• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Colorado Divas - Georgetown?

mustski

Angel Diva
With my impending retirement and the IKON pass including unlimited days at Winterpark and Copper, we are considering renting a place in Georgetown for a month. We understand that is is about 40 minutes to Winterpark and about 50 to Copper. Does that sound right and is there any reason this is a bad idea?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
is access to mountains the only thing that is important? if its the only thing that is important, then i would say get something on the west side of the eisenhower tunnel. i hate the traffic on i-70 when it's east of the tunnel. georgetown is nice - one thing i have never liked about it though is that it is deep in the valley and it makes for a lot of shade. in terms of front range towns on i-70, ive always liked evergreen because it's nice and sunny. my SO's father is in evergreen and i quite like it there. georgetown is very intersting though!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
georgetown would be better for winter park access though!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I drive to the mountains every weekend from Denver. I went to Breck for many years before moving to Snowmass. I truly dislike driving over Berthoud Pass to WP. It gets slick and nasty. Otherwise, Georgetown is a decent plan.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only downside is there is a pass getting to both ski areas. Getting to either one on a powder day could be difficult. Weekend traffic could be nasty depending on when you are traveling I-70. Sunday afternoon traffic backs up from Silverthorne east to Idaho Springs after 11 am. Worse around 3-4pm.

mustski

Angel Diva
We are planning on skiing weekdays only. I am concerned about the two passes for sure. The place is a heck of a deal though. It's a 3 bedroom house for $79 a night. We could stay a month! I am debating it. If you had to choose one of the two resorts for most of your weekday skiing, would you choose Copper or Winterpark? I've never been to either.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Georgetown is a lovely, beautiful little town...only downside is it gets dark by 2-3, as it sits low.

I love and ski both WP and Copper, but mostly ski Copper (home mountain)...BerthoudPass can get rough during a storm, but so can I70 west of Silverthorne...Berthoud Pass is a very pretty drive!

I like your idea...

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I would choose Copper over Winter Park. Copper is one of the areas on our bucket list with the new pass.

However, since the last time we skied it was probably 20 years ago, I will let Colorado skiers chime in with a more recent comparison.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would choose Copper over Winter Park. Copper is one of the areas on our bucket list with the new pass.

However, since the last time we skied it was probably 20 years ago, I will let Colorado skiers chime in with a more recent comparison.

They are different mountains, but both can be fun, especially when your pass gives you that access...

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
A guy on Pugski just did this for 2 or 3 months this winter with his family and had a great time. He did ski Loveland a lot, but also WP and Copper.

On I-70 much of the battle is getting a head start, which is easy to do if you’re starting in Georgetown. And yeah, it’s cheap. :smile:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No grocery stores in Georgetown. Shopping will be in Idaho Springs, Frasier (Winter Park) or Dillon, Frisco (Copper).

I prefer Copper to Winter Park but it also depends on what you like to ski.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
With my impending retirement and the IKON pass including unlimited days at Winterpark and Copper, we are considering renting a place in Georgetown for a month. We understand that is is about 40 minutes to Winterpark and about 50 to Copper. Does that sound right and is there any reason this is a bad idea?
I wouldn't want to spend an hour and a half each day driving. I would use the money saved on gas to get a location closer to the hill. The weather can be terrible for driving here in a storm, and if the road is closed you won't be skiing anywhere. As far as the mountains go, both have positives. I think there is a better variety of groomed runs at Copper, but if you like bumps and trees then Winter Park is excellent.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as the mountains go, both have positives. I think there is a better variety of groomed runs at Copper, but if you like bumps and trees then Winter Park is excellent.

I agree with this...Copper is also a bit steeper, but it has so many nice long runs, with spectacular views..skiing the bumps and trees at Mary Jane/WP can be a pretty special experience!

CDOT does a great job keeping the roads and passes clear...It seems like most of the trouble/accidents happen on Vail Pass, tho...it closes frequently...so, you would be avoiding that.

It's such a great deal in Georgetown!!

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks everybody. We decided to skip the place in Georgetown. We plan to stay for 2 weeks in Winterpark ... I want to get better at bumps and trees! The a week at Steamboat and a week at Copper. We'll just change accommodation. I was worried about the geography as I am unfamiliar with the area. With a pass on each side, Georgetown is out of the question.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga