-morning, and temps got into the 40s in the afternoon. We had to leave at 11am on Tuesday as it was warming up.

Massanutten, Saturday, Feb. 17 about 4pm - cold enough all day for snowmaking on selected slopes
Mnut 17Feb2024 - 3.jpeg

Pres. Day, Feb. 19, view on Mueller's Mile at 3:30pm
Mnut 19Feb2024 - 1.jpeg

shadoj

Angel Diva
@marzNC Those are absolutely gorgeous views! Looks like great snow, too. Autumn's gotta be amazing for hiking. Still hoping to ski the mid-Atlantic/east-central with any Divas out there in the next few years. Love not having to deal with altitude and mega-resorts :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC Those are absolutely gorgeous views! Looks like great snow, too. Autumn's gotta be amazing for hiking. Still hoping to ski the mid-Atlantic/east-central with any Divas out there in the next few years. Love not having to deal with altitude and mega-resorts :smile:
I never get tired of the views at Massanutten. The range in the distance is part of the Shenandoah National Park. One of the entrances to the Skyline Drive is 20 minutes from Massanutten. Great hiking any time.

The Indy Pass is a good way to sample skiing in VA/WV since Massanutten and Bryce are on it. Well worth paying for a day at Timberline. Canaan Valley is very close by and on Indy.

I thoroughly enjoy "spring skiing" in the southeast in Jan or Feb when temps are in the 30s after a cold spell that allows for day time snowmaking.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Days 11 and 12 at Holiday Valley this week. (We shall not speak of Day 10 and the lesson I took in a sea of death cookies last Sunday at Kissing Bridge. Lol.) We could not have been more lucky with the snow and sunshine. In a year that has mostly been a slog, we had two bluebird days with excellent grooming. My husband and I had our first ski-in/ski-out experience, catching 9 early morning runs while the groggy teen hung out in the hotel room this morning. Just great, leisurely skiing with the family, practicing my pole touches and good turn technique. Despite the holiday week, it was really not crazy busy and very manageable. Hoping to go back for a 3-day trip next year!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 40!

Oh so patrol-y. Snow was really good for the first 1.5 hours or so, then became scrapey between piles (except for on the north shaded slopes, where I wasn't, until later in the day). Still had a blast. Met a new transfer patroller (whose hill closed after 15 days this season in IL, eek!), ran into an awesome lady I met at back bowl opening earlier this year, helped out a few folks, and even got some compliments on my turns from an instructor visiting from another local hill. Apparently our snow is better than elsewhere in the metro, heehee. Season feels like it's starting to accelerate towards spring waaay too fast, though. Not getting in all those Indy Pass day trips I planned :mad2: <-- and not trying to burn off any remaining snow... sigh.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day #21 here.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for Spring Break, but we don't want to fly - so it's looking to be a road trip of some sort here in the pacific northwest. We haven't made solid plans yet because really really need snow here and don't want to get locked into paying $$$ for a subpar vacation.

Was looking into some options, but my son's spring break isn't until the second week of April and most things close the week before! Whistler was an option we had thought about last season, but I'm afraid their minimal base won't last this season - not a great season for us. So far it's looking like Mt Bachelor in OR since it will be open and has the best snow pack to last through spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga