• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Conversation with Fear

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The book "Inner Skiing" that I found on Amazon is by a man who had written a series of of Inner Games books, came out in 1997. Doesn't seem connected to Mermer's book.

I read this one too. I actually read it first. I found this website not long after I decided to I want to ski the hard stuff so when I saw "In the Yikes Zone" I searched it in amazon it was out of print and prices on the used one were ridiculous, but Inner Skiing was recommended on the book page and it was cheap:smile: It actually liked it much more and it was shorter. And it's practical. I was looking forward to some insights in the 'Yikes Zone' as it written by a woman but couldn't relate to it at all. Though when she was writing about non-skiing issues it was more interesting.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I don't have fears related to skiing, I could related to Mermer's thoughts and examples of irrational fear based on other life experiences. Although I'm not a ski instructor, I'm interested in understanding more about how women think who do ski through their fear. I've skied a few times with women who learned to ski as adults. They clearly were both having fun skiing but had major fear issues at the same time. On a ski club trip to SLC, had the experience of not being able to convince one woman that she really could get down a slightly steep blue while I did get the other one to finish the trail. The first walked down. At the time, it didn't make much sense to go a one week ski trip out west and then only ski green runs.

I learned to ski at 31. I read few times about people who were afraid and chose to walk down the slope but I haven't yet seen the run where you could just take skis off and walk. What would they do if there wasn't an option to walk down? Plus isn't it actually easier skiing the steeper stuff than walking down it?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I learned to ski at 31. I read few times about people who were afraid and chose to walk down the slope but I haven't yet seen the run where you could just take skis off and walk. What would they do if there wasn't an option to walk down? Plus isn't it actually easier skiing the steeper stuff than walking down it?
For the situation I was in, the run was quite short. Sort of a connector type of trail. But no matter what I said, the woman was sure it was impossible to do anything but walk down. I was only an intermediate myself then, so didn't know nearly as much as I do now in terms of helping a beginner/intermediate who is stuck. It wasn't really that steep so she had little trouble doing getting down. I've also seen a few people walk down on the blue runs at Massanutten, which are relatively short.

When my daughter was being taught side-slipping early on, perhaps when she was 5 or 6, it reminded me that I learned that skill when I learned to ski on straight skis in middle school. So always had a way down no matter how steep the trail was . . . without even thinking about taking off skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was looking forward to some insights in the 'Yikes Zone' as it written by a woman but couldn't relate to it at all. Though when she was writing about non-skiing issues it was more interesting.

I decided to finish off the book. Also finding it more interesting when relating to life experiences that don't involve skiing. Perhaps that's why they re-printed without a picture of a skier on the front.

I can feel some connection when I think about how I'm making decisions while getting around during knee rehab. There is a fine line between not doing an activity because of irrational fear and cautious avoidance based on knowledge about potentially harmful results if something goes wrong. Sometimes I have to consciously override my body's natural fears. For instance, I can stand and do something easily now, even if it takes more than 15 minutes. But when standing at the sink doing dishes, I find myself leaning against it in the way that was necessary 6-7 weeks ago. Similarly for limping. I have more than enough Range of Motion to walk normally, but a slight limp can sneak in at times.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Life experiences were more interesting to read about but I am not sure the word 'fear' would be correct in many circumstances. When starting a new job, moving to a new place, can we really say that we are "scared''? Bit nervous, probably, but definitely not scared. In your case it's more clear - you are expanding your body's boundaries so being cautious and trying to go lighter is understandable and in no way irrational. And some protective reactions from your body are normal. It's not exactly consciously choosing to stay on crutches for foreseeable future without actual neeed for them - THAT would be irrational and probably an option for people who get "petrified". Irrational fear makes one consciously choose irrational solutions that often make original situation worse, not better - like walking down the slope. In terms of safety nothing is gained by taking skis off, and the opposite is often the case - actual safety is sacrificed. Or constantly stopping when being scared of getting hit when skiing - this increases the chance of getting hit, not decreases it. Rational solution to irrational fear would be to ignore it. Irrational - to accommodate it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga