• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Coworking Spaces at Ski Resorts: Good Idea or Bad?

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One possible good result of a specific co-working space is that the co-workers wouldn't be taking up needed tables in the serving area of the lodge - they'd be in their own space. Obviously that requires certain policies to be in place in order to work properly. I know Mammoth has started something; I'll be interested to hear how it goes this season.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it a question of not being able to disconnect from work while skiing, or not being able to disconnect from skiing while working?

I teach high school history; not exactly a high-powered jet-set occupation but my god, the essays; the grading. The school year is a tornado of constant responsibility. Whenever I'm skiing , it's on time stolen from work that could/probably should be getting done. So answering e-mails or making phone calls during breaks in the lodge helps reduce anxiety when I'm actually out skiing. I could go phone-free when I'm "off-duty" but it would mean getting outside a lot less often. So, I think it's more of an intentional choice of when and where to connect so as to enjoy the non-connected time more fully.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
My thought as always, if they make it available, someone choooses to do it, and it doens't infringe on YOUR day, who cares what someone else does? Really, it's none of my business if someone else chooses to do something that doesnt affect me. I like the idea of getting them out of the lunchroom... that DOES potentially affect me. Otherwise I feel like I'm having judgement and opionions on something that has no relevance to my universe.

newboots

Angel Diva
Barely-Related Thread Hijack:

New co-working space has opened up in my town. I only need work space 1-2 days/week, but I'm going to try it. I have so much left to unpack and organize here, and general housework, and of course eating, I never get my work done. It's probably a move-in special, but it's only $79/month. When the price inevitably goes up as it becomes full and crowded, I will see about a discount since I can only use it one day/week.

https://www.woodstockschoolhouse.com/

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Mammoth has started something; I'll be interested to hear how it goes this season.
I missed one of the "open houses." There were very few hideaway spots at Main lodge for work calls - I would run into the same people trying to find a "quiet space."

The "FORT" is described as follows:
On Mountain / Main Lodge
A private haven of comfort and connectivity just steps from the slopes on the 2nd floor near several base lodge amenities. FEATURES Ski-in/ski-out convenience;480 sq. feet of workspace; Ultra-fast internet; Private conference and phone rooms; Private desks and lounge seating; Lockers and storage; Stocked refreshments; Free parking;Winter bus service.

Thats tiny. 480 sq feet? how big are the conference and phone rooms? Free parking? aka you can park far far away and get the "winter bus." Everyone has free parking at Main ;)

The interesting thing is that they are offering the FORT Annual Pass which includes current 17/18 Cali4nia Pass (4 mountains season pass), 2018 bike park pass and lift access to Mammoth and June Mountain through January of the 2018/19 for only $139 more than the current season pass. Thats a deal.

In fact its a better deal than I can get as a current pass holder if I purchase A Bike Park pass and pay the "discounted rate" of 40$ mo for 12 mos. It will Cost me $200 more and I will have to buy a new pass to ski Nov/ Dec/ Jan. Hmmmm that makes me happy as a pass holder. :nono:

I understand the necessity of having interaction with people if you are really working from home and that having a "office" to go to is beneficial. I think the downtown office will be better. The on mountain? Maybe just for a quiet place to have a phone conversation. But nothing more. I will have some "weekend" 2 hour seminars this winter that I am now able to attend virtually rather than in person. I would rather ski home to my condo to attend.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just thought of this thread. I haven't skied in ages on account of work. Today I'm lucky enough to have a break in workload and am done teaching at 1pm. I was planning to be boots-on-snow by 2:30 and ski into the evening; maybe have a beer, a bowl of chili, ride some uncrowded trails and see whose phone number ends up on a napkin in my pocket (kidding!! :becky:).

I've been looking forward to this since last week. And now my plans are ruined. Ruined! I have a Skype job interview at 4:30.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm super glad someone has found me potentially employable enough to call, but WHAT FRESH HELL IS SKYPE? What are they gleaning from looking at me that they couldn't get from a phone call (a phone call that I could have taken in my car. At the ski resort). All they're doing is talking with me a bit to see if they want to invite me out for an interview. There is NO reason this needs to involve video unless they're trying to make me prove that I know how to use my computer.

Anyway, if my resort had rentable workspace, I would be happy to pay to use it. Alas, they do not. So I'm stuck at home trying to figure out what to do with a jerk cat who screams all the time and what f...ing backdrop and lighting arrangement will be most appropriate.

Sigh. Sorry for the salty language.
I knew this would happen to my ski season, so it's all good. Just a bummer that there's no way around being stuck at home.

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat - I feel for you!

Trying to decide about skiing today despite work deadlines. I cancelled work tasks yesterday that involved driving to Massachusetts “because of the weather.” The weather was “bad” - and there was a foot of new powder on Killington!

Today I hurt, not from skiing but from 1 1/2 hours of driving on treacherous roads the day before. Tied up my shoulder muscles into a big knot.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today I hurt, not from skiing but from 1 1/2 hours of driving on treacherous roads the day before. Tied up my shoulder muscles into a big knot.

Ugh, that's the worst. Glad your drive was safe, though.
The Strong House Spa in Quechee is imho an excellent place for an upper-body massage!

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
A designated coworking space would be nice at Snoqualmie where Saturday’s in the bars are dominated by non-skiing parents on laptops while their kids are in ski school. I don’t really understand why they’re not also skiing. Sometimes I wonder if among advanced skiiers (the parents) they’re too good for the low elevation and short runs at Snoqualmie and don’t bother to ski I guess? They could head over to hayak or Alpental if that’s the case. My BF runs into a few spouses who have SO’s in ski school while he’s on the lift waiting for me in class but it’s so dang hard to relax and get a beer after class if the bar is full of laptops right next to signs that say “no laptops no books.” I suppose it’s like working in the coffee shop delemma: is one coffee purchase sufficient for several hours of squatting?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna