• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cagematch: Völkl Secret 96 vs Völkl Kenja 88

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In this cagematch comparison I'll go over these two siblings from Völkl
Both are good skis but they have different tenacity and may find a place in your quiver.

mustski

Angel Diva
Stockli is gone, but I'll bring my Secrets for sure. Bring your Kenjas and we can switch off! I'm bringing my Volkl Ones also and hoping for a good powder day!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'll be watching the weather and then determine what to bring.... I have some good choices........Sheeva 9, Sheeva 10, and Black Crow Camox Birdie (2017 version so different from current) @WaterGirl has them too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In this cagematch comparison I'll go over these two siblings from Völkl
Both are good skis but they have different tenacity and may find a place in your quiver.
Enjoyed the Cage Match. Will there be more?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Looking good @floridakeysskibum! Can't wait to ski together at DivaWest.

Question for @SnowHot . . . for low level "powder" let's say 2-12" out West, do you think Secret 96 would have more float than Kenja (or BP88) based on design as well as width. It is unreasonable for an East Coast skier to hope for some float from either ski?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Enjoyed the Cage Match. Will there be more?
Yes we're putting out more all the time.
Looking good @floridakeysskibum! Can't wait to ski together at DivaWest.

Question for @SnowHot . . . for low level "powder" let's say 2-12" out West, do you think Secret 96 would have more float than Kenja (or BP88) based on design as well as width. It is unreasonable for an East Coast skier to hope for some float from either ski?
Yes for sure the Secret 96 is more capable in snow that is edge deep to boot top.

RandomSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Comparing an equal length Kenja and Secret, would you say that the Secret has a higher skill barrier to entry than the Kenja, given the added weight and wider width offering less maneuverability? Or given the same construction, do they feel similarly enough that if you can handle a Kenja no problem, you will be equally at home on a Secret?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Comparing an equal length Kenja and Secret, would you say that the Secret has a higher skill barrier to entry than the Kenja, given the added weight and wider width offering less maneuverability? Or given the same construction, do they feel similarly enough that if you can handle a Kenja no problem, you will be equally at home on a Secret?
Not really a big jump in skill, but there is also an assumption that someone looking at a Secret 96 is skiing more variable ski conditions, so there is also an assumption that that skier is slightly more adventurous.

RandomSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Not really a big jump in skill, but there is also an assumption that someone looking at a Secret 96 is skiing more variable ski conditions, so there is also an assumption that that skier is slightly more adventurous.
Yes, very true. Thank you for the response. I was just curious as the Kenja and Secret are touted two of the more demanding women's skis. I wouldn't hesitate to jump from a Santa Ana 88 to 93 or from a 93 to 98 for example if the snow conditions warranted it. But in a more challenging ski, could that jump in width be significantly more impactful?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, very true. Thank you for the response. I was just curious as the Kenja and Secret are touted two of the more demanding women's skis. I wouldn't hesitate to jump from a Santa Ana 88 to 93 or from a 93 to 98 for example if the snow conditions warranted it. But in a more challenging ski, could that jump in width be significantly more impactful?
Talk to @floridakeysskibum and @mustski. Neither of these ladies care for a ski that's terribly demanding and they own either the new Kenja or new Secret 96.

I would say the Santa Ana 88 is more playful than the Kenja 88 simply because it has more rocker profile.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
RandomSkier, are you coming to steamboat? Both mustski and I will be there and we have demo bindings on those skis so you are welcome to try mine

mustski

Angel Diva
You can try mine also. I don’t find the Secret 96 demanding at all. It does pretty much whatever I ask of it. It slows down as easily as it speeds up and switches turn shape with ease.

RandomSkier

Certified Ski Diva
@floridakeysskibum and @mustski Thanks for the generous demo offer! I won't be at Steamboat, but thanks anyway.

I certainly plan to test the Secret 96 on my home mountains. Just wondering if I have enough skill at an advanced intermediate to handle the Secret 96 or whether I am more suited to a Kenja 88.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga