• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cold toes

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
@Mary Tee Ditto. I always switch my street socks to ski socks. I've had frost bite on my toes so I am careful, i use toe heaters, boot gloves but some days they still get cold. I look for bathrooms w/blow dryers to heat my boots back up..
I too need new boots but my old ones are soo comfy I may look into intuition liners..

I don't think I've ever had frostbite, but I think have a mild case of Raynaud's syndrome ...fingers and toes turn white and numb.

newboots

Angel Diva
Circulation might be part of my issue. I tried not tightening my boots too much, but then my right heel moves a little bit.

My friend who has skied for 51 years swears by this method (in addition to Hotronics) - loosen the 2nd buckle while riding the lift, and re-tighten before skiing again. FWIW

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My friend who has skied for 51 years swears by this method (in addition to Hotronics) - loosen the 2nd buckle while riding
I have Intuition liners and am still always fiddling with boot buckles. Tight while skiing and then I loosen on lift up.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with boot fittings and numb toes and all that, but I would bet that perspiration is a big contributor. I can't even imagine how much feet must sweat encased in neoprene. If it is, Mary Tee was right about antiperspirant.

Back in the day, we had two tricks for keeping toes warm.

1. Spray your toes with antiperspirant before putting on your socks. Keeping your toes dry is essential to keeping them warm.

2. A ski instructor told me about this 40 years ago. This one is worth experimenting with. If you sprinkle cayenne pepper on your toes before putting on your socks, it may keep your toes warm. Follow my logic. Capsaicin is often used in muscle creams and rubs. It irritates the skin slightly, bringing blood to the skin's surface. It makes your skin feel warm. By bringing more blood to the skin on your toes, your feet may feel warmer. BUT, if your boots are not insulated enough, the blood may chill prematurely, making you feel even colder. YMMV.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My issue was leaky Langes and sweaty feet. I went to much thinner socks, a smaller boot, Therm-ic heaters, and TheSkiDiva kindly provided me with Boot Ducks for testing with my leaky boots. Now I very rarely get old feet.

I've been playing with the Boot Ducks since last spring and they have held up well through about 15-20 days slush and powder so far with no sign of any leaks. The tight fit of the Langes atop my higher instep makes dealing with the excess material a bit of a hassle, but otherwise I've been pretty impressed with (basically) a baggie in my boot. No idea on price, though. You can read my initial review here.

mojo

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Ski Divas! I'm 64 years old, skiing for 40 years, grew up skiing the damp cold of Michigan and now living in SLC during the ski season since retired, 90-100 days. Have been able to put up with cold toes up until the past couple of years but don't want to deal with it anymore. Just bought heated ski socks by Lenz at Lift House ski shop near BCC in SLC on advice of Luke and Zach. Retail at $300. Will post how it goes!

newboots

Angel Diva
Hello Ski Divas! I'm 64 years old, skiing for 40 years, grew up skiing the damp cold of Michigan and now living in SLC during the ski season since retired, 90-100 days. Have been able to put up with cold toes up until the past couple of years but don't want to deal with it anymore. Just bought heated ski socks by Lenz at Lift House ski shop near BCC in SLC on advice of Luke and Zach. Retail at $300. Will post how it goes!

Welcome, Mojo! I will be eager to hear about the heated socks!

Anne

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum @mojo please keep us posted on the socks and how they work and hold up.. also congrats of being retired and living the skiers dream.. 90-100 days is awesome!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ditto what they said! Welcome, and let us know!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
It did get below zero at Steamboat last week; I wore Smartwool socks, with chemical warmers over the toes and neoprine boot gloves over the boots and, while my hands were cold, my toes were not.
I, too, will be anxious to hear about your heated socks!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have the Lenz heated socks and last year got them for my daughter; we both have Raynauds. I can ski all day in moderate temps (20s F) on level one and stay comfortable, colder days I need to up the setting but easy to do with the phone app - I don't even need to pull up my pant leg! I know we have another thread on heated socks going on.

So far I love, love them. From a design flaw perspective I wish the batteries had an off switch or lock. Too easy for them to get pressed in travel and turn on - I keep the batteries in a plastic container in my ski bag.

I don't have liner upgrades and have never tried boot heaters. We like the socks because they can be used in other situations - snow shoeing, cross country, uhhhhh, soccer?! My daughter is actually going to have to start wearing them to soccer practice and in-club scrimmages (no games, ref wouldn't allow). She came off the field last Sunday (it was in the 20's, windy, really bitingly cold for soccer) and she could not feel any of her toes; when I checked them in the car it was frightening how cold they were. Akin to picking up a rock that had been sitting outside.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Lenz heated socks and last year got them for my daughter; we both have Raynauds. I can ski all day in moderate temps (20s F) on level one and stay comfortable, colder days I need to up the setting but easy to do with the phone app - I don't even need to pull up my pant leg! I know we have another thread on heated socks going on.

So far I love, love them. From a design flaw perspective I wish the batteries had an off switch or lock. Too easy for them to get pressed in travel and turn on - I keep the batteries in a plastic container in my ski bag.

I don't have liner upgrades and have never tried boot heaters. We like the socks because they can be used in other situations - snow shoeing, cross country, uhhhhh, soccer?! My daughter is actually going to have to start wearing them to soccer practice and in-club scrimmages (no games, ref wouldn't allow). She came off the field last Sunday (it was in the 20's, windy, really bitingly cold for soccer) and she could not feel any of her toes; when I checked them in the car it was frightening how cold they were. Akin to picking up a rock that had been sitting outside.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of heated socks over the boot heaters. My toes are still sore from skiing on Sunday, so I have to do something. I'm going to try Intuition liners (from Larry's) first. I'll go over to the heated socks thread if I need something beyond the new liners.

Sunday night I was thinking that spending time in a tropical climate would be nice, but then again the snow on Sunday was really fun...

mojo

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the welcome! Since retiring at 60 we've hit the 100+ day mark the first 4 years and 90 last year. Had knee replacement done May 2014, was back skiing that November with a 100 day season. There is a good thing about getting old, being able to retire and have free time to ski!
Have enjoyed reading posts regarding boot fit since I've struggled with that for a number of years. Just picked up a pair of Salomon XMax 110w and the Lenz heated socks. I also have Raynaud's in hands and feet. After a couple of really cold days up at Alta recently and ending up with the typical numb toes decided to get something to help keep me on the slopes longer before having to go in to warm them up.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got new boots and after a weekend miss my intuition liners from my AT boots.

I think I'm going to splurge on intuition liners for my new boots. My feet were almost never cold with them.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gorilla tape over toe of boot - better than duct tape because it has some give and is stronger. Need to replace mine for the new season, but fixed my quarter size wet spot on big toes.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got new boots and after a weekend miss my intuition liners from my AT boots.

I think I'm going to splurge on intuition liners for my new boots. My feet were almost never cold with them.

That's what I did! Be aware that they can impact the flex of your boot. In my case, it was a problem because the flex was just right before changing.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ZipFits are pretty cold compared to stock liners or Intuitions. I am afraid there is no long-term solution other than wiring your boots or just sucking it up (or go for Intuitions that have a reputation for their warmth - my fitter prefers to put me in ZipFits for the hold and additional stiffness even that they stock Intuitions too, but YMMV. Intuitions also will cost close to Hotronics, so if you end up spending that kind of money, Hotronics + ZipFits makes more sense than swapping ZipFits for Intuitions. Alternatively if you kept your stock liners try skiing with them and for fit look for other solution than different liners.) My old Atomics also leaked which didn't help but luckily we don't have many super cold days so after duct-taping the boots second solution mostly worked for me. On super cold days I go inside often, but last time it happened was in 2013, since then my boots were bearable at worst, so while I do consider wiring my boots from time to time, I keep postponing it till the issue is truly pressing. I am not sure boot gloves even exist here, but will look into it specifically. Maybe they can provide some additional warmth on cold days.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With ZipFits, I use a heated boot bag to make sure that I always start with warm boots. What do people do with Intuition liners? I assume that a heated boot bag might not be good for the molded liners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga