• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado All Around Ski - Advanced Intermediate

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Many skiers look for comfort in their boots which is why Christy probably put you in a softer boot. I have a friend who skis in an 80 flex boot. She way over flexes them. She won't go stiffer because "her boots are so comfortable".
Picking up on this - what does it mean to over-flex a boot?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picking up on this - what does it mean to over-flex a boot?
It's basically where the boot isn't supporting you to transmit your movements to your skis because the force you're putting through them is actually flexing/collapsing the plastic instead.

I am a similar level to you though less strong (and undoubtedly older than you). I ski the ATOMIC HAWX PRIME 105 S SKI BOOTS WOMENS boot, bought it for the '20 season and I love them. Super comfortable and part of the purchase involved a heating process that helped them conform to my feet and ankles. I have custom inserts made in Stowe at a great bootfitter that have lasted shockingly long mostly because I haven't been able to ski many days a season for the last decade (5-15 per season).

And after years of skiing Volkls, I now ski Blizzard Black Pearls. I have them in 88 width which are great for groomers, packed powder, and bumps. I also have them in 97 width and those are solid crud busters but heavier. You might try demoing them. I am 5' 6.5" and used to ski a 163. The Blizzards are 159 and I'm surprised at how nimble they are as a result. Given your height and strength, I would think that a 163 - 165 would work well. I've learned that I like to ski a wider/stiffer in a slightly shorter length.

Have fun demo-ing and ultimately buying! I would start with the boots and when you're all set with that, move onto skis.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds appropriate.

I asked about her boot size to gauge if flex was the only obvious boot concern.
Yes, I was just wanting to be sure there was not confusion coming from the salespeople when selecting boots to try on. I have known some women who have been put into boots that were either a bit large, but the flex was good, and vice versa.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes, I was just wanting to be sure there was not confusion coming from the salespeople when selecting boots to try on. I have known some women who have been put into boots that were either a bit large, but the flex was good, and vice versa.
Right, which is what sounds like happened to the OP already....right size, wrong flex.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
The 80 flex and short ski length both got my attention.
I'm 5'10" and 200lbs and wear men's boots (Lange RX120 lv). I have an amazing bootfitter who not only measured my feet, but looked at all of my leg and noticed that I am not only tall but I have a long lower leg. I was basically crushing my Salomon XPro 80 boots. I was spending my energy flexing the boot instead of sending that power into the ski. Given my height and weight at the time (175lbs) and my very strong legs from running, he gave me the mens RX120 boot knowing I could handle it, and I did. Made a HUGE difference in my skiing.
As for skis, I ski 168-174 lengths depending on how much tip rise there is. I would look into bumping your ski length up if you're looking for a new ski. Definitely demo if you can. That will help to find the right ski and length for your needs.

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
The 80 flex and short ski length both got my attention.
I'm 5'10" and 200lbs and wear men's boots (Lange RX120 lv). I have an amazing bootfitter who not only measured my feet, but looked at all of my leg and noticed that I am not only tall but I have a long lower leg. I was basically crushing my Salomon XPro 80 boots. I was spending my energy flexing the boot instead of sending that power into the ski. Given my height and weight at the time (175lbs) and my very strong legs from running, he gave me the mens RX120 boot knowing I could handle it, and I did. Made a HUGE difference in my skiing.
As for skis, I ski 168-174 lengths depending on how much tip rise there is. I would look into bumping your ski length up if you're looking for a new ski. Definitely demo if you can. That will help to find the right ski and length for your needs.
Thank you so much for sharing your stats! I think the same thing is happening to my poor boots. On more technical terrain I kept thinking that my legs just didn't seem strong enough to turn the skis like I wanted to. Now I really think my legs are plenty strong and my poor boots just couldn't take it. :smile: I am definitely going to deal with the boot situation first and then try to demo a bunch of skis.

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
H
I am a similar level to you though less strong (and undoubtedly older than you). I ski the ATOMIC HAWX PRIME 105 S SKI BOOTS WOMENS boot, bought it for the '20 season and I love them. Super comfortable and part of the purchase involved a heating process that helped them conform to my feet and ankles. I have custom inserts made in Stowe at a great bootfitter that have lasted shockingly long mostly because I haven't been able to ski many days a season for the last decade (5-15 per season).

And after years of skiing Volkls, I now ski Blizzard Black Pearls. I have them in 88 width which are great for groomers, packed powder, and bumps. I also have them in 97 width and those are solid crud busters but heavier. You might try demoing them. I am 5' 6.5" and used to ski a 163. The Blizzards are 159 and I'm surprised at how nimble they are as a result. Given your height and strength, I would think that a 163 - 165 would work well. I've learned that I like to ski a wider/stiffer in a slightly shorter length.

Have fun demo-ing and ultimately buying! I would start with the boots and when you're all set with that, move onto skis.
Heh...I mean I'm not young. :smile: I am going to have to demo the Black Pearls since so many people love them!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@tika55 … definitely take a look at the shell fit when they’re fitting you. If you’re going to Outdoor Divas, you’ll probably be fine, but it’s always good to understand the process, even if an expert is helping you. I’m a size 10 foot in a 24.5 boot and it’s absolutely “comfortable” (you know, for a ski boot) … I have a custom insole taking up the room under my foot and keeping my arch from falling down while I ski, so the 24.5 is perfect. And I challenged the boot fitter (who is quite good) to go DOWN a size on me because as folks have said above, many people cannot understand that a super snug fit in the shop is probably the right fit clicked into skis and definitely the right fit as the liner packs out.

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
@tika55 … definitely take a look at the shell fit when they’re fitting you. If you’re going to Outdoor Divas, you’ll probably be fine, but it’s always good to understand the process, even if an expert is helping you. I’m a size 10 foot in a 24.5 boot and it’s absolutely “comfortable” (you know, for a ski boot) … I have a custom insole taking up the room under my foot and keeping my arch from falling down while I ski, so the 24.5 is perfect. And I challenged the boot fitter (who is quite good) to go DOWN a size on me because as folks have said above, many people cannot understand that a super snug fit in the shop is probably the right fit clicked into skis and definitely the right fit as the liner packs out.
Thanks for that information! I am a climber so I am definitely not afraid of footwear being snug. :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Thanks for that information! I am a climber so I am definitely not afraid of footwear being snug. :smile:
If you haven’t seen the Patriot Footbeds Bootorials, watching those before going to get my boots was SUPER helpful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga