• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cable, dishes, streaming, etc.

Jenny

Angel Diva
And the sports is going to be the hard part - luckily the hockey season is looooong so if DH gets withdrawals, we can reassess and he'll still see plenty of hockey. Plus, he doesn't really care a lot if he sees it a day later, which I don't understand at all, but there you have it.

College football - we can probably find enough to watch without suffering. We're not rabid, but we do follow the Big 10 and would choose Michigan over any other game but we'll probably live. I'm almost always doing something else while the game is on, anyway.

And it's not an Olympic year, so we don't have to worry about that for a while. I know the main stuff is on NBC, which we'll get with the antenna, but we usually end up watching a lot of curling (winter)/sailing (summer) and other lesser televised sports on those other channels. But we can always get cable again for a couple of months and then cancel it.

I did find a Warren Miller channel so we can get in the ski mood - I've hardly seen any of those.
Drat, the Warren Miller channel is just short clips.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well I've been without TV for over a year.. missing football... so DH bought an air antenna 100$ we have a booster and so far it's working!! way better than Direct TV at 90/month!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm ruminating on this whole Roku thing. It's looking like ABC (Survivor, Amazing Race) are the only things I can't pull,in online- does this sound right? bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, History and PBS all look like they have online viewing options.

Antenna is not an option- we live under some towers and don't get reception, period.

Do the online shows have ads in them? That is one thing I love about DVR and On Demand....no ads.

altagirl

Staff member
If you have a REAL land line, the kind that comes in on copper wires, and an old fashion phone, and can spare the money to keep it, that's the only phone that will be working in a power outage!

Now, 9 out of 10 of those you want to call probably don't have a working phone in a power outage. That's a different issue.

I don't have a real landline any more. I got my internet phone for practically free as part of a "bundle". Not only I don't answer it, I even turn the ringer off so I don't get woken up at 8 in the morning!

I do use it to make calls. That way, I don't have to keep a high minute plan on my cell.

The funny thing is - my parents held on to their land line for a long time, but in the last couple years, the LAND LINE lost service due to power outages and weather issues that messed up the land lines, and at one point their cell phones worked fine while the land line was out for 4 days straight.

They finally gave up and cancelled the land line once it turned out to be less reliable than their cell phones. I don't know if that was a maintenance issue where they live or a fluke or what. But I haven't had a land line in over a decade.

Cell phone sites have some sort of backup power in almost all cases, as it's a federal requirement. In my experience, Verizon and AT&T do a better job than most smaller carriers about providing good backup power, and most of their sites have generators in addition to battery back up and are equipped to operate through power outages. If you have a serious situation with big earthquakes or massive flooding or something that actually destroys the site - then you're going to be depending on temporary sites (called COW's=Cell On Wheels) that they bring in to the disaster area, but in that dramatic of a case, your land line is quite possibly not much good either.

Now how you're going to keep your phone charged is a different issue, but you can buy solar chargers or backup batteries to keep on hand for that type of situation if you are concerned about it.

Part of the other issue with phones not working well in emergencies is that everyone is suddenly trying to use their phone all at the same time. You are best off trying to get texts through in those situations.

altagirl

Staff member
My best reason for keeping the landline seems to be that I can give out that number when I sign up for things and then never, ever have to answer it. So, it seems silly to pay for it and I'm canceling it this next week, while I'm still on a roll. If I wait, it won't get done. But I hate it when telemarketers call my cell, which isn't often because we don't give out the number, and I know I don't have to answer it, but it's just the point that they're bothering me. For some reason it seems more intrusive when they call me there than on the landline.

I gave our our old land line number for years and years after we cancelled it to people I didn't want actually calling me but who required a phone number. I kind of felt bad for whoever inherited our old number and then looked it up one day and it's now the number for the local Home Depot. Hahaha.

At least on my cell phone I can add my own caller ID of "DO NOT ANSWER" for the numbers who call me for fundraising and things that escape the telemarketing rules and can keep pestering you. I also refuse to answer calls from UNKNOWN numbers. I figure if it was actually important, they could leave a message.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well I've been without TV for over a year.. missing football... so DH bought an air antenna 100$ we have a booster and so far it's working!! way better than Direct TV at 90/month!!

We can't get any of the Albany stations on an antenna. Sometimes Channel 6, but that's it. We must live in a radio dead zone or something.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm ruminating on this whole Roku thing. It's looking like ABC (Survivor, Amazing Race) are the only things I can't pull,in online- does this sound right? bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, History and PBS all look like they have online viewing options.

Antenna is not an option- we live under some towers and don't get reception, period.

Do the online shows have ads in them? That is one thing I love about DVR and On Demand....no ads.

Give me a few days and I can look for some of this stuff. We're still learning over here!

Looking at the Roku channels I can see:

Lifetime - full episodes
History - full episodes
A&E - full episodes
PBS - original and featured programs - I've watched a few things on this one

Once I go into Hulu Plus I can find:

Last night's episode of Resurrection - ABC. Also on ABC are episodes of other current shows.

There's also an NBC channel, but I have to find a show that I know what season it's in to know if they're current or not.

Amazing Race does have all sorts of past seasons on the CBS channel (22 of them). What season is Survivor in? I can see season 26 as the most recent, I think. And I'm pretty sure we've determined that we'll have to go to the CBS website if we miss a current show, but we've just started trying to figure that out, now that the fall shows have started.

Discovery seems to be just clips. History channel extremely limited - like, two shows.

As for ads - I'll have to pay attention to see. I mean, I know they're there, but I tune them out so automatically that I don't know off the top of my head. On Hulu Plus, I think there may be one at the beginning, but I can't remember what it's like during the show!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Thanks Jenny. I'm pretty sure that for network (ABC etc) you have to either have an antenna or get a cable feed, there is not a web feed option.

Jenny

Angel Diva
DH will be trying out some online stuff directly from CBS soon, I think. Scorpion was on tonight, and he was at hockey . . .

ETA - neither of us can get CBS stuff on the tablets, we think (iPad and Android). He did say desktop was different and he could have watched CSI there.

Last edited:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Streaming web only content is where the Roku, shines, right? I am not sure that we could live without staying current on Survivor...

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's where I'm kind of dumb, still. We had to buy something to stream with, because we didn't have anything that already did it - like one of the gaming systems. I thought that we'd need something like that to stream directly to the TV, rather than watching our tablets. Otherwise, I think we could have just signed up for Hulu and Netflix and watched them without buying the Roku. So far I've watched a little bit of stuff on each thing - meaning a Roku specific channel (PBS & Smithsonian, I think), Hulu Plus (Daily Show/Colbert report), Netflix (House of Cards), and the antenna. I've also just watched a few things online, which I could have done without any new equipment or subscriptions - Property Brothers and House Hunters International on HGTV, for example.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We have a ps3 for streaming but the interface to get onto anything WEB based is truly horrific and unusable. It has a default set up for Hulu and Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon.

Jenny, are you connecting a computer right to the TV via HDMI?

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
We have a ps3 for streaming but the interface to get onto anything WEB based is truly horrific and unusable. It has a default set up for Hulu and Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon.

Jenny, are you connecting a computer right to the TV via HDMI?
No - the only thing connected to the TV is the Roku. When I watched the online HGTV stuff it was on my tablet.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI - https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog.../the-fcc-just-sacked-the-sports-blackout-rule

Not sure if there's more to the administrative process or if this is a done deal.

I just got Hulu Plus for the Roku (and iPad and computer). I missed last week's premiere for one of the shows I regularly watch, someone died in the premiere, and I couldn't wait an entire 8 days for it to become available to watch online. :smile: Thanks to Hulu Plus, I've also watched my two favorite episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

@geargrrl - I think almost all the network channels now make their shows available online 8 days after they were first broadcast, unless you have a cable or other type of paid (ie, Hulu plus) subscription, in which case you can watch it the next day.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We can't get any of the Albany stations on an antenna. Sometimes Channel 6, but that's it. We must live in a radio dead zone or something.
we raised the antenna up over the metal roof and now get local channels along w/their side channels! Had to work on aiming it to make them come in..

Jenny

Angel Diva
FYI - https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../the-fcc-just-sacked-the-sports-blackout-rule

Not sure if there's more to the administrative process or if this is a done deal.
I really don't understand the blackout thing anyway. If you don't feel a tie to your local team, then you're not going to lay out the cash to go to a game, and you can't develop a tie without getting to see them sometimes. So it seems to me to be a vicious circle. And while I probably won't ever go see the Lions, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy some of their stuff. (OK, I'll never see them and I'll never buy their stuff, but that's because I'm cheap and I don't care about them, but you know what I mean.)

And I get that they want to sell tickets, but perhaps they shouldn't charge so much if that's the case. I just looked up Detroit vs. Chicago and the best available (looks like second tier) tickets were $395 each. That's a lot of skiing!

Last edited:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
we raised the antenna up over the metal roof and now get local channels along w/their side channels! Had to work on aiming it to make them come in..
Nice! We looked into this years ago, before DirecTV had local channels. Maybe it's better now that digital tv is available.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I gave our our old land line number for years and years after we cancelled it to people I didn't want actually calling me but who required a phone number. I kind of felt bad for whoever inherited our old number and then looked it up one day and it's now the number for the local Home Depot. Hahaha.

I could always give out one that's on digit different than ours - then they'd get the high school attendance office or the golf course . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
Do the online shows have ads in them? That is one thing I love about DVR and On Demand....no ads
I can now relatively reliably report that The Daily Show and The Colbert Report have a commercial at the beginning, a couple partway through, and then another right before they sign off. (I say relatively reliably because I caught myself just automatically tuning out but I think I snapped back to attention in time.) I watch those on Hulu Plus. And you can't fast forward through them, either.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga