• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Caffinated Skiing

Happy Feet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read recently that Starbucks opened a ski through coffee venue at Squaw Valley. What a great idea. A latte for the lift. Has anyone been? Are there any others?

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that same article! I'd buy a latte...

DD's ski instructor routinely takes her coffee out with DD. I take DD and her skis, and DD can now get on the lift without the assistance, and the instructor throws out her coffee after getting off up at the top of the lift...

My biggest problem would be that I like to "nurse" my coffee. I'd be throwing out 1/2 cups regularly... also some colder days I think the warm coffee wouldn't be warm enough to justify standing outside while drinking it!

MonsteRawr

Certified Ski Diva
I find sometimes that my pre-skiing coffee will hit my system wrong and instead of making me feel bright and energized it makes me feel jittery and high-strung. I drink the same coffee in approximately the same amount every morning, so I'm not really sure why it affects me differently. But it's a bit unsettling to be flying down the mountain at 20 mph when I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. Anyone else get the jitters, and how do you calm yourself down?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A ski through coffee place is like my dream come true. :love: Although, I'm probably better off without one so I don't overdose on coffee.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is this thing you speak of? I do not understand... :tongue:
I normally drink only decaf, but I do indulge in a cup or two of regular on mornings when I ski. I find it revs me up and also helps my performance.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone else get the jitters, and how do you calm yourself down?
I am useless with 'real' coffee so also tend to stick to decaf, tea (which although also caffeinated doesn't have the same effect for some reason) or hot chocolate instead. If I do have some proper coffee and get a bit jittery I find physical activity and a milky non-caf drink takes the edge off.

Love the ski-through idea though!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would so need to pee all the time I'm skiing instead of just half the time ! And yes, geargrrl . . . kind of ridiculous!
How many distractions do we really need to allow to rule our lives? :ballchain: We went on a sleigh ride dinner the other night and the college girl at our table sent and received texts the entire time we enjoyed the (otherwise) lovely meal - as did her mother! :boxing: They were really sweet gals, but it was very distracting. I can just imagine getting someone's latte in my lap on the chair: that would pretty well spoil your day! Especially if you didn't live nearby or have a spare pair of ski pants. Or if the coffee was very hot - or the weather very cold.:brr:

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was skiing one morning a few seasons ago in an instructor clinic. I mentioned to the liftie that I sure could use a cup of coffee. By the time we got back down and went back up the lift, he had one for me! Boy, were the other instructors jealous.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So am I the only one that find this idea somewhat ridiculous? (Geargrrl)

No. Though my objection may be more to do with it being Starbucks. Also, I really lean on the excuse that "I need to stop for a coffee" when, in fact, I just to stop for a bit and sit down, at a table. It would be pretty entertaining if cup holders were installed on chairlift safety bars.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So am I the only one that find this idea somewhat ridiculous?

It does seem a bit privileged and over the top , but I'm not so sure it's a bad idea. There's an outdoor ski-up waffle place here at Okemo -- I've seen them at a few other NE ski resorts, too. You can ski up to a window and order a waffle (with or without chocolate sauce) or a hot chocolate, and there are outdoor tables where you can sit and eat. My problem is that it smells so damn good when you ski by that it's hard to resist (though I do!) :redface:.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was skiing one morning a few seasons ago in an instructor clinic. I mentioned to the liftie that I sure could use a cup of coffee. By the time we got back down and went back up the lift, he had one for me! Boy, were the other instructors jealous.

What? Sounds like some flirting to me...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Best. Liftie. Ever.

That's so awesome.

I think a ski-thru coffee shack would probably be most profitable as a tourist novelty, but I thought it was a neat idea when I had first read about it. Another issue would be trash... I'd definitely get an action photo and blog about it if the opportunity were to arise. But, then again, I blog about Hello Kitty duct tape, so I'm easily amused!

I remember being tickled when I saw CarverJill slide off the chairlift at Big Sky, coffee cup in hand, too. :becky:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no idea how that's supposed to work on a lift. I rode full chairs today, usually with a big guy on either side (with me in the middle they don't kick each other's skis or mine, which are six inches above theirs), and I have no idea how we'd get off with coffee cups!

Maybe it's at a base with gondolas? I could see that, especially with nice guys to load my skis for me. And someone at the top with a trash bag at the top to collect the trash before they hand you your skis. Otherwise they'd have coffee-stained snow and cups all over the place. Yich!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga