• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can we talk skinny skis?

B

B.E.G.

Turn radius is definitely a factor too. I thought I liked stiffer, damper skis, but the last couple seasons, I'm realizing that I actually do prefer lighter, livelier skis, even if they're not quite as comfortable.

I had a conversation with BF and he thinks that my BPs are fine and I don't need skinnier skis to improve my technique. Not sure how I feel about that :-\ He's a super experienced, cliff-jumping, double diamond skier who also worked for a while as an instructor. I was telling him that yeah, I can improve on my BPs - they ARE versatile - but it would be easier for me to do it, and learn how to carve better, on skinnier skis. I don't know...

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a conversation with BF and he thinks that my BPs are fine and I don't need skinnier skis to improve my technique. Not sure how I feel about that :-\ He's a super experienced, cliff-jumping, double diamond skier who also worked for a while as an instructor. I was telling him that yeah, I can improve on my BPs - they ARE versatile - but it would be easier for me to do it, and learn how to carve better, on skinnier skis. I don't know...
Yep, you can learn to carve better on BPs. During a lesson in Dec, my coach decided to do some basics to help the advanced intermediate man who also came for the senior clinic. We went to the steeper green slope. He wanted us really put the skis on edge for one big turn, with the goal of keeping them even. The first try I didn't quite get it done, as shown by tracks that were good but not very deep. The second time, I got it. The instructor pointed out to the other guy that it was a bit harder for me to get the BPs on edge like that compared to the narrower skis he was using.

Per usual, it depends on what you want to do. BF's advice is only one consideration.

If you didn't spend money on skis, would you put that money into more lessons?

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a conversation with BF and he thinks that my BPs are fine and I don't need skinnier skis to improve my technique. Not sure how I feel about that :-\ He's a super experienced, cliff-jumping, double diamond skier who also worked for a while as an instructor.

@B.E.G. - And how big is this BF? And he's a cliff-jumper. You are tiny - and a lower level skier than he is - so even though he worked a while as an instructor, you may want to ignore him (sorry BF) and give a few narrower skis a demo. There can be a huge difference between 'fine' and 'great'. (when DH says 'just fine', he means 'MEH'). I can ski my HB's and my 72 waisted carvers equally well, but they do behave differently, and the 72s are much easier to get on edge. (I used to be an instructor - in the 70s - talk about skinny skis!). Not every skinnier ski will rock your world, and it may take a few runs to adjust from a wider ski, but it is well worth your time to see the difference and decide for yourself.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the black pearls and the blizzard 8.0(80 mm waist). It is way easier to carve on the 8.0 than the 88 pearl. The width makes a big difference I think. I would get s skinnier ski for learning and keep the black pearl for fun days and more powder days

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got myself a proper groomer ski for this season and the difference they make for groomers skiing is amazing, I don't think any all-mountain ski can come close in responsiveness and quickness edge-to-edge. If you ski groomers a lot you will truly appreciate a carver, something with 70-75 mm waist and tightish (around 13m radius). BPs are great skis for certain snow conditions and for moguls, but for zooming down hard pack they are nowhere near my Magnums. You are lightweight, so may like Heads Super Joy. Dynastar Elite Light is another ski I tried and enjoyed, and loved Volkl Violas when demoed them. Lot of good skis in this category, definitely demo some, I am sure there is a ski out there you won't be able to resist.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
B.E.G., you HAD carvers last year, well a skinnier waisted ski. The Temptations, I believe? You decided, a probably rightly so, that the Kenjas were not allowing you to learn to carve properly. What happened to those skis?

I would say that if you want to add a narrower-waisted ski to your quiver it couldn't hurt. I'd keep the BPs too, though. Plenty of opportunities conditionwise for you to prefer one or the other.

B

B.E.G.

@canski He's not super big (5'10"ish, 160 lbs) but he's really aggressive and fast. Been skiing forever and is not just better than I am, but much more risk-taking than I'll ever be (for example, he's done the Banzai race the last couple of years). Because he's not a big guy, I think his view is that my size isn't the limiting factor for skis, but even though we're both on the lighter side for our respective genders, I think the aggressiveness is a pretty big factor.

@frenchgirl That's what I was thinking of doing but going even skinnier than 80! :smile:

@snow addict I think I should be looking at 70-75, not 75-80, just so I don't really overlap with the BPs. Super Joy is a contender for sure - I'll scout out Squaw tomorrow and see if they have demos mounted.

@maggie198 I had the Temptation 82s, so skinnier than the BPs but not really in carver range. I have those - currently unmounted. I replaced them because I wasn't loving how heavy they were feeling and I wanted something lighter and livelier (hence BPs). I'll probably take those up to MT for skiing when I'm there instead of keeping it in CA. And yes, definitely keeping the BPs! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
The Temptation are an all mountain ski no matter the waist width. Groomer carvers should also be torsional stiff. An all mountain ski genera may not be.

The Dynastar Elite light is a step down from the Pro.

Tomorrow is demo day here at Tremblant. I have a list based on some stuff at the store and some from here. I will get those BP and report back. We had new snow yesterday, but it got scraped off pretty quick. So it's eastern powder for sure for conditions!! And my edges need some work after 7 days on this crap!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna