• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dalbello Krypton Kryzma Boots (2010)

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got a chance to try my new boots last week at A-Basin. I should qualify and say I was also on new skis, a pair of Head Wild One's, 150's - shorter than I usually use, but I wanted them short for tight tree skiing at Breck (when we get some snow...sigh). My other skis, Salomon Lady Rockers, do better off-piste, so didn't want to use them for the early season groomers.

The Dalbellos are the first "high performance" boots I have owned, and the result of the most thorough boot-fitting experience I have undergone. I tried every boot in the shop, walking around rotating different brands on each foot for a couple of hours before I picked the Dalbellos. They were expensive ~$650, but worth every penny.

Specs:
- Cabrio Design: D-62 P.E. Shell/Cuff
- Kinetic Response Tongue
- Dynalink + DC Cable Closure
- F-101 Alu Buckles 3 Microadjustable Inverted
- Forward Lean Control
- Forward Flex Control
- Twin Canting
- 2 Interchangeable Tongues Stiff and Medium Flex
- 2 Interchangeable Footboards Firm and Anti-Shock

The liner is custom heat-formed around my foot and I am using the Medium Flex Tongue and the Firm Footboard. I also have custom footbeds, also heat-formed. Can't remember the brand, but bought the best ones I could.

These boots are so responsive, I fell three times in the first 50 yards. I consider myself advanced and this was humbling. Every time I moved, I overshot :frusty: Then I figured out that I didn't need all the effort I had been using on my old boots, softened my movements, and didn't fall again all day; flew down the hill as if on wings! When my foot moved, my ski moved instantly. By the end of the day, I was in love.

Dalbello Says: "The Krypton Series is engineered for advanced, performance oriented skiers seeking a close and precise fit that is sensitive, stable, and ultra responsive." I would say these boots are as advertised.

The boots were, no question, the best I'd ever experienced. Thanks to my fitter, Kevin at The Ski Shop in Colorado Springs, they wrapped around my foot like a glove. I will have to tweak a bit; my only complaint was a bit of a tingle in the big toes - not much and once I got to ripping, it faded into the background. I also may need a cant adjustment on the right side, due to a bit of leg length difference. I did not get cold feet; the ambient temperature was a balmy 35, so I can't speak for the colder days.

The boots look very cool, subtle graphic design and with a narrow profile. The dark silver on black is very elegant. That's me on the right in the picture and you can see the boots are smaller than my ski buddy's, though I have quite a bit bigger foot. They are also a couple of inches higher on the calves. This didn't hinder the flex (which is adjustable by changing out the tongue to suit.) The boots were very comfortable - didn't pinch or bite anywhere.

Haven't tried them off-piste yet. Can't wait! They are gonna be so sweet on the bumps....I can just feel it!:yahoo:

Attachments

• KermaSuZOct09.jpg
    KermaSuZOct09.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 50
  • DalbelloPic.jpg
    DalbelloPic.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 46

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Suzie, I'm so glad to see this.
I have been a dalbello fan for a few years, but more so since I got into the Kryzma last year.
There is a thread about my boot experience last year,... https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5572&highlight=Kryzma

The big problem is that, between my travels and work schedule, it took me some time to get back to Jim to get foot beds. When we did custom foot beds it supported my arch enough that I needed to get a size smaller boots, so I'm starting all over with the 2010 Kryzma this year.

I really enjoyed my Storms but after getting into the Kryzma with the performance flex,.....WOW!
I'll post side by side pics of the 09 and 10 Kryzma when I get them side by side.

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are so Hot, SnowHot!

Thanks for the pictoral on your boot fitting. Sounds like you've got a good fitter. We gotta ski together some time. I'm sure you'll smoke me, but I'd take it with good humor!

I'm an incorrigible skier. What I lack in skill, I make up for in gumption (to use the Western term.) Since I'm well....not so young as many Divas...I try to take advantage of the best technology to even the field as much as possible.

My bf doesn't ski. Such a tragedy....he just rolls his eyes when I, enthusiastically, get into the intricacies of a fitting a boot. He does bike and motorcycle, though; so he does get the "you gotta be balanced" thingie. And, he understand about high performance gear and what an obession that can be. So, I ski with my gf's. He worries about the ski bums, though, when I'm in the high country for days at a time. But my philosophy has always been they are like Big Macs. After a long day of skiing, they smell really good, and taste even better. They are readily available, fast food, so to speak, and available almost everywhere. But the next morning, you feel sluggish and not so good, wish you'd stuck to health food. Not good for you. Like a Big Mac, ski bums always go to your hips. Hah!

Whoops. One shouldn't post after a few drinks, I guess.:ROTF:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I make at least two trips to Colorado(Summit County) each season, with the possibility of three.
I wouldn't bet that I'm better than you, after all I'm a hick from Michigan that has only started to really learn how to ski the past few years after spending 20+ years just keeping up with the boyz.

You and I definitely need to get together!

DH skis but he's a Dirtbiker and Snowmobiler first and foremost, so he skis with me, while he dreams of other toys with motors.
You know what this means? We have to ski together and then do Apres' Ski with the boyz!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
But my philosophy has always been they are like Big Macs. After a long day of skiing, they smell really good, and taste even better. They are readily available, fast food, so to speak, and available almost everywhere. But the next morning, you feel sluggish and not so good, wish you'd stuck to health food. Not good for you. Like a Big Mac, ski bums always go to your hips. Hah!

:ROTF:

THAT is hilarious!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We won't be making any stops at McDonalds on the way.... :wink:

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Suzie,

I have skied the krysma for the last three years--i love it. This year I got the ID liner that wraps around and really like it too. My foot is very low volume and I have skinny,high calves--so this is the boot for me. I am amazed at the number of Krysmas I am starting to see everywhere.

My middle buckles used to bind up on four buckle boots---this boot, with three buckles holds me in the heel pocket all day-- I am surprised when clients ask me if the heel should be coming up in their boots---no way, I say!!! These boots keep my heels in the pocket, flat on the boot---yes, they are so responsive too. Kelly

skiki

Diva in Training
:help: Lucky girls getting even hold of a pair! I now am trying to find a store in Holland, Belgium or Switserland so I can try them on.
I found 4 reasonable candidates in 4 different stores but neither of them gives me the "wow" I hope the Kryzma can provide me!
- Gents pro version in a 26: great shoe, a bit too stiff and loose on the ankle
- Lotus: only available in a 25.5, very comfy but maybe a little soft?
- Lange Competite (110) in a 26: Great fit but it feels very basic and without compromise. I love to have great control but I am afraid of the comfort being a bit too tough.
- Electra 11: 102mm wide compared to 98mm of all above. They were the first Dalbello's I ever tried, felt very comfortable from the beginning but will the wider fit give me the control I want?

In my opinion the Kryzma's will give me a compromise between the comfort of the Electra 11 / Lotus and the accuracy of the Lange. Do you agree on that or am I expecting too much from the Kryzma?

I would appreciate your advise!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try the Storm, it has a nice flex point between the Kryzma and the Lotus.
The Kryzma is a 120 flex while the storm is more around a 100 +/- flex.

The Kryzma is similar to the mens pro version, maybe a tad softer.

skiki

Diva in Training
Thanks for the advise, unfortunately I am up to my last option to buy any Krypton boot this year. I found a store willing to try and find me a pair but so far no reaction from them yet. Furthermore I found out that the Kryptons were never distributed in the Netherlands, fingers crossed for Belgium!

Mighty Mouse

Certified Ski Diva
I just bought a pair of 2009 Lotus on evogear for $225. I would have prefered the 2010 model and a part of me thinks the Storm is probably the right flex for me but that price savings was too hard to resist. The boot sure fit my high arched, low volume foot the best. Evogear shipped out the same day!

skiki

Diva in Training
I found the Kryzma's (I hope...)!
A French web-shop has them and I ordered them for delivery somewhere next week. If I don't like them, I can return them but it will cost me the shipping.
This is going to be two looooooong weeks!

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can I ask what flex were you using? I know you said medium but it didn't specify lol. Would that be too much boot for me? I weigh around 120 lbs, and was just told 90-100 would probably be max flex for an aggressive/advanced skier at my weight (unless I misunderstood)

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flex

I'm not a pro, so I only know what I've been told, what I've read and how boots feel to me. I've been told that flex settings are not standard across brands, so what may be a "100" for one brand may not be a "100" for another. Someone who works in the industry might chime in with better info.

I am an advanced skier, with expert aspirations ~130lbs, very aggressive. I am using the medium tongue, which I was told is best for all-mountain use. The tighter the boot, the stiffer the flex, the more quickly the skis seem to respond. But, the tighter the boot, the less forgiving the set-up becomes. I like the comfort of knowing that my boot moves the skis when my foot moves, especially in the trees and moguls. My experience (mileage may vary) is that the deeper the snow, though, the softer I like the flex. So medium is a good compromise for me as I like to go all over the mountain.

I read the following on a web site:
https://www.chiff.com/a/ski-boots.htm

"If you can flex the front of your knees forward to a point
between the base of your big toe and approximately one inch beyond it, you have a good range of flexion. However, if your knees stop at your instep or go way past the big toe, you need to have your boots flex-tuned for your particular lower body. Make a note of this test result, so you can discuss with your boot fitter."

The site also said: "In terms of comfort, the expert skier needs a boot that he or she buckles up in the morning, and rarely needs to adjust throughout the day. There should be no pain, pinching, or pressure points, and your feet should never get numb or cold. The fit should be so good that you don't mind leaving them tightened up during your lunch break. [I never loosen my boots during the day, though I may tighten them after the first hour.]

In terms of performance, aspiring experts need boots that they hardly know they are wearing. The boot should feel like an extension of the foot. When you roll your ankle and foot, even slightly, you should get a lightning fast response from the inside of the boot to the edge of the ski. The time lag should be minimal."

The Krysma with the medium flex tongue gives me all of the above.

Since both tongues come with the boot and are easy to switch out, you may want to just try them both. Good luck

skiki

Diva in Training
I just got an e-mail that it's last year's model and they offer me a 25% discount :(. I think they can do better, last years items usually go for 40% at our local store, even more when the end of the season is near.
I'm in doubt about what I should do, go for the Salomon instincts I tried and liked or wait for my "dream" boots which I never tried. :decision: Waiting until next year gives me no guarantee I will find them, no store in Holland or Belgium will want to order them for me without the guarantee that I will buy them. Other option is to go to Switserland early in the season to buy them at the shop I really like, they will be happy to order them for me and won't mind if I don't buy. But that means a trip to Switserland just to buy boots... :loco:
I will definitely keep above advise into account when I try the Salomons again, I am afraid they are a bit soft but maybe their 90 compares to a 110-120 on the Dalbello scale...

Artski

Diva in Training
Dalbello Kryzma

Wow, I am so stoked to encounter this Dalbello Kryzma discussion!!! ~And to scroll down, read Suzie Coyote is 130 lbs... I am 5'7", 130 lbs., prob. ski 50-60 days a year, + some Nordic mixed in too. I have made it on the same pair of Alpine boots for 10 yrs. now, and am possibly buying the Kryzmas on Monday. I felt oddly, slightly bullied and rushed into it by a high pressure, fast talking, boot fitter who does not mess around. I went in to his shop just to sort of begin to figure out what I am going to do, and WHAM! The Kryzma. The whole custom prcess isn't cheap, and I drive a car worth only (3?) times what they will cost me, ha!
I have found very little discussion regarding these boots, few to no reviews, :clap::clap:and am thrilled to find yours. Cheers to you all! Thanks, Artski

Artski

Diva in Training
Hello, I learned a little more about this today while trying on boots. Lowdown I learned:
Flex is often a result of one's height. Even if someone weighs the exact same as me, which is 130 lbs., ~if they are much shorter, the leverage on the boot is different. I am 5'7". Someone 5'3" does not torque the boot over the same, flex it the smae, just less leverage. Like a sky scraper coming out of a boot vs. something short, yet weight is identical.
Made sense to me, hope that helps!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This year I ordered a Storm instead of the Krysma--just to try them out. I was amazed at the difference--I just did not like the flex pattern as much on the storm. I am 5'3" weight about 150 (gulp) and am very strong. i put the new liners in my old Krysmas and took off!! I really love this boot, I have such great control with it--and the flex pattern is gradual and just plain perfect.

You can adjust the boot so that it flexes between 90 and 110. There are lots of little pieces that fit into the boot which increase the flex. Also, the Krysma comes with two tongues and two boot boards. i use the softer boot board because I like the extra bounciness for my bad knees. I use the medium tongue and have some of the stiffeners in the boot. I like about a 100 flex--but everyone is different and it really does not matter as long as the boot works for you. Kelly

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga