• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cold toes

Jilly

Staff member
If I heated my boots to more than room temperature, my feet would just sweat more and I'd be colder faster. In fact I let my feet "air" before I put on my socks. They are dry and maybe a little cool.

Sometimes you just have to experiment.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe part of the problem is that I had to heat my boots (because of the ZipFits). I'm going to try something different, hopefully on Friday (start of a 2 week ski vacation!!!). Thanks for all of the input!

marzNC

Angel Diva
With ZipFits, I use a heated boot bag to make sure that I always start with warm boots. What do people do with Intuition liners? I assume that a heated boot bag might not be good for the molded liners.
When I had Intuition liners, I still used a boot dryer. Got them at Alta and was told not to worry about it. The temp of a dryer is not high enough to matter. Never had a problem.

From a warmth standpoint, changing to Intuition liners made a noticeable difference. Having more room for my toes because of the "toe caps" used during the heat molding helped with circulation I guess.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With ZipFits, I use a heated boot bag to make sure that I always start with warm boots. What do people do with Intuition liners? I assume that a heated boot bag might not be good for the molded liners.

When I had Intuition liners, I still used a boot dryer. Got them at Alta and was told not to worry about it. The temp of a dryer is not high enough to matter. Never had a problem.

Depends on the dryer, I'd imagine. I have the ... snapdragon? .. and the temp at which it blows is modestly warm. But when I asked my bootfitter about my new molded shells + heated boot bag (I don't have one yet, but want to see Kulkea's offering next year) - he said the heated boot bag at the highest setting can get up to 160* :eek: So Beth's heated boot bag could very well be an issue unless she keeps it at the low setting.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@snow addict : The boot gloves are not only great in very cold weather. They're also quite helpful in slushy spring conditions as they keep your feet totally dry! I hope you can obtain them "across the pond".

Oh, yes, we use boot gloves in addition to our Lenz heated socks! Left that out.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
I really like my Hotronics. I keep my boots in a locker at Whiteface, so they are warm when I start. Never set them higher than two, my feet aren't hot and don't sweat, just don't freeze. I only recharge them every couple of times skiing, not a big hassle to strap on. And believe me, it's cold here, skied plenty in below zero to ten above. But maybe they wouldn't be so good in other climates, or starting with cold boots. All I know is before I had them I got frostbite!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't worn my ski boots since last season, but I swear the new boots (with my old liners) are colder than I expected. It was a warm day today, very warm, and my toes still felt a bit chilly. Hrmmmmm. Or maybe I just didn't remember that toes are never actually warm?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, YAY @bounceswoosh ! You're out there!
Did you buy a different boot brand?

Yes. The boots that fit best in the store were Fischer Vacuum. Then I had the shells molded. Replaced the stock liners with my Intuitions because they're still the warmest out there. *So* comfortable.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am waiting for my appointment with one final bootfitter. I'm in total despair over my inability to get a boot to fit. If he can't help me, I can't ski. It's too awful to either have no control because the boot is too big or control but agonizing pain from a too-smallboot. I can't justify spending any more time or money on this fool's errand.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Trust me, I know your pain!!!!! I've only discovered two places that could solve my problems: a private individual working out of a bike shop in Whitefish, MT was best ( a ski diva instructor there referred me). He was a racer himself for many years and went on to coach a kids' team. He does all their work.
The 2nd is the The Boot Doctor (himself ONLY) in Telluride, CO. Do not waste time with his underlings! Since it's my favorite ski mountain it was a win-win situation. Once resolution was found, all other boot fitters must copy their work.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is hope. I have a foot that is very hard to fit. I skied yesterday and today on brand-new boots, and I have no hotspots, the toes are right where they should be, the heel stays put, the whole package.

My neuroma is still unhappy, which may be unavoidable, but at least it's not being made worse by "sixth toe" pressure. I'm seeing the fitter Sunday to see if there's anything to do about the neuroma - he thinks so. I'm skeptical.

mojo

Certified Ski Diva
I have been in the same frustrating despair with boot fitting. My left foot is happy in any boot but my right foot has yet to find one that gives a matching support and control. It seems like every boot fitter has their own idea about what to do, I've had a complete opposite opinion on adjustments from one to another with more money out the window since it ended up to be another dud. Being able to not think about my right ski boot would be heaven, not sure if that exists. It can be agonizing when all you want to do is buckle up and go!!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pure agony is from where I speak! Boots have caused me to have two surgeries!!!!!

One so far for me! I was going to get a second one, but then I had to have ACL surgery instead ... and they conflict ...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, my! Surgery, ACL, neuroma...I feel churlish for having complained. I just have a narrow, very lv foot that happens to be crazy long.

I had a positive experience today with Marc Stewart at the Windham Mountain Boot Lab. He punched the toes out much more, which solved most of the problem, then he softened the flex considerably and cleaned up the jagged remnants of butchery from previous boottfitters. I may need to add some filling to my ZipFits to get things really super-snug, and I definitely need to install Hotronics.

But I did a few quick runs on them, and so far, so good.

The really cool thing is that he put me in a very narrow women's Fisher boot that fit really well, so it's heartening to know that there are boot options out there for me when these Lange's die.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat funny - the boots that are fitting my wide foot so well are Fischers! I guess we're past the days when boot companies only catered to one type of foot each!

merrydog

Angel Diva
My neuroma is still unhappy, which may be unavoidable, but at least it's not being made worse by "sixth toe" pressure. I'm seeing the fitter Sunday to see if there's anything to do about the neuroma - he thinks so. I'm skeptical.

Bounce has your fitter tried adding a metatarsal pad to your footbed? Each neuroma is different so this may or may not help but for me adding the pad allowed my foot to "spread" out and over the neuroma and it was slightly happier.

Of course the challenge was keeping it in place while getting in and out of a tight boot, over time the adhesive was not able to keep it in place.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bounce has your fitter tried adding a metatarsal pad to your footbed? Each neuroma is different so this may or may not help but for me adding the pad allowed my foot to "spread" out and over the neuroma and it was slightly happier.

Of course the challenge was keeping it in place while getting in and out of a tight boot, over time the adhesive was not able to keep it in place.

Yeah, I've been wary of anything that could bunch up in my boot. I have an appointment with him tomorrow specifically about the neuroma - I've never experienced the neuroma without corresponding bunion pain, so that's exciting and new.

I noticed today that when I'm skiing, my left neuroma acts up. When I'm walking, the left neuroma is fine, but the right one flares up. Weird.

Also I may need a 1mm punch for my right middle toe - not something that's ever come up before, but I don't have much toenail there, and I could feel it hitting the front of my boot uncomfortably when I walked.

OH BUT GOOD NEWS - my Intuitions + boot gloves were toasty warm on this chilly day. It's a little hard to be sure, since this lesson group skis very differently than I'm used to - more warm up breaks and such. And no upper mountain to really get frozen. But still, it was a very cold day - 9 degree high mid-mountain (according to Opensnow).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga