• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Calling all minimalists

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, we have many Quiveristas out there, but who shares my predilection for the humble OSQ (one ski quiver)? I own two pairs of skis, technically, and two pairs of boots but one setup is for backcountry and one is for downhill. I quite like having a OSQ, I never have to second guess my choice of ski on a given day and I know how to ski them in all conditions even though they don't excel at everything.

If we want to take the whole minimalism thing even further, I also only have one ski jacket:spit:.

Anyone else out there share my simplistic tendencies? Or am I the only one (I sometimes feel like that, on ski forums where big quivers tend to be the norm....)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not quite OSQ, but close. I have skis for the Mid-Atlantic short groomers (no more than 3-5 min to finish) and even shorter bump shots, and I have Black Pearls for everything else. Just got new Mid-A skis (78mm) this summer after using old a pair of Volkl AC1 (70mm) that were bought used for my daughter before she decided to switch to tele skiing. When I fly, I only take the BPs even though I have a double Sportube. I do rent fat skis if I get lucky enough to catch a powder storm during a trip out west that dumps >6 inches.

Christy

Angel Diva
Yes. I'm just not that in to ski gear. I'm not even sure my skis are right for me, but I'm kind of lazy about demoing and buying, so I haven't tried to see if there's anything better.

I only have one ski jacket too as the other one I bought has turned in to my everyday winter coat.

I'm a sucker for base layers/mid layers/tops/puffy coats though. Just tonight I bought 2 new Icebreaker hoodie/pullover things. For wearing around the house. One new one wasn't enough apparently. So I have my weaknesses.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1 pair skis
1 pair boots
1 jacket I wear (2 others I will get rid of)

You are not alone.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went overboard with skis my first two years and then decided that I really like to use the same ski most/all of the time. That way I can focus on my technique and not think that the ski is causing issues. I sold the other skis, and I have two now.

Kastle LX82 - purchased this fall on super clearance - this is my main ski.
Blizzard Black Pearl - getting tech bindings installed now for some very light duty touring and uphill'ing at resorts. I did have to buy a pair of AT boots for this.

One ski jacket but multiple base layers depending on the weather. I wear my old ski jacket when I walk the dog. I do have lots of other jackets but only one outer jacket for skiing.

I have definitely gone a little crazy this past year. I'll ride out the season and then likely do some shuffling around by next season.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did this last year and this year. I'm down to just two pairs of skis, my Yumis and my Line jr. twin tips. I really only NEED the Yumis, but I figure one frivolous pair isn't too bad?

I'm also down to one shell jacket, and I just layer stuff underneath of it.

alicie

Angel Diva
I have 1 pair of skis, don't need another pair.

I have 1 ski jacket which is about 6 years old. I'm ready for a new one at some point. Lift pass in a chest pocket is inconvenient as some barriers have quite a low scanner and it's a bit awkward so one at the wrist would be so much easier.

I have two or three pairs of socks and three things of thermals, they last all week so don't really see the point of having more.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
My one ski quiver is a pair of 169 Santa Anas (like 100 underfoot? 102? :smile: ) I also have a backcountry setup.

I have 2 jackets and 2 pairs of pants, but that's only because I went a little crazy right after I moved to Boulder. After having about 3 inches of closet space to devote to ski clothes in my NYC apartment, I couldn't help myself. ;) (That said, they're all getting pretty gross at this point and have holes patched with duct tape -- perhaps time to get something else?)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I don't count my baselayers and stuff as being minimalist because I have a good bit of them, but then I usually wear them around as clothes, run in them, bike in them and hike in them so they get quite a bit of use.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think jackets and pants don't count when it comes to definition of minimalist. After all, you're suppose to "dress for condition". So depending no one's location and activity level, it's not always possible to do that with just one jacket/pants. Never mind base/mid-layers. (smelly undie anyone?)

But for skis, I do consider OSQ as a requirement for qualifying as minimalist. No slippery slopes to justify multiple pairs unless they're for entirely incompatible usage (bc, xc, etc). On that, I don't qualify, because I have TWO pairs of alpine skis. (wait, THREE! I forgot to count the shortie for teaching)

Having said that, I'm very close to being a minimalist by necessity. Not because I WANT just one setup. But because I have TOO MANY incompatible setup ALREADY:

1) Alpine (1 pr boot + 2 skis) -- this is what disqualify me as a minimalist!
2) telemark (1 boot + 1 skis)
3) in track xc (1 boot + 1 skis)
4) off track xc (1 boot + 1 skis) -- no, it won't fit into the tracks so it's needed
5) at some point, I hope to get a skating setup...

As you can see, how much time do I have to use each of them???

If I ever got good enough on telemark, I hope I'll just keep the tele stuff and say good bye to the downhill stuff! (how to par down the 3 different xc setup is a bit tricky)

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on team minimalist, though I can't say how I'd be if I lived somewhere more ski-focused. Skiing around here, I don't feel like I encounter enough differences in conditions etc to feel a need for variety in my setup.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you're suppose to "dress for condition". So depending no one's location and activity level, it's not always possible to do that with just one jacket/pants.

Meh. I have one shell outer layer jacket and one shell pants (well, I actually have two bc I've been pregnant off and on for the last few years so my bottom half is always changing sizes on me) and I just vary the base layers and mid-layers.

4) off track xc (1 boot + 1 skis) -- no, it won't fit into the tracks so it's needed

I have used my bc setup on occasion to do some touring. I make sure to stay off the groomed stuff and just do mellow bc touring loops where it's not a big deal if I use my fat bc skis with skins and I don't have to worry about messing up the track. But if I did actual legit xc stuff I'd probably have a set up for that.

I'm on team minimalist, though I can't say how I'd be if I lived somewhere more ski-focused. Skiing around here, I don't feel like I encounter enough differences in conditions etc to feel a need for variety in my setup.

I feel the same way lol, and I live in CO.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have one pair of boots/skis on long term (permanent?) loan to a friend who is learning to ski. I have one pair of boots (Lange - can't remember what model FR-80 or something like that), one pair of skis (Volkl Charisma 2013), 2 pairs of poles, 1 helmet that I use on a regular basis.

I currently have one coat that fits well, one pair of insulated ski pants, and numerous different pieces of baselayers in varying weights. I also own 4 pairs of goggles. I had 3 pairs of gloves, but I'm down to one pair right now. They get wet, so I need more than one pair if I'm skiing more than once in a weekend.

merrydog

Angel Diva
I'm a minimalist by nature though I have more than one pair of skis: backcountry setup, alpine skis and a pair for early season conditions because I'm obsessive about not losing base off my main skis if I can help it. I like skiing one pair of skis, not having to "adjust" to the skis and just focus on skiing.

I have two ski jackets, a down and a Gortex shell because I ski Tahoe and CO regularly. There are only so many layers I can put under a shell to stay warm skiing in CO and if I don't have something waterproof for Tahoe I will get wet. Also I have used other sports jackets for skiing when the temperatures are friendly, so that technically could be counted as more jackets.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does it really count as minimalist if you have a downhill ski and an AT ski? Some people have one ski they use for both!*

* I am mostly joking. Some people do this, yes, but AT bindings don't release the way downhill bindings do**, so there's a safety issue
** Maybe some do. Not the dynafits. The new G3s claim something about releasing ...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went overboard with skis my first two years and then decided that I really like to use the same ski most/all of the time. That way I can focus on my technique and not think that the ski is causing issues. I sold the other skis, and I have two now.

Kastle LX82 - purchased this fall on super clearance - this is my main ski.
Blizzard Black Pearl - getting tech bindings installed now for some very light duty touring and uphill'ing at resorts. I did have to buy a pair of AT boots for this.

One ski jacket but multiple base layers depending on the weather. I wear my old ski jacket when I walk the dog. I do have lots of other jackets but only one outer jacket for skiing.
Those LX82's are quickly becoming my one-ski quiver. Although I still drag out my others on days with a lot of fresh, those things are just so EASY and yet with the two layers of metal, are solid! Those and the BP's are a fine compliment to each other.

In the spirit of this thread, I have powder skis that I have yet to ski, because they are rather long and intimidating to me and because until I get my boots dialed in (very close) I just can't turn them with confidence. So, I have those (Savory 7's,) the Kastle LX82, and Blizzard Samba. I honestly think I would like to size down from the 98mm Sambas to something soft-snow oriented in the mid to upper 80's width.

Well crap, I do have a quiver. And way too many jackets and pants! At least I've sold a few on consignment (including skis) just recently!

I am most definitely NOT a minimalist, although I will say I'm starting to narrow down WHAT type of ski I like and want which might help me pare down a little. OK, what can I say, I like owning 3.

RuthB

Angel Diva
Another minimalist here. One pair of skis that I use. Technically I still have the ones they replaced but since their bases are close to the end of their useful life they will probably be stored and become part of the planned ski fence at our bach (cabin/hut). After seven days of skiing the new skis I finally felt today that I was beginning to understand how we can ski bumps together. I definitely have a preference for getting to know one ski and how to ski it in all conditions.

1 jacket and 1 pair of pants, both functional rather than fashionable. 1 helmet.

Baselayers - minimalist on ski socks and bottoms (three of each), but heaps of tops, but they get lots of use outside of skiing for biking, hiking, casual wear etc. Some icebreaker and all of the new favourites mons royale also get used for work on occasion.

Being a transient skier who has to fly to get to most skiing does suit minimalist tendencies, but the minimalist tendencies are evident elsewhere in my life.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@contesstant what ski are you thinking about that is soft snow oriented and 80-85?
just curious ... I was thinking you might like the Atomic Elysian or Vantage ski that got such rave reviews . I should have grabbed the Elysian when it was $299 on sale.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga